I’m going out on a very strong limb to judge a toss up on this one.
First, the New York Times, Jared Bernstein and everyone but Pres. Obama is pushing for the fed to get involved and create some kind of jobs program, while Larry Summers asks for more stimulus. But there’s still no real movement from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. yet.
A New York Times editorial today suggests that the federal government do some direct job creation to offset the weak economy. Why don’t we? Why won’t we? Why didn’t we do more of that in the Recovery Act? Is it because, as a Republican mantra would have it, “the government doesn’t create jobs — only the private market can do that?” Um… that can’t be it. There are over 20 million government jobs, about 17% of the total right now. And remember a few months ago, when temporary Census-taker jobs were boosting the employment rolls? It’s true we can’t have a robust job market if the other 83% aren’t generating jobs. But do me a favor–the next time someone touts that mantra, change the channel, stand up and shout something, or just do whatever it is you do when you hear an untruth. – Jared Bernstein
Then from the latest in the Anthony Weiner stupid files we have TMZ’s eye-popping gym photo spread. The rolling disclosure not shocking in the least, because this guy was in deep denial about his predilections, but the never ending crotch shots make Narcissus look humble, and adding exhibitionism to the list of gratuitous ugliness adds a new layer of creepiness to Weiner’s idiocy (though I still don’t think the Dem establishment has any authority to overturn an election by demanding he resign).
However, topping it off from the New York Times we get Pres. Obama’s reelection team working on their best pucker for Wall Street as they prep for 2012:
Mr. Obama, who enraged many financial industry executives a year and a half ago by labeling them “fat cats” and criticizing their bonuses, followed up the meeting with phone calls to those who could not attend.
The event, organized by the Democratic National Committee, kicked off an aggressive push by Mr. Obama to win back the allegiance of one of his most vital sources of campaign cash — in part by trying to convince Wall Street that his policies, far from undercutting the investor class, have helped bring banks and financial markets back to health.
Last month, Mr. Obama’s campaign manager, Jim Messina, traveled to New York for back-to-back meetings with Wall Street donors, ending at the home of Marc Lasry, a prominent hedge fund manager, to court donors close to Mr. Obama’s onetime rival, Hillary Rodham Clinton. And Mr. Obama will return to New York this month to dine with bankers, hedge fund executives and private equity investors at the Upper East Side restaurant Daniel.
“The first goal was to get recognition that the administration has led the economy from an unimaginably difficult place to where we are today,” said Blair W. Effron, an investment banker closely involved in Mr. Obama’s fund-raising efforts. “Now the second goal is to turn that into support.”
At least Anthony Weiner can be rehabilitated, even if he’s forced to do it outside of Congress.
Neither Obama nor Romney can be cured of campaign money junkie mania, while the middle class tries to stay afloat.