Paula Deen Bails on Today Show *UPDATED*

UPDATE: Things were bad, but it seems snubbing the “Today” show, which reaches the world of American morning TV viewers was just too much. Food TV has severed ties with Paula Deen on the same day she released two back to back videos, which included an apology.

The Food Network said Friday that it would not renew Paula Deen’s contract when it expires at the end of June. The announcement followed a bewildering day in which Ms. Deen, the self-proclaimed queen of Southern cooking and a sugary mainstay of the network, failed to show up for an interview on the “Today” show and then begged her family and audience for forgiveness in two online videos for using racial epithets in the past. [New York Times]

Original post follows below.

DailyShow

LAST NIGHT on Erin Burnett’s CNN show, Paula Deen was the subject and whether she should be fired from Food TV was the question, which I thought was absolutely absurd. She’s certainly got a massive PR problem with the wider public, but there will be many people who will wink, nod and move right along. The ratings will decide. The response on Twitter has been deadly all week.

Paula Deen getting lynched on Twitter.

Paula Deen getting lynched on Twitter.

Paul Deen bailed on Matt Lauer today, canceling an appearance to be on the “Today” show. Not a good move.

If you haven’t heard, it all started with a lawsuit by a former employee who is charging sexual harassment and that Bubba Gump’s Shrimp was a hotbed of racial innuendo and slurs, which the National Enquirer blasted to the world through Paul Deen’s own words in her deposition. Asked whether she used the n-word, Deen admitted, “Yes, of course,” though it was back in 1980. A time when Ronald Reagan was employing the southern strategy to get elected.

Another problem for Paula Deen is what will happen to her empire that she’s built over a lifetime, with Food TV helping make it all possible. I’ve got a not so secret passion for some of the Food TV shows, which have made me a much better cook and outdoor chef, but I cannot stomach Paul Deen’s show, because her recipes are totally unhealthy and often disgusting.

Jon Oliver let Paul Deen have it last night, as you’ll see above. He continues to do a bang up job in Jon Stewart’s absence, who’s in the Middle East on his directing debut. Stewart did show up in Egypt, where he dropped in on his friend Bassem Youssef, a heart surgeon turned comedian, who Stewart has defended against President Morsi’s draconian threats.

Paula Deen continues to get lambasted across the media for her gafferiffic n-word, southern plantation wedding belch, but wasn’t the only Food TV chef to make headlines this past week. Nigella Lawson was pictured with her husband’s hands around her throat, which caused a furor, with Lawson next being seen, according to scuttlebutt, without her wedding ring.

If you think that’s bad, you’re right, but evidently Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg thinks it’s no big deal. Clegg is now in the middle of his own PR disaster for having the unmitigated audacity to say what looked like a strangling episode was really just a “fleeting thing.” All hell subsequently broke loose and Clegg is catching hell.

Lots of Food TV drama this week, which is rare. Paula Deen can do a lot with her smooth southern charm, which doesn’t work on me, but whether she can mitigate her n-word catastrophe and save her food empire is yet to be proven.

, , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to Paula Deen Bails on Today Show *UPDATED*

1. T-Steel June 21, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

This is a crock. As a black dude, I’m offended that Paula Deen has been made to look like a bigot. She was HONEST about how a situation looked like (and she wasn’t lying). And let me tell you something, back in my militant black nationalism days, I’ve said things about white folks that makes Paula Deen look like a babbling 6 month old. And some of those SAME white folks have forgiven me based on my ACTIONS. What has Paula Deen done that warrant “Kale and Kabbage Kasserole (KKK)”. Just sickening.

And now Food Network has kicked her to the curb. I need a drink. I absolutely adore Paula Deen. I’ve met in several times in South Carolina (a couple times for an extended period) and she’s was gracious, funny, charming, and just real. I need another drink.

• Marie205 June 21, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

She was fired for not only using racial slurs…but how she treated Black employees…I read that black workers had to use a separate bathroom etc.. It’s all very shocking stuff…I wouldn’t be so quick to defend her until you read “all” the chargers being bought against her…

• Marie205 June 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

also, I use to like watching Paula show too… However, I never used any of her recipes because they all seemed so unhealthy.

• T-Steel June 21, 2013 at 11:21 pm #

Her brother, Bubba Hiers, was the one that the suit was raised against for racial slurs and sexual harassment. Paula Deen so-called crime is using this language many years ago around her brother (which she says was few and far between and in jokes).

See, I’ve evolved beyond this. If the restaurant she co-owned had a culture of racial intolerance and sexual harassment, then it should be roundly blasted. BUT we have allegations (no proof yet) and Paula Deen’s admission of “racial jokes and language” outside of that restaurant. I’m sorry, that doesn’t fill the bill of “bigot needs to get fired”.

• Solo June 22, 2013 at 11:04 am #

All your other posts now make perfect sense!

• Solo June 22, 2013 at 11:13 am #

“Back in my black militant days”! Maybe you shouldn’t be bragging about the fact that you have gone from one extreme end of the racial spectrum to the other. Maybe you should have stopped somewhere in the middle. Paula Deen is a racist who is outwardly nostalgic about the south of old.

• T-Steel June 23, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Oh shut up Solo. That’s the problem with folks with your mindset – you live off the gotcha. A racist can’t help but to harm. Paula Deen hasn’t harmed anyone. What’s in her head has not reflecting in what she has done. And what has she done? Cooked Southern food that folks may or may not like.

You calling me extreme?? Hardly. You posts indicate a dare i say “purity” slant. Roll on.

• Solo June 23, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

Paula Deen hasn’t harmed anyone? Read Marie205 first post on this thread!

