Wendy Davis, Unapologetic About Women’s Self-Determination

Senator Wendy Davis

Senator Wendy Davis

“Rick Perry’s statement is without dignity and tarnishes the high office he holds. They are small words that reflect a dark and negative point of view. Our governor should reflect our Texas values. Sadly, Gov. Perry fails that test.” – Senator Wendy Davis

THERE ARE quite a few politicians in the United States Senate who could learn from the leadership of Texas State Senator Wendy Davis. There are dozens of politicians in the House who belong in the category of Gov. Rick Perry, whose comments Joyce wrote about yesterday. Men, as well as females, unfortunately, who lecture women on something that is a private and personal decision that is none of their business.

Senator Wendy Davis had this in response to Perry [h/t DailyKos]:

“Misplaced priorities of legislative leaders squandered a tremendous opportunity to make much needed improvements in our transportation infrastructure and help create good jobs and bring businesses to Texas. Despite urging by responsible members of the Senate to bring up the matter of transportation, Lt. Governor David Dewhurst derailed as much as much as $1 billion per year in transportation funding by stubbornly pushing divisive, failed legislation attacking women’s health care options.

If leaders are serious about using this second called special session to improve the lives of Texans by repairing and expanding our transportation networks, they will find no greater ally than me. If they intend to keep pushing their extreme personal political agenda ahead of the interests of Texas families, I will not back off of my duty to fight on their behalf.”

Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Action Fund and the daughter of the late and very formidable Ann Richards, who served as Texas governor, gave a statement to HuffPost.

“Rick Perry’s remarks are incredibly condescending and insulting to women,” Richards said. “This is exactly why the vast majority of Texans believe that politicians shouldn’t be involved in a woman’s personal health care decisions. Women are perfectly capable of deciding whether to choose adoption, end a pregnancy, or raise a child, and they don’t need Rick Perry’s help making that decision. What the world saw in Texas this week was democracy in action. The people had a voice this week, and we’ll make sure they have a voice in the weeks ahead.”

There’s a petition started to get Senator Wendy Davis to run for governor in 2014. Win, lose or draw it would be a great thing for Democrats in Texas to see this tour de force politician in action across the Lone Star State. She would electrify women and young girls, showing what they can do, too.

The most important thing of all is seeing another Democrat stand up and unapologetically say that women’s self-determination is constitutionally protected and a right she’ll fight to help women keep.

In Virginia, Ralph Northam, who is running for lieutenant governor, and Mark Herring, who is running for attorney general, both ran unapologetically in support for a woman’s constitutionally protected right to self-determination. They both defeated Democrats in the primary, one of which was an upset, beating an Obama affiliated candidate, by advertising boldly in support of women’s fundamental freedoms. I proudly voted for both men in a primary with sparse participation.

Politicians will find that if they stand up for women, we’ll stand up for them.

wendydavis_viaDailyKos

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to Wendy Davis, Unapologetic About Women’s Self-Determination

1. Ga6thDem June 28, 2013 at 8:17 am #

It’s all about Rick Perry running for President in 2016 in my opinion. The GOP resides in such a bubble that they think women are just going to take it. I think women have had enough of this kind of garbage Perry is doling out. The GOP rarely ventures out of their self imposed bubble.

• Taylor Marsh June 28, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Texas really stood up, the activists, and Wendy Davis showed what leadership looks like.

People are so used to Harry Reid & the lame politicians in the US Senate, Obama selling women out to Stupak, which is where these state actions were born, that many forgot what standing up for women’s FULL constitutional freedoms looks like.

In Virginia, it made the difference for the 2 candidates I mentioned above, in a primary where few bothered to vote.

• ladywalker68 June 28, 2013 at 9:25 am #

“If politicians quit acting apologetic for standing up for women’s self-determination they might be surprised (as the upset in Virginia proved – an Obama man was beaten) what women will be willing to do for them.”

Absolutely spot on, Taylor. The only reason I voted for Democrats in 2012 instead of 3rd party is that I was totally fed up with the Republican blathering about rape and taking away a woman’s right to make a decision about terminating a pregnancy.

And if the Republicans keep it up, I will do the same in 2014 and again in 2016. This has got to stop. I stand behind Wendy, one of the true few heros in politics these days.

• Ga6thDem June 28, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Well, I’ve been so over the “post partisan unity” crap ever since it was first introduced by Obama. It seems like maybe others are catching up.

2. LiberalJoe June 28, 2013 at 9:33 am #

I have come to the realization that for the Democratic Party to thrive and grow again, especially in DC one of the things it it needs to become isless male and more female. More Elizabeth Warren less Carl Levin, (less Daine Feinstein also).

Many of the rising stars of the Dem Party are women and more progressive than not. Gillibrand, Warren, Baldwin Throw in some the men such as Merkley, Markey and though the DLC types may not like it , but the future is happening in front of their eyes. Reid, Schumer. Durbin, Hoyer Pelosi too are slowly becoming Dinosaurs.

