Strong 2016 Message Subtly Sent at CGI

“When women participate in politics, the effects ripple out across society.” – Hillary Rodham Clinton, speaking at CGI

Hillary Clinton at CGI.

Hillary Clinton at CGI.

HILLARY CLINTON spoke at the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) as “a private citizen,” offering that she’s “still jetlagged” from her secretary of state globetrotting.

“After visiting 112 nations, for four years — I’m still jetlagged.” – Hillary Rodham Clinton

The big announcement is that CGI is now officially the Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation.

“As I move into my dottage, my job will be to fund people who really know what they’re doing, which I am very happy to do,” Bill Clinton said as he introduced his wife. [NBC News]

There was just part of the clear telegraphed message coming out of the Chicago conference, the rest of which was delivered by Mo Elleithee.

“We are at a phase now where he is a supporting cast member. And I think her voice is the one people want to hear no matter what the stage,” Mo Elleithee, Mrs. Clinton’s traveling spokesman in 2008, said of the former president.

There is a subtly strong message being sent here that for people looking at 2016 signs, at the very least, props the door wide open by informing supporters, including the moneyed establishment inside the Democratic Party, that a second run for the president in 2016 won’t be like 2008. Former President Bill Clinton will be “a supporting cast member” and Hillary will be center stage without him. “Dottage” means stepping back, at least as much as William Jefferson Clinton can ever step back.

The coverage of Mrs. Clinton at CGI sent the right into full panic.

One of Hillary Clinton’s strongest beliefs is that government can’t do everything by themselves, which she utilized at the State Department by creating private – public partnerships. Mrs. Clinton didn’t mince words when she used China as an example of a country footing the bill for early childhood education, while America does not. It was molded into a new platform she will have at CGI, along with continuing her work for women and girls, a program called Too Small to Fail, focusing on young children, which is another life long commitment she’s had since she was the first lady of Arkansas.

CGI is leading this philosophy, with Chelsea Clinton acknowledging through the Foundation the six-billionth “leader of clean water” involvement with Myanmar and a partnership with Proctor and Gamble. It’s still a foreign language to many, but it’s central to CGI’s effectiveness and mission. Bringing private corporations into the mix to help find creative ways governments can help the people outside of public funds.

On “Morning Joe” today, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel talked about how CGI is helping mayors fill in financial holes through private partnerships so cities can institute badly needed infrastructure projects that inspire small economic booms.

Former President Bill Clinton was one of the first to initiate the privatization of progress, which often comes under deep criticism. It was President Clinton who helped privatize parts of military action in the 1990s, which remains today a controversial philosophy among many progressives.

Hillary Clinton’s move beyond being President Obama’s chief diplomat is a slow walk, a build up fitting a Hollywood trailer. But her presence at CGI and what was said by her husband, as well as a top, long time aide of the Clintons, is all part of the foreshadowing of the future that many hope is inevitable.

The subtly sent message at CGI, which was not close to a confirmation Hillary’s running again, did, however, acknowledge that if she does run things will be different, which after covering the Clintons closely for two decades, as well as writing the history of the 2008 election cycle, I have no doubt will be.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Strong 2016 Message Subtly Sent at CGI

1. Pilgrim June 14, 2013 at 10:47 am #

She looks wonderful.

• Taylor Marsh June 14, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

The self-proclaimed “hair icon” [see @HillaryClinton] decided to go a bit shorter! ;-)

2. PeggySue June 14, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Hillary is getting in shape and sending out subtle hints, while Chris Christie has had gastro surgery and is slo-jamming the news.

This is going to be a hell of an election in 2016! [I know, I know--'if' Hillary runs :0)]

And yes, HRC is looking rested and pretty fine.

• Taylor Marsh June 14, 2013 at 6:32 pm #

Christie slow jams & has a bromance with Bill Clinton, no less [see link on homepage], while the right wing talks religion at a conference, promotes the war on women & homophobia.

Mrs. Clinton sounds very rested.

• secularhumanizinevoluter June 16, 2013 at 8:25 am #

Christie can slime…oops…slim down all he wants. He was and is once you scratch the surface a corrupt thug. Perfect for NJ but nationally such a target rich attack add environment it will make the campaign a true visual delight to behold. Now don’t get me wrong….the wingnutesphere will be screaming BENGHAZI, IRS,NSA and HER GUARDS USED PROSTITUTES for all they’re worth but it would appear the electorate has correctly recognized these all to be as bogus as any faux not news attack piece as the rest of their crap.
        She looks and sounds great and I am getting a tingle in my leg over her impending candidacy(apologies to tweety)!

3. lynnette June 14, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

What a relevant, insightful speech – weaving together the importance of birth – 5 years of age, current brain research, the roles of women and girls, family-work issues, and the numerous implications for parenting, teaching and learning, and economic progress. Hillary gets that when we solve some of these issues, we have a stronger country. I have to comment because Hillary spoke of issues near and dear to my heart, having been a reading specialist K-12 in the inner city and involved in staff development as well. I found myself nodding in agreement throughout the whole speech. I feel like she knows me and the thousands of students I have taught over the years. If there’s one thing parents can do to help develop their children, it’s to read to them – from infancy. Curl ‘em up in the crook of your arm and just read to them – even if it’s the same book over and over. There’s nothing wrong with repetition – in fact, it’s a good thing. The other point Hillary mentioned was talking and having conversations with little ones. I remember taking my infant son grocery shopping and always doing a little show and tell with the “red tomato”, “green cucumber”, yellow banana, etc. These things are simple to do but make a difference in brain stimulation and vocabulary development, which in turn becomes a foundation for reading. Hillary gets it.
    I like the fact she is reaching out to young people and their futures. If she does run for President, I hope that her campaign focuses on this. I agree that should she run, the campaign should look and be quite different from 2008. If she intends to run, this was a great starting point. She may not have the oratory gifts of Barack Obama, but she is solid and very smart. I really appreciate her knowledge and experience. Can you tell I’d like to see her be our next President?? ;)

4. Lake Lady June 14, 2013 at 11:12 pm #

Hey lynnette~ Good to see you on the page. I could not agree more with your comment.There are so many things that Hillary “gets”. She sees the connectedness to things.

When it comes to speeches overall I would still rather hear WJC speek on just about any topic than anyone else. It is always an education. Obama can be very lyrical and literary at times but he can be down right boring and opaque too, his word salads make me crazy or sleepy. Hillary does not usually soar but she informs and demonstrates deep knowledge.However, during the last swing of her campaign she rocked!

5. lynnette June 15, 2013 at 8:03 am #

Hi Lake Lady – good to see you, too. I agree with you on WJC and Hillary. I loved the last half of her campaign, too. I find her inspirational even though she doesn’t have that soaring speech style – I can’t think of many women that do. If she does run, I would like to see Hillary have the same kind of technology savvy strategists that Obama had, knowing how to target and turn out voters. I would also like to see her reach out for the youth vote while keeping the Obama coalition in tact. And finally (can you tell I’ve thought about this?), I would like to see her have a stellar campaign team that serves her well. Joan Walsh had an interesting article on what Hillary should do: http://www.salon.com/2013/06/11/hillary_must_own_2014/