Monica Lewinsky tells her story in Vanity Fair.PR PHOTO BY PHOTOGRAPH MARK SELIGER.

Monica Lewinsky tells her story in Vanity Fair.
PR PHOTO BY PHOTOGRAPH MARK SELIGER.

Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 11.59.02 AM

IT IS serendipitous that Vanity Fair is teasing their interview with Monica Lewinsky at a time when the Republican obsession with Benghazi is reaching a crescendo over the new Republican select committee. It allows the noise to grow louder on a different track, so Hillary Clinton‘s detractors can attack her on two fronts at once. It also reminds everyone the bar for impeachment according to Republicans, which isn’t Iran Contra, but instead was a “consensual relationship” between President Clinton and Monica Lewinsky.

In my new book, one of the chapters is Being Jackie, Being Hillary, with Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy and Hillary Rodham Clinton two women who have a lot in common where their men are concerned. They even talked about their husbands and the outside forces that would be hunting Bill Clinton, which the women had in common. It was a different time, with each woman caught in different stages of the sexual and feminist revolutions, after the feminine mystique collapsed.

Monica Lewinsky just before the turn of a new century made her own choices that included seeking out Bill Clinton and opening the door to what happened later.

…there seem to me a tendency to talk about women in two ways when it comes to sex and sexual activity, either they are terrible victims preyed on by older men as in Monica Lewinsky and President Clinton did a bad thing, and Monica Lewinsky was not a innocent victim completely, I recall some thong flashing there.Ruth Marcus

That President Clinton took Lewinsky’s thong bait, which includes her obvious interest in having an affair with him, proves that some men will take any risk for what President Kennedy reportedly called “strange,” because sometimes “lobster” isn’t enough.

“I love lobster, but not every night. If I don’t have some strange ass every couple of days, I get migraines.”President John F. Kennedy

It’s important to digest Ms. Lewinsky’s words to describe her involvement with Bill Clinton, which she viewed as a “consensual relationship,” purposefully staying away from the word “affair.”

What Monica Lewinsky is obviously trying to get across is that emotions were involved and that her involvement with President Clinton was not a fleeting fancy. Affairs, unlike relationships, are between people with at least one of them committed to someone else. An affair is a finite investment. Monica Lewinsky believed that her “relationship” with Bill Clinton had the potential to be lasting. There was substance in it, as far as she was concerned, that went beyond an affair.

I’d also suggest an affair can be a relationship, though it remains a finite involvement.

If Monica Lewinsky ever thought Bill Clinton would leave Hillary Clinton for her, she’s not the first woman in a triangle to convince herself of this fantasy. However, in actuality she was just another dumb broad who doesn’t understand the investment of two people in a committed partnership, especially one like the Clintons, which has its roots in something larger than themselves, just like the Kennedys had.

Monica Lewinsky wouldn’t be the first woman to make the mistake of overestimating her value to a married man, but she is one of the most naive to believe she would become the next Wallis Simpson.

From the Vanity Fair article by Monica Lewinsky.

Monica Lewinsky writes in Vanity Fair for the first time about her affair with President Clinton: “It’s time to burn the beret and bury the blue dress.” She also says: “I, myself, deeply regret what happened between me and President Clinton. Let me say it again: I. Myself. Deeply. Regret. What. Happened.”

After 10 years of virtual silence (“So silent, in fact,” she writes, “that the buzz in some circles has been that the Clintons must have paid me off; why else would I have refrained from speaking out? I can assure you that nothing could be further from the truth”), Lewinsky, 40, says it is time to stop “tiptoeing around my past—and other people’s futures. I am determined to have a different ending to my story. I’ve decided, finally, to stick my head above the parapet so that I can take back my narrative and give a purpose to my past. (What this will cost me, I will soon find out.)”

Clearing the Air

Maintaining that her affair with Clinton was one between two consenting adults, Lewinsky writes that it was the public humiliation she suffered in the wake of the scandal that permanently altered the direction of her life:

“Sure, my boss took advantage of me, but I will always remain firm on this point: it was a consensual relationship.

Any ‘abuse’ came in the aftermath, when I was made a scapegoat in order to protect his powerful position. . . . The Clinton administration, the special prosecutor’s minions, the political operatives on both sides of the aisle, and the media were able to brand me. And that brand stuck, in part because it was imbued with power.”