Wendy Davis is indicative of the type of leadership the Dem party in DC lacks. Her filibuster should be an abject lesson on why the talking filibuster should be brought back in the Senate. Harry Reid and Levin should be ashamed of themselves.

As the father to a daughter I am ever more hopefull of women’s continued ascension in our society.

• Taylor Marsh June 28, 2013 at 10:22 am #

Seconded, with an exclamation point!

• T-Steel June 28, 2013 at 11:03 am #

I think what those rising women in the Dem Party also do is take the word “progressive” and make people UNDERSTAND what that means. And that is key. Also I think these women are hard-liners in their beliefs YET their smart enough to make SMART compromises. Emphasis on the word “smart”. Nothing to compromise in this Texas issue. and State Senator Wendy Davis was straight “gangsta” about it. My little anarchist heart was cheering (even though I’m a 3rd party dude).

My daughter, who’s going to be a high school sophomore this year just recently participated in the United States Naval Academy Summer STEM (Science-Technology-Engineering-Mathematics) Camp. Many applied, few were selected. While at the USNA, I talked to many midshipmen both male and females between the ages of 19 and 21. Absolutely beyond impressive all of them. Firm handshakes. Look you in the eye when they spoke. Talked in complete sentences. Just bad a–! But I was really struck at how the female midshipmen carried themselves. Physically fit, smart as a whip, and just strong. The way State Senator Wendy Davis handled this reminded me of those female midshipmen. Can’t lie, made this big dude a bit misty eyed.

I’m about leadership. One of the reasons I’ve been a 3rd party mini-anarchist for a long time. So when I see it, it hits me hard and really makes me respect the person.

• Cujo359 June 29, 2013 at 12:37 am #

Having more women couldn’t hurt, that’s for sure. What I want to see is more progressives – real progressives, I mean, not DLCers or Third Wayists or whatever they’ve renamed themselves into now. That probably will mean more women.

And yes, as I’ve written both at my place and here, Wendy Davis is the sort of person Democrats ought to be looking for.

3. fangio June 28, 2013 at 9:58 am #

Is this what voters elect politicians to do? Tell them how to live their lives, tell them what they can and cannot do with their own bodies, deny women health care, deny children food. This is what it has come to; politicians who were elected to insure the future by growing civil society have instead taken to creating some sort of secular / religious theocracy where old men, and some women shout false moralisms in your ear. Are republican, and some democratic politicians now nothing but values police. We now have legislatures all over the country and in D.C. that do virtually nothing but howl about how we live our lives. They create laws to hurt us, punish us, take our rights away. When all else fails they simply ignore us. Texas is an extreme example. Think about it; in the United States, a group of elected reps lock themselves up in a tiny room at 4:00 in the morning to thwart the will of the people who elected them. If their is a future for this society, Wendy Davis is it; Reid and Levin are just yesterday’s garbage.

• Taylor Marsh June 28, 2013 at 10:22 am #

Man, fangio, you are really on a role lately…

4. Joyce Arnold June 28, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

One thing Davis has done in Texas is help make more people believe the “turn Texas blue” isn’t fantasy. No one is claiming such a “turn” will occur quickly or easily, or without tremendous opposition, now made even easier by the SCOTUS voting rights ruling.

Democrats in the state legislature have long been described by good numbers of us (Democratic and independent, on the liberal side of things) as “Republican lite.” Davis is among those — and we saw others working in both House and Senate — who are showing that label can be removed, step by step.

Equally as important is the fact that so many Texans made it abundantly clear they disagree, strongly, with Perry and company. I’ve heard and read some real shock, from the Right, about this. Maintaining that kind of engagement is a big challenge, but whatever else, the last few days have awakened an awareness that people really do have power. And that it can grow, with ongoing exercise.

5. Art Pronin June 28, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

As a Texan Ive known Wendy for sometime. Hope she runs we need this

• Joyce Arnold June 28, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

This other Texan hopes she does, too.

6. pritesh June 28, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

People like Perry and others on the anti-choice side have this belief that pro-choice = pro-abortion. I am pro-choice, but I think we should do everything to lower the number of abortions that take place (family planning and contraceptives).

7. lynnette June 29, 2013 at 6:54 am #

Wendy Davis is refreshing and exciting. She should definitely run for governor of Texas. I would change the labeling and refer to the “pro life” contingent as the “anti choice” contingent. I think language is important in getting the message across.

8. Ska14 June 29, 2013 at 8:22 am #

If liberal Democrats cared about personal self determination then they wouldn’t support forcing tax payers to finance the operations of Planned Parenthood. Both the left and right do this–they claim the liberty perspective on one issue and then the “non-liberty” position on another. For example, the right is pro-freedom on guns, but anti-freedom on drugs. The left is pro-freedom on abortion, but is anti-freedom on school choice. The left is pro-freedom on gay rights but is anti-freedom on birth control (e.g. forcing Hobby Lobby to violate its conscience by providing birth control to employees). And you can do this on issue after issue after issue.