• T-Steel June 23, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

First it’s her brother, who pretty much have been involved in almost every single situation of inflammatory and discriminatory acts (employees say he was regularly intoxicated as well). And it looks pretty good that he’s flat out guilty of this. Now he’s not an household name but Paula Deen is. Now Rainbow/PUSH gets involved and a laundry list of former employees are saying things. Nope, I not passing any judgement until more evidence comes out of DIRECT discrimination perpetrated by Paula Deen. Not an association. Did Paula Deen direct the employment practices? How involved was she in day-to-day operations? Is there documented reports of discrimination that were thrown out by Paula Deen. Evidence! Not he said, she said.

2. secularhumanizinevoluter June 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

“Paula Deen can do a lot with her smooth southern charm, which doesn’t work on me, but whether she can mitigate her n-word catastrophe and save her food empire is yet to be proven.”

Maybe she can cater the next RNC or Tea Party conventions?
    Have a triple T-Steel, I am so glad to see this absolute fraud exposed and dumped. How long was she pushing her crap, kill you recipes while she herself had developed diabetes from it and wasn’t eating the sh-t she was pushing on her “shows”.

• T-Steel June 21, 2013 at 11:31 pm #

Absolute fraud??? Paula Deen prepared recipes in a style that many Southerners (and transplanted Southerners) did and still do. Her recipes are NOT crap. You may not like them but crap they are not. I’ve prepared Paula Deen’s “Po Boys” at times and my whole family enjoy them. But we’ve eaten them in moderation and we all exercise regularly so nothing sticking over here. And news flash, that “good ol’ non-Southern cooking” sure doesn’t seem to be better since the entire country has an obesity epidemic due to terrible eating habits, lack of exercise, and poor choices.

And whatever to the RNC and Tea Party references. Typical painting with a broad brush.

And another thing, until folks of my shade stop calling each other the N-word, color me as not giving a rat’s arse when a non-black person says it. Actions is what I go by.

• secularhumanizinevoluter June 22, 2013 at 7:43 am #

Actions…would that be like wanting the Black staff at her “Southern” wedding dressed appropriately….you know….like slaves? As for “absolute fraud” did you miss the part about her pushing the butter and sugar all the while not mentioning that she herself had developed “the sugar” and wouldn’t eat this stuff or it would kill her?
        “and whatever to the RNC and Tea Party references. Typical painting with a broad brush.”
        You’re right…I apologize for thinking those great icons of tolerance the RNC and Tea Party would find her a natural.

• T-Steel June 22, 2013 at 10:15 am #

And so the heck what if she was “pushing the butter and sugar all the while not mentioning that she herself had developed “the sugar” and wouldn’t eat this stuff or it would kill her?” She prepared the recipes as written/developed. Man which were old Southern staples. My grandmother cooked the same way but when health dictated that she couldn’t eat it, she still cooked that way for everyone else BECAUSE THEY ENJOYED IT. Now if you over-indulged, that’s on you.

Still don’t see the fraud.

3. secularhumanizinevoluter June 22, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

“Wanting and doing is TOTALLY different. And also she would have had to PHYSICALLY FORCE those black people to DRESS in a certain way. If those black folks WILLINGLY accepted, no harm no foul.”

What can I say…..guess all those repubs nailed for their minstral shows and such are cool by you.And women having to dress slutty just to get a job is OK too? Must be…having to dress and play act as slaves for the white folks is cool apparently. Now don’t get me wrong….if she is twisted enough and they are desperate enough they can DO it….but that doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be rightfully exposed as the lame excuse for a human she is….and I sure as hell don’t HAVE to pay her. And I sure as hell can make it known to her and her sponsors how I feel about it.
    And yes….she is a fraud. Just as much of a fraud as those ex-gay confolks. IMO a fraud…and a danger at that.

4. secularhumanizinevoluter June 22, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

I’ll grant you she doesn’t come across as a cross burning KuKlucker…..but she DEF comes across like that segment of the population that would give anyone who needed it the shirt off her back but seems to think THOSE people are just DIFFERENT….doesn’t EVERYBODY know that? In other words a good ol MURICAN racist.
    Kudos to Huffington post for finding this gem!

• T-Steel June 23, 2013 at 11:03 am #

I was a racist. In my actions, I openly tried to harm white folks with my actions. Be it scaring little white kids with my yells on the street. Be it donning a ski mask, hollering black power in front of grocery stores and kicking shopping carts into their cars. Be it throwing dog crap at white shop owners in Detroit. And more. I was a racist. So I know a damn racist when I see one. Luckily an intervention shattered my world view and I’m different now.

And that “gem”. Oh wow. You know what I see? I see a white Southern woman who still has lingering views from the “Old South”. But I’m here in South Carolina. Where my neighbor is a good ‘ol boy. And that guy is just like Paula Deen. And guess what? Hasn’t done a thing of harm to me or my family. Bought gifts for my daughter when she came back from Naval Academy technology summer camp because of the honor. Play catch with my black autistic son. And more. Yet he’s had awkward moments as well. Awkward but not harmful. But their are white folks here in South Carolina that pure racists. Who act on it and you see it. Some are mayors of small towns, etc. So I know the difference.

But hey, your fine as a fiddle with labeling Paula Deen as a racist. More power to you. I’m done. Because she is not.

5. Taylor Marsh June 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

These discussions invariably get hot, but so far you have all gone to the water’s edge & not across it.

Let’s take a breath here, please.

We’ve got Trayvan and Zimmerman coming tomorrow…

• T-Steel June 23, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

I have nothing to say about the Martin/Zimmerman Trial. I burned out on the first week way back when. LOL!

• Solo June 23, 2013 at 11:47 pm #