Monica Lewinsky also states her focus “is to get involved with efforts on behalf of victims of online humiliation and harassment and to start speaking on this topic in public forums.”

Oh, how I’d enjoy participating in a public forum with her. It would be quite a conversation, which should include how women become their own worst enemy when it comes to “online humiliation,” for which she is the poster girl.

Screen capture above from digital version of Vanity Fair article, first tweeted out by Huffington Post’s Sam Stein.

, , , , , ,

16 Responses to Monica Lewinsky Speaks Beyoncé, Says “It was a Consensual Relationship” Not An Affair

1. Ga6thDem May 6, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

The GOP has literally gone over the edge Taylor. I have NEVER seen them so desperate. Obvioulsy Monica wants to move on from all this as does the rest of the country. The only people still obsessed with this stuff is the far right.

I have to tell you though conservatives have become very scary. They know their time is limited as party as they are currently constructed and instead of taking their 2012 post mortem to heart, they are doubling down on their worst atributes. I”m guessing at this point they apparently think it’s their best option. Anytime I’m expecting them to spawm more and more Timothy McVeighs.

• PeggySue May 6, 2014 at 2:35 pm #

This business out in Nevada is begging for a showdown with militia types cruising the rural areas and stationing themselves on local highways. There are mega-duty complaints by residents over heavily armed individuals swaggering through their business sections, making a general nuisance of themselves. Very dangerous. I suspect local pols and law enforcement are hoping this whole thing burns itself out. If not, it could come to a very ugly conclusion. With the help of Fox News, of course, which has been completely irresponsible in the matter.

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 6, 2014 at 7:12 pm #

“Anytime I’m expecting them to spawm more and more Timothy McVeighs.”

Expecting? EXPECTING?!!!!! That swarm of mutated pollywogs wriggled up from the repugnantklan,teabagger,UBERChristian murky gene pool a good while ago. Lucky for us they generally are to stupid to pull anything off beyond the occasional murder of some poor slob wearing a badge who just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Ga6thDem May 6, 2014 at 9:50 pm #

Well, Sec I’m talking more about the mass murder types. The ones that blow up buildings and really don’t care about anybody but their anti-government agenda.

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 7, 2014 at 5:06 am #

They have tried…repeatedly. Luckily for us all they have simply been to bone crushingly stupid to pull it off.

• Mike Light May 7, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

Just a little refresher course: What “spawned” Timothy McVeigh? A mass killing, instigated by the BATF, and Finalized by the “UBERfriendly” Attorney General of the United States, Janet Reno. Technically not murder. She was just Enforcing the Law, and some 40 kids just happened to be in the way. Tanks and flammable CS gas were the only reasonable solution, of course. Acceptable losses.

Timothy McVeigh went to war and took out the enemy. Kids were in a day-care room in the building. He claimed he wasn’t aware of them. Janet Reno could not make the same excuse.

The Bundy/militia mess shortens the time between the Acceptable Enforcement shooting and the Retribution. Fortunately it looks like some cooler heads prevailed. Harry Reid isn’t one of them.

• Ga6thDem May 7, 2014 at 1:30 pm #

So Timothy McVeigh is not responsible for his own actions? He unfortunately bought into a lot of conspiracy theories much like the creepy milita people today do too. Conspiracy theories shopped by conservative media outlets I must say.

TImothy McVeigh KNEW there were kids in the day care center. He called them “collateral damage” in his quest to kill federal agents. I think you need to get out of the conspiracy sites and read up before defending the dispicable Mr. McVeigh.

That Bundy guy was lining up women in front of himself. His militia has cost the town he lives in or near hundreds of thousands of dollars. So he was willing to let innocent pepole be killed in his quest to get free money from the government. He’s another dispicable character but hey, defend them all you want.

• Mike Light May 7, 2014 at 2:01 pm #

Of course McVeigh was responsible for his own actions. And nothing I said is a “conspiracy”. The whole militia craze was “spawned” by excessive Law Enforcement, with Waco and Ruby Ridge being the two major rallying cries.

As for Bundy, I wonder how many of the women were voluntarily shielding him. Never can tell when one of the dozens of snipers around the place might decide to ‘take the shot’, all because he didn’t pay a grazing fee for his cattle.

