ANYONE WHO ingests too much edible weed is going to have a strong reaction, yes, maybe even get ill. Maureen Dowd became the poster stoner this week when she recounted her freak out after eating a whole bar of edible weed. The Twitterverse was unkind.
Now, unsurprisingly, it turns out Dowd received the warnings on edibles.
From The Cannabist:
When Matt Brown, co-founder of tourism company My 420 Tours, landed the January phone call from Dowd’s assistant he jumped at the opportunity to show her around. He picked up Dowd and her friend at the Four Seasons Hotel and spent three-to-four hours with them, he said, “giving her the behind-the-scenes tour and explanations that I had time and time again.”
So given Dowd’s awful experience with her overdose “” which was so potent that she wrote in her June 3 column, “As my paranoia deepened, I became convinced that I had died and no one was telling me” “” had Brown or anyone else warned the columnist about the unpredictable and potentially problematic nature of marijuana-infused edibles?
“She got the warning,” Brown said. “She did what all the reporters did. She listened. She bought some samples “” I don’t remember what exactly. Me and the owner of the dispensary we were at and the assistant manager and the budtender talked with her for 45 minutes at the shop.
Is it really surprising that Maureen Dowd tried edible pot, ate way too much, then proceeded freak out all alone in her hotel room?
Then Brown said Dowd called him out of the blue Tuesday, just hours before her column ran. They spent another hour or so discussing her extreme reaction to edibles and whether or not it was common, he said, but none of the information he offered made it into the piece.
Among the topics he and Dowd discussed in that phone conversation was how to avoid the kind of bad trip she said she suffered in her Denver hotel room.
“I don’t see a way for people like Maureen Dowd, who want to try (marijuana) and want to have a good experience, to be able to socialize around others and talk with others and get a better feel ahead of time of how much you should eat and what you should feel,” Brown told The Cannabist. “All of the problems that happened in her hotel room as she’s breaking off pieces of the infused candy bar “¦ there’s something missing. When she was learning how to drink alcohol she could have seen other adults using moderation and other adults in bars puking and making an ass out of themselves “” because it’s enjoyed communally and legally in bars. How do we have events and hotel rooms that are more open to this?”