Queer Talk: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Preside at Same-Sex Wedding

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will be the first Supreme Court member to officiate at the marriage of same-sex couple.

In what is apparently a first by a Supreme Court member, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will preside at the wedding of a gay couple, Kennedy Center President Michael Kaiser and government economist John Roberts (no relation to Chief Justice Roberts).

Ginsburg said in written statement, via The Washington Post:

‘Michael Kaiser is a friend and someone I much admire. … That is why I am officiating at his wedding.’

She told the Post:

‘I think it will be one more statement that people who love each other and want to live together should be able to enjoy the blessings and the strife in the marriage relationship.’ …

‘It won’t be long before there will be another. …’

Ginsburg was referring to the September 22 wedding of David Hagedorn and Michael Widomski. Hagedorn

… read Ginsburg’s (earlier) comments about not having been asked (to officiate at marriages of same-gender couples) this spring and sent her a letter asking her to officiate at his Sept. 22 wedding to Michael Widomski, director of communications and executive affairs for the National Weather Service.

Marriage of same-sex couples is legal in 13 states, with ongoing challenges and efforts toward marriage equality in multiple other states. In the last few days, actions in New Mexico and Hawaii have made news. Marriage equality, in part or in all. of 17 other nations.

At Think Progress, this reminder of recent history:

In June, Ginsburg joined a 5 to 4 ruling striking down a section of the Defense of Marriage Act — which prohibited the federal government from recognizing same-sex unions — and said during oral arguments for the case that the law relegated gays and lesbians to ‘sort of skim milk marriage.’

The majority of states still exist in the “skim milk marriage” world, but it seems the question is when, not if, marriage equality is a federal right.

(Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Via SPLC)

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to Queer Talk: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to Preside at Same-Sex Wedding

1. secularhumanizinevoluter August 31, 2013 at 11:35 am #

I do so love this American…someone who actually understands that rights are for ALL people equally and not only to those who go along with any particular superstition based world view.

• Joyce Arnold August 31, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

I dread the day she decides to retire, though I’ll also be happy for her :)

2. fangio August 31, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

At the ceremony, when Ginsberg asks if anyone objects, I fully expect Scalia to raise his hand. He then stands up, trembling and shaking with ugly blue veins bulging from his neck, his eyes wrenching from their sockets as his body explodes into a hideous disassembled Osso Buco.

• Joyce Arnold August 31, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

I actually started to include possible responses from Scalia, and maybe Thomas. Glad you stepped in to fill the void :)

3. secularhumanizinevoluter August 31, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

Joyce….same deal with Scali and Thomas as Robertson…the minute we hear of their being called home…stop what ever we are doing and go hoist a drink…I haven’t had a drink…except when Nixon and reagan died in 32 years…but some things need celebrating!

• Chuckg August 31, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

why are you always so angry and ugly? Why so much hate?

4. fairmindedindependent August 31, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

Awesome !!

• secularhumanizinevoluter September 1, 2013 at 10:07 am #

I will take that as a NO on the invitation to the party then?

5. secularhumanizinevoluter September 1, 2013 at 10:05 am #

“why are you always so angry and ugly? Why so much hate?”

Why is egarly looking forward to the removal of destructive forces in society being angry?
    I look at it as universal justice finally prevailing when societal justice has come up short.
    These individuals have championed bigotry, hate and policies that harm or have caused the deaths of many, many, many people as well as trying to strip people of their constitutionally guarenteed rights….as well as force all of society to live by their ridiculouse superstiution based
    world view.
    As for “ugly” I would have to think considering my romantic history and present domestic situation there are at least a few who would disagree.

Did I clear that up for you? Are you going to join the party when they get called home?

• Chuckg September 1, 2013 at 10:53 am #

well first of all, I was talking about everything you post, not this in particular. NOBODY is allowed to post anything that disagrees with you or you bully them to the ground, call them names, and pretty much tell them how stupid they are. Which is why you see less and less people posting a comment. You sound like a democratic Archie Bunker….

Unlike you…I don’t party when a past president dies, whether I agree with their beliefs or not.

Ugly people do..

• mjsmith September 1, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Well said.

I do not care to always have to over explain things to secular either. He does act tough. When it comes to substance, he is usually lacking. Riduculing secular and pointing out his repeated ignorance when he tries to bully is just too easy. I do not come on here to make secular look like a complete and total idiot when he acts the way he does. I will never back down from a bully, even if it is one who is doing the bullying online.