2. dafederalist May 6, 2014 at 10:48 pm #

As for Monica Lewinsky….What really stews my chicken is her comparison to Tyler Clementi. That’s a low “BLOW” even for her. Monica, you had a choice…you chose to have “Sexual Relations” with that married man. It’s not like you didn’t know he was married or the President of the most power country on Earth at the time. That was a choice. And like most Choices there are consequences. It’s called a scarlet letter for a reason. Unfortunately for her, she will be forever linked to a stained blue dress. (Obviously, no one will kiss her on the lips or drink after her for fear of getting a cold sore.) What happened to Tyler was not a choice. He was ridiculed for who he was and that was not right. Monica’s flawed comparison is like her morals…..non existent. Now as for as this business with the crazy people with machine guns all over the place….it is really scary. I live in Nevada Thank GOD I’m in Las Vegas where they will not tolerate that bs) But it is a ticking time bomb before there is a shoot out somewhere or some idiot decides they want to kill a bunch of people. Some of those idiots are 1 brain cell away from being the next Timothy McVeigh and they don”t even know it. Too busy screamin about “Freedom” and “Consitutional Rights”.

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 7, 2014 at 5:07 am #

“Obviously, no one will kiss her on the lips or drink after her for fear of getting a cold sore.” I wouldn’t bet on that at all.

3. mjsmith May 7, 2014 at 9:06 am #

It is typical to trash the woman and excuse the man. This is how it is done.

“Hillary Clinton ‘blamed the woman’ for Bill Clinton’s affair ”

I think Hillary Clinton is a “narcissistic loony toon” and I also find it rather ridiculous that the same Hillary Clinton that went on 60 Minutes proclaiming that she is no “Tammy Wynette” when it comes to her husbands loose morals and unethical sexual behavior. Whatever you feel about cheating on your spouse, Bill Clinton had his relationships within the context of his job in public office,

Monica Lewinski was not married. Bill Clinton was not the intern. It is a well established “unwritten” rule that having sex with interns/pages is a scumbag thing to do.

• Ga6thDem May 7, 2014 at 10:17 am #

Love the amateur psychology from conservatives. Considering that the entire GOP has spent the last decade or more trashing women and calling them all sluts and whores nobody is going to listen to a sacntimonious lecture from any conservative whack job.

• mjsmith May 7, 2014 at 11:26 am #

Like when Ed Schultz called Laura Ingram a slut? The only people I see name calling are liberal democrats. the entire GOP trashing people and calling them all sluts? Sorry, wrong party. I will give you one more guess as to who does this sort of name calling. I already told you, it is the democrats, still.

• Ga6thDem May 7, 2014 at 1:32 pm #

There were consequences for Ed Schultz. What are the consequences for the people at Fox News and Rush Limblaugh? All i see is you guys making excuses for them.

I can write a whole list of names from the GOP starting with Rush and most recently Huckabee. You seem to literally have no clue as to what your own party is doing.

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 7, 2014 at 11:36 am #

“Love the amateur psychology from conservatives.”
        More like projecting. Gee, seems to me that slimy scumbag Gingrich was banging an intern WHILE he was married to wife #2 AND while he was screaming about Bill Clinton’s conduct. And wasn’t there an incredibly short lived Speaker of the House who had to resign for having someone on the side? And then there’s good ol Joe Scarborough and that dead intern in his office….OH YEAH and ol limpwithnoballs…let’s see….wife number 4….no children, no miscarriages, two of these beards…OOOPS…women never even lived under the same ROOF as Jabba the limp.
        The to stupid for words to describe, utterly ignorant and or clueless or so cynically disingenuous it takes one’s breath away sanctimonious UBERHypocrites of the conservative fever swamp would be funny if they weren’t so pathetic.

4. ladywalker68 May 7, 2014 at 11:44 am #

No one here is excusing Bill Clinton. He paid a price for screwing around. He was investigated and impeached and will forever have the stain of Monica on his Presidency. Bill however doesn’t have his body proactively plastered on the front of a magazine trying to get another 15 minutes of fame.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for Monic for consesully taking advantage of her access to the President and naively thinking she could break up his marriage? Boo freakin’ hoo.

This is just a pathetic ploy at making money off of being 50% responsible for damaging a Presidency and costing taxpayers a boatload of money for the investigation. It wouldn’t surprise me if there’s also a lot of vindictiveness in Monica’s intentions for not being able to wrangle Bill out of the marriage. What better way to get revenge than crawling out from the sewer eating out of this can of worms at this point in time?