Social Media Reports Kiev on Fire, Death Toll Climbing [Live Footage]

Death toll climbing in Kiev.

Death toll climbing in Kiev.

Top floors of Trade Unions bldg engulfed in flames. Reports of people trapped inside. Some climbing down to safety. – Christopher Miller on Twitter

THE FIGHTING has been escalating all day in Kiev, the Ukrainian capital. Hundreds of thousands following the clashes online.

From the New York Times:

Last Updated, 6:50 p.m. | As the deadly clashes in the Ukrainian capital, Kiev, continued late Tuesday, hundreds of thousands of people followed the violence as it unfolded, watching a live YouTube video stream from the besieged protest camp provided by the local website Espreso.tv, and reading Twitter updates from reporters and activists in Independence Square.

Andrea Mitchell reported that “@VP Biden called Ukraine president urged pulling back govt forces and maximum restraint as kiev burns more,” via Twitter, which is how the news is breaking, everything reported in real time on social media.

, , ,

6 Responses to Social Media Reports Kiev on Fire, Death Toll Climbing [Live Footage]

1. Joyce Arnold February 18, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

Very frightening stuff. Regarding the coverage, another indication of the power of social media.

• fangio February 18, 2014 at 10:57 pm #

Why did you stop blogging Joyce.

• Joyce Arnold February 19, 2014 at 8:50 am #

Hey fangio, a combination of what I just call “life stuff” has complicated things. But I do plan on coming back, asap, thanks to Taylor’s keeping the welcome mat out :)

• Taylor Marsh February 19, 2014 at 10:48 am #

You ALWAYS have a place here, Joyce.

So glad to see you in the comments!

• Joyce Arnold February 19, 2014 at 11:40 am #

I appreciate it, Taylor. And I very much look forward to the time when I can start writing again :)

2. Jane Austen February 19, 2014 at 2:45 pm #

I am watching this very intently. I wonder when Russia will come in and forcefully stop this. I hate when this kind of stuff happens. Too many people are threatened.