• secularhumanizinevoluter September 1, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

Sweet…if anyone points out the absurdity and illogical nonsense some post as comments it is bullying.
          Awwwww..to fracking bad.
          Politics is a full contact sport…don’t bring no weak shit. Frankly…the tinsel strength of the fecal matter ya’ll serve up is about as strong as wet tissue paper.
          And yes…I party when people who have caused untold greif and missery let alone attempted to deny citizens their constitutional rights or jam their superstition based nonsense down societies throat go home to be with Jeebus…I party hearty and wonder why the fact that GAWD didn’t call them home sooner and save us all the suffering hasn’t convinced others to stop listening to these conmen/women professonal beggers and authortarian hacks.

• secularhumanizinevoluter September 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

“NOBODY is allowed to post anything that disagrees with you or you bully them to the ground, call them names, and pretty much tell them how stupid they are.”
        Hope I didn’t get yer pants dirty when I bullied ya to the ground.

• Chuckg September 1, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

Don’t worry about it Archie…I’ll just pick myself up, brush it off and be the bigger man..

• secularhumanizinevoluter September 2, 2013 at 6:43 am #

Awwwww…idn that cute…you and msj parroting each others self percieved cleverness….dirty pants from being bullied to the ground by the mean guy trailing dust in the wind as you whipe santorum from your lower lips and trudge hand in hand off into the counter reality universe congratulating each other on how you really showed him.

6. newdealdem1 September 2, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Purely selfish comment: I hope this woman stays on the Court for the next decade at the least. Please universe, please continue to give Justice Ginsberg the mental and physical stamina to serve on this court for the next decade at the least.

I don’t think I’ve ever held a Supreme Court Justice in higher esteem than Ruth Bader Ginsberg. She’s one of a great kind, the kind of human person who’s mold is rare if not extinct now.

I have some pretty neat people in my family, however, what I wouldn’t give to have her as a member of my family. I can’t think of anything better than spending time with her and her late beloved husband, Martin (who by all accounts was a great person and husband and intellectual sparing partner) at one of their infamous dinner parties where Martin was the chef. I’m jealous just thinking of the dinner conversations at that table where the food and drink were gourmet (without the pretension) and where the conversations were equally uplifting, fulsome, challenging, sublime and fun at the same time.

I’ve listened to Justice Ginsberg’s interviews online (cspan has lots of these in their video library) and she’s not only intellectually stimulating to listen to but her sense of humor is considerable as we saw in her “skimmed milk” comment about same sex marriage rights. That for me is irresistible: the marriage between intellect and humor: full bodied, Vitamin D, whole milk. ;)

The couple whom she married were lucky ducks indeed. What an honor from her Honor.

• secularhumanizinevoluter September 3, 2013 at 5:44 am #

“Purely selfish comment: I hope this woman stays on the Court for the next decade at the least. ”

If at all possible I would be all for removing her brain and keeping her in a nice warm nutrient bath(with her consent of course) so her wisdom and just plain ability to understand what the damned constitution actually MEANS could benifit us for ever. It is so refreshing to see someone who loves and understands what this country is supposed to be about on the court.

• newdealdem1 September 3, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

Oh, Sec, you and me both. And, I have the no doubt (don’t mean to be arrogant about this but unless you are one of those Scalia/Alito/Thomas “Ralph Kramden’s with advanced degrees) we are in good company regarding those who feel as you and I feel about her Honor.

Quote:”It is so refreshing to see someone who loves and understands what this country is supposed to be about on the court.” UnQuote

Very worth repeating this sentence. Spot on!

7. newdealdem1 September 2, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Correction:

The couple she married are men so the correction is that they are “lucky drakes” not “lucky ducks”. ;) :)

• secularhumanizinevoluter September 3, 2013 at 5:46 am #

I would go with ducks…as in they are humans…not gay, not straight…just people with equal rights to be happy.

• newdealdem1 September 3, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

Point to Sec. :) ;)

8. newdealdem1 September 3, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

Oh, and just this addendum. Justice Ginsberg is scheduled to officiate at a second same sex marriage later this month. No outlier here. ;) http://tinyurl.com/l6o8gpk

9. Joyce Arnold September 3, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

Sec and New Deal … I enjoyed your conversation :)