But CBS had all along acknowledged that Mr. Davies had also been interviewed by the F.B.I. The network had suggested that the agency’s interview would corroborate Mr. Davies’s account on “60 Minutes.” Instead, the disclosure that the F.B.I. interview matched the incident report leaves CBS facing more questions about the primary source for its investigation. [New York Times]
THIS IS as serious as it gets for a news organization, especially when it’s about a tragic event like Benghazi that has caused such polarizing political furor. Benghazi is also the seminal event that Republicans intend to use against Hillary Clinton once the conversation turns to 2016, which has already begun. “60 Minutes” will issue a correction this Sunday, which was announced through Twitter by Lara Logan to Brian Stelter of the New York Times.
“The truth is that we made a mistake.” “We were wrong to put him on air.” “We apologize to our viewers.” – Lara Logan
When questions started rising, CBS president Jeff Fager boldly stood by the “60 Minutes” interview by Lara Logan, who also said that her subject had been straight with her.
The FBI had also done an investigation that “60 Minutes” had not seen, which we now learn supports the original account Dylan Davies gave to Blue Mountain at the time of the Benghazi terrorist attack. Why “60 Minutes” accepted a disavowal of Davies of his own incident report, which came during the aftermath of Benghazi, is an important question to ask, especially since his newer version was presented in a book he’s trying to sell. The account Davies gave in his book, which he regurgitated on the program, is now proven to be what he manufactured months later for dramatic purpose in his book.
Whether his fictional rendition in his book is what he actually believes happened and he’s fooling himself, or he willfully misled readers and “60 Minutes,” the bottom line is that we have yet another account of the Benghazi terrorist attack that reveals the purpose of all the Benghazi furor, which isn’t to get to the truth, but instead throw aspersions on the State Department on the way to defaming former Secretary Hillary Clinton.
It should be noted that policemen in stressful shootouts often recall wrongly what happens, even how many times they shot their weapon.
The problem with Dylan Davies is that he was at the beach at the time of the Benghazi attack, according to reporting that has not been refuted, making his story even more reprehensible.
“60 Minutes” was sucked in to a plot line that comported with what the gullible drank down from the start. As someone who as debunked every single Benghazi fictional factoid, though I cannot make the ignorant change their minds about Secretary Clinton over Benghazi, which can’t be done if people don’t want to accept the truth. This latest spectacle, with “60 Minutes” regurgitating such nonsense without a thorough vetting, is likely the product of sensationalism over journalism for the sake of ratings and advertising dollar.
The incident report described Mr. Davies as remaining at the villa he occupied in Libya and not getting to the scene on the night of the attack. In the version he wrote in his book and gave to “60 Minutes,” Mr. Davies said he left the villa that night to visit a hospital where he said he saw the body of the deceased ambassador, J. Christopher Stevens, and twice rushed to the scene of the attack.
At the compound, he said, he had a confrontation with an attacker, whom he dispatched with a blow to the face with a rifle butt.
Jennifer Robinson, a spokeswoman for the book’s publisher, Threshold Editions, which is part of the Simon and Schuster unit of CBS, said, “Although we have not seen the F.B.I. report, in light of these revelations we will review the book and take appropriate action with regard to its publication status.”
Jeff Fager, the chairman of CBS News and executive producer of “60 Minutes,” said Thursday, “We’re surprised to hear about this, and if it shows we’ve been misled, we will make a correction.”
Of course, none of this will stop Fox News channel from their continuing abysmal coverage on Benghazi, specifically where Hillary Clinton and the State Department are concerned.
As I’ve written from the beginning, it was the CIA who partnered with State on security, but to this day former Director David Petraeus has yet to explain thoroughly what happened the night of the Benghazi terrorist attack.