Pond 2013, Frogs, Turtles and Fish

Pond 2013, frogs, turtles and FISHIES!

Pond 2013, frogs, turtles and FISHIES!

WE MOVED the pond this year! What an ordeal it was…

I got it started one Saturday morning a few weeks back and 6 hours of manual gardening labor later, I had moved all the lilies, other plants, and even the frogs! I also got a start on digging out the clay & filling the new deeper space, which Mark finished the next day.

Gold’s Gym and all the yoga I do paid off big time this spring. Unearthing deeply rooted lilies around a pond isn’t easy and neither is shoveling out Virginia clay.

At one point, one of the frogs spied me as the water was draining in the old spot. Looking over her little frog shoulder, she blinked, then allowed me to scoop her up in my deep spoon shovel, then deliver her to the fabulous new home in progress. It’s bigger, deeper and safer, because no one can bother her or her buddies, the other frogs, Mr. Turtle and the fishies.

Today, after a month of torrential downpours, pond 2013 is clear and I actually spied the fish playing down below. Their coloring matches the beautiful lilies that are blooming in our marsh. It’s such a thrill. We treat our pond continually to keep mosquito eggs from turning into a worse invasion of the insidious insects, though we live so close to the Potomac River there are mosquitos and bugs galore.

Having a pond is a lot of work, but we love it. It completes our little ecosystem, which feeds the visiting animals, foxes, as well as the predator hawks.

Pond 2013.

Pond 2013.

, , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Pond 2013, Frogs, Turtles and Fish

1. guyski June 15, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Your pond/marsh looks beautiful. It’s amazing how just a little eceosystem can support so much life. Right now looking out my window on to the marshes of New Jersey, kind of hard to believe that it was all under 5-6ft of water. Anyway, all the critters are back. The birds, deer, turtles (they are laying now) , rabbits, even the snakes.

It’s relaxing just watching nature do its’ thing.

• Taylor Marsh June 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

So glad to hear about New Jersey. Spent several falls along Jersey shore & loved it.

It was so fun seeing how big the fish had gotten!

2. fairmindedindependent June 15, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

It looks great Taylor. Nature is so beautiful nothing like it. I love looking out of my window and seeing the mountians. My plants are doing great and I love looking out my window to see all different birds eating from my bird feeder. The cardinals seem to be spoiled the most, they let me know when to put more food in the feeder.

3. secularhumanizinevoluter June 16, 2013 at 8:17 am #

We have a pond in progress in our back. AMAZING how heavy a shovelful of clay is after a couple of hundred or so. My goal is to have a ‘water feature” waterfall cascading over field stones and some carved stones I am working on. Looking forward to the sound of water gurgling over rocky shapes and splashing into a nice sized surface with native fish, frogs and turtles cavorting in the deep.(planning on a five foot depth at one end of the kidney).
    A local ceramic artist is happily taking all the clay we dig out to use in his studio so we will eventually have a water Dragon…maybe even as a fountan in the center.

• Joyce Arnold June 16, 2013 at 8:56 am #

Sec, I just had to take a moment to say how cool it is that the clay is being “recycled.” :)

4. Joyce Arnold June 16, 2013 at 8:56 am #

One day I’m going to have one of these.

Love it, Taylor.

Oh, and working in veggie / herbs and wild flowers gardens provides lot of good exercise, too :)