I’m pro-choice on abortion. I would urge people of my persuasion who are pro-choice to be truly pro-choice on the issue. If you want an abortion then pay for it with your own money. You support Planned Parenthood’s work? Send them donations. But pro-life tax payers should be free to not support something that they consider murder. If we’re really pro-”choice” on abortion then we should seek to accommodate the choice of everyone.

• Taylor Marsh June 29, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

This argument is so stale I swear I can almost smell it through the screen.

I was against the Iraq war, am against the invasive secrecy & invasion of privacy dragnet being perpetrated in the Bush-Obama era, and against the entire “war on terror” fearmongering establishment, not to mention the “war on drugs.”

No asked me whether our tax dollars should be withheld from these asinine endeavors.

• Ga6thDem June 29, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

Please tell me why people who are against abortion deserve special treatment with regards to budgetary issues that no one else in the country gets? Apparently you think it is okay for the them to get special treatment but no one else.

9. secularhumanizinevoluter June 29, 2013 at 10:29 am #

“Politicians will find that if they stand up for women, we’ll stand up for them.”

One can only hope.

“But pro-life tax payers should be free to not support something that they consider murder. If we’re really pro-”choice” on abortion then we should seek to accommodate the choice of everyone.”

One does not have the right to only pay taxes for what one likes. Were that the case then I would be able to not pay the vast majority of my taxes since they go towards the wars and wasteful war spending/ You try to set up false analogies.

“The left is pro-freedom on gay rights but is anti-freedom on birth control (e.g. forcing Hobby Lobby to violate its conscience by providing birth control to employees).”

Because of the number of people they employ they will be required to offer health insurance…which will include reproductive services. By your reasoning(?!) a fundamentalist christian empoyer should have the right to only offer faith healer services to the people they employ and require people only use the rythm method.

This is absurd unless you are going to push for a check list for tax payers…check the things you want your taxes spent on?

• Ska14 June 29, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Yes, I would offer a checklist–it’s called the democratic process. You can’t claim in one breath to support “women’s self-determination” as you do in this article and then in the next breath say that the legislative body should force tax payers–men and women–to pay for services they consider immoral. You’re either pro-liberty or you’re not pro-liberty. There’s nothing in between.

As far as paying for wars you don’t support, that’s why we have the democratic process. We have legislators and executives that we elect to make laws. If you don’t support war, then vote for war doves. In the same way, if you support people’s self determination then you can’t turn around and say that tax payers should be forced to foot the bill for someone else’s sexual decisions (in this case, abortion). Either you are pro-self determination or you aren’t. What is it?

• Ga6thDem June 29, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Why is he supposed to vote for representatives that spend money the way he wants them to but the nuts on the right don’t have to do the same? You are advocating unequal treatment for everybody.

• secularhumanizinevoluter June 29, 2013 at 10:43 pm #

“Yes, I would offer a checklist–it’s called the democratic process.”

Well…news flash…OBAMA WON…TWICE. But then you appear to feel the democratic process only applies when you agree with the results huh?

• Ska14 June 29, 2013 at 11:40 am #

Yes, I’ll also add that by my reasoning a private business should be able to offer or not offer any service that it likes. That’s called SELF DETERMINATION. If an employee doesn’t like it then that employee is free to seek employment somewhere else that isn’t owned by a “Christian fundamentalist.” We have this crazy thing in this country called the 1st Amendment that bars CONGRESS from denying persons their right to freedom of religion. Therefore, forcing a private person to pay for something that violates their religious beliefs–contraception–is a violation of the law. It doesn’t matter if I agree with the policy or not. I support contraception–it’s one of the greatest inventions ever. But I don’t have the right to enforce my beliefs on the conscience of someone else. If I want contraception I’ll pay for it myself. If you want someone else to have contraception then donate it to them.

• secularhumanizinevoluter June 29, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

So you are all for social and economic Darwinism and the hell with any Govment messin with the 1%ers huh. Saftey standards? GOVERNMENT MEDDLING!!!!! OSHA? GOVERNMENT MEDDLING!!! From your posts you would probably feel more at home in Somalia…they have the level of government protections and services you want. Everyone for themselves and screw the weak, injured and all the rest so long as you get yours!

10. Chuckg July 6, 2013 at 9:40 am #

I am very pro Wendy Davis…but when she put the words politician and dignity in the same sentence….kind of makes me smile. Makes me think of Anthony W. who will probably be the next mayor of NY. Who are we kidding, it’s so out of control, it can’t be fixed. We no longer talk about the budget, the economy or unemployment, because it can’t be fixed. All we talk about is the next man or woman who says something wrong. We’ve become shallow…and it seems the fight is out of us. That my friends, you can blame on government & politicians. And dare I say…both the left and right.