Martin Bashir Said What About Sarah Palin?

Martin Bashir said what about Sarah Palin?

Martin Bashir said what about Sarah Palin?

“Every time something horrific is said like that, I go in and I talk to [MSNBC President] Phil Griffin, who I’m good friends with.”Joe Scarborough (interview with NewsMax)

THE LATEST MSNBC male host to disgrace himself, the network and the brand that is NBC, is Martin Bashir. There really aren’t words to express how vile, ignorant and appallingly despicable his comments were about Sarah Palin. I’m late to this, because I have been very busy with a project lately. It’s a new low for MSNBC.

Hosts don’t just say things like what Martin Bashir said on the air without approval from a producer. MSNBC obviously has a producer problem, an issue of professionalism and ethics that goes well beyond its hosts.

After Sarah Palin made absurd comments equating slavery to the U.S. debt, Martin Bashir said this (video at the link):

“What is most shocking about Thistlewood’s diary is not simply the fact that he assumes the right to own and possess other human beings, but is the sheer cruelty and brutality of his regime,” Bashir added. “In 1756, he records that a slave named Darby ‘catched eating kanes had him well flogged and pickled, then made Hector, another slave, s-h-i-t in his mouth.’”

“This became known as ‘Darby’s Dose,’ a punishment invented by Thistlewood that spoke only of inhumanity. And he mentions a similar incident in 1756, his time in relation to a man he refers to as Punch. ‘Flogged punch well, and then washed and rubbed salt pickle, lime juice and bird pepper, made Negro Joe piss in his eyes and mouth,’” Bashir recited.

“I could go on, but you get the point,” Bashir said, concluding “When Mrs. Palin invokes slavery, she doesn’t just prove her rank ignorance. She confirms if anyone truly qualified for a dose of discipline from Thomas Thistlewood, she would be the outstanding candidate.”

Martin Bashir commits the classic mistake of being so offensive that the original comparison by Sarah Palin has been forgotten, letting her off the hook, while Bashir takes Palin’s place. He has since apologized, though you really have to wonder what’s going on at MSNBC that something like what Bashir said could be approved by anyone producing the show.

“My words were wholly unacceptable. They were neither accurate nor fair. They were unworthy of anyone who would claim to have an interest in politics, and they have brought shame upon my friends and colleagues at this network.” – Martin Bashir

DISCLOSURE: NewsMax is an advertiser of TM.com

, , , ,

9 Responses to Martin Bashir Said What About Sarah Palin?

1. Jane Austen November 21, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

While I don’t care for Sarah Palin’s politics had I been Martin Bashir, I would have been more intelligent in criticizing Mrs. Palin. Why do these pundits think it’s ok to talk trash like this about women?

2. mjsmith November 21, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

Martin Bashir did a smear on Michael Jackson. He completely stabbed Michael Jackson in the back. I am not saying Michael Jackson is innocent. I do feel that if you are going to smear someone, you should have evidence to back it up. It seemed clear to many that Martin Bashir was just interested in cheap self-publicity by exploiting the allegations made against Michael Jackson.

Bashir wiki-

“In response, Jackson and his personal cameraman released a rebuttal interview, which showed Bashir complimenting Jackson for the “spiritual” quality of the Neverland Ranch. Bashir also described Jackson as a wonderful father and said that Jackson’s relationship with his children “almost makes me weep”.[7]

Dieter Wiesner, the pop star’s manager from 1996 to 2003, said of Bashir’s documentary:

“It broke him. It killed him. He took a long time to die, but it started that night. Previously the drugs were a crutch, but after that they became a necessity.”[8]

Bashir later said of Jackson during ABC’s coverage of his death,

“When I made the documentary, there was a small part that contained a controversy concerning his relationship with young people. But the truth is that he was never convicted of any crime, and I never saw any wrongdoing myself.”[

• Taylor Marsh November 21, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

Okay. Full. Stop.

Michael Jackson “broke” … “killed” himself.

Martin Bashir blew it on Palin, but, even as an admirer of the talent that is MJ, he should never have spoken with Bashir, who has one beat and one beat only: digging up dirt. It’s called gossip and has been a legit form of media, albeit yellow, since Hedda Hopper.

3. Ramsgate November 21, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

Give me a break.
    Ok, so what he said was offensive. And he apologized. Isn’t that what they all do nowadays? Everybody except Sarah Palin. She said WHAT about Barak Obama? She says the most insulting and offensive things and SHE and her throng feels she has every right to shuck u jive.
    Not condoning what Bashir said and did but this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Total hypocrisy.

• Taylor Marsh November 21, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

Hey, Sarah Palin has paid for her mouth, and is an independent agent, not a representative of any districts, Senate or House, because of it. All she has to do is please the cranks.

Martin Bashir has a media contract & that comes with restrictions. He let her win, which is unforgivably stupid.

Anyone who allows Sarah Palin to get the best of him/her deserves derision.

4. Lake Lady November 21, 2013 at 5:40 pm #

I agree about producer problems. They all have become so shrill. I can’t help but think they are pushed, at least Chris Hayes. I really enjoyed his weekend show which was smart conversations with smart people but he now gives shrill lectures to the same stable of guests that make the MSNBC rounds on a daily bais.

5. secularhumanizinevoluter November 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

While I can see your point Ms. Marsh it was kinda refreshing to see someone actually call out with historical facts the absurd false equivalency and idiocy of wingnuts like palin and all the rest of the repugnantklan,teabaggers who so casually toss of comparing Dems and Obama’s policies with slavery.

6. Ga6thDem November 21, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

First of all why does anyone ever care anymore what Sarah Palin says? And secondly I wish Fox would do the same thing to their hosts that MSNBC does.

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 24, 2013 at 8:12 am #

Never happen…if they did within a week they would be dead air time.