Dear Sarah Palin, Bill Maher’s a Comedian

Sarah Palin is back.

Sarah Palin is back on Fox News channel.

IS ANYTHING worse than an opportunistic political grandstander like Sarah Palin playing word police with a comedian like Bill Maher? These two both love the controversy and the attention, because it serves each of their mutual purpose.

It’s 2013 and Sarah Palin has fallen a long way from her vice presidential nomination and her 2010 leadership with the Tea Party. What she once earned is long in the dust.

What brought it on is that Bill Maher called Trig “retarded” in Las Vegas, which the Review-Journal reported, saying some local Vegas celebrity took offense and shouted the news. Here’s what was reported, via Huffington Post:

Maher chose to make a joke about Palin’s son, Trig and in the process he used the “R” word to describe this 5 year old special needs boy. Of course, since Trig is Palin’s son, he is a target of the left. Special needs be damned, there are jokes to be made by “caring compassionate” liberals. I was so disgusted and a bit surprised that I forgot the exact joke. Perhaps he saves this joke for live audiences only. The audience of more supposed compassionate, caring leftists loved the joke and roared with laughter. – Ron Furtrell

Political correctness kills comedy and Bill Maher referring to Trig as “retarded,” in what is being described as “mocking,” without hearing the whole context, is worthless. Some people may think even talking about Trig should be off limits, but this is comedy, not a political debate.

It’s not even being reported what exactly was said, but of course that didn’t stop Sarah Palin, whose only card anymore is going off half-cocked. Tweets ensued, with Palin delighting her fans by tweeting:

Hey bully, on behalf of all kids whom you hatefully mock in order to make yourself feel big, I hope one flattens your lily white wimpy a#*.

This will make perfect fodder for Sarah’s next appearance on Fox News. Yes, you got it, she’s ba-aack.

In response to Palin’s return, Fox News chief Roger Ailes said in a statement, “I’ve had several conversations with Governor Palin in the past few weeks about her rejoining FOX News as a contributor. I have great confidence in her and am pleased that she will once again add her commentary to our programming. I hope she continues to speak her mind.”

[Huffington Post]

, , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Dear Sarah Palin, Bill Maher’s a Comedian

1. Smooth Jazz June 13, 2013 at 6:35 pm #

“Political correctness kills comedy and Bill Maher referring to Trig as “retarded,” in what is being described as “mocking,” without hearing the whole context, is worthless. Some people may think even talking about Trig should be off limits, but this is comedy, not a political debate”

You have got to be kidding – You think it’s OK for Maher to trash a young defenseless child?

What would you say if he trashed Chelsea Clinton. I realize it’s Hillary’s “turn” but I would like to see your reaction if he trashed Hillary’s child in this way – or Obama’s daughter for that matter.

I cannot believe you are defending this vile cockroach Maher. I would love to how you would react if it was Hillary’s child.

2. fairmindedindependent June 13, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

Maybe Sarah Palin is making her comeback who knows. With the IRS scandal involving some Tea Party groups, with Sarah Palin basically one of the main leaders of the Tea Party, maybe she see’s a opening and taking it. There is no other woman so far in the Republican Party that can get the attention Sarah Palin can, It seems just the men are getting the attention like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul that leaves a opening for Sarah Palin because she is the only Republican woman so far that speaks out. With Sarah Palins daughters Bristol and Willow trading places with Melissa and Joan Rivers on Celebrity Wife Swap, with Sarah Palin coming back to Fox, maybe the Palins are making a comeback who knows.

3. dafederalist June 14, 2013 at 1:25 am #

Well..since she has nothing better to do (Since I guess polls show that a run for the Senate in Alaska is a Hell No!) she will go back to FOX News cause mama grizzly’s gotta eat!

All the outrage over a comedian using the “R” word…I’m still waiting for Sarah to “Mic Check” Bill o’Rielly for http://youtu.be/WT6FLZJRlgw. But calling children names is a bit over the top….hmmm….so I’ll wait for Sarah to also check some of her conservative commentators over the treatment of the Obama Girls.

4. crawdad June 14, 2013 at 8:53 am #

I can’t imagine a context in which calling a 5 year old with Downs Syndrome “retarded” would be funny. But Sarah Palin is an unperson, which means she is also unwoman. Such creatures have no souls and they (and their families) can be attacked, insulted, mistreated and/or abused with impunity.

• cjoblak@hotmail.com June 14, 2013 at 10:49 am #

I hope you are being facetious.

If not, you are as vile as Bill Maher.

5. ladywalker68 June 14, 2013 at 9:11 am #

Goodness knows, I am no fan of Sarah Palin. That said, I am also not a huge follower of Bill Maher, either. Sometimes he is funny but much of the time, his humor crosses the line.

So I am having a very difficult time imagining a context that I would find it funny to make a child the butt of retarded humor.

One can also point out that Michael Richards is also a comedian and while his racist rant was directed at a heckler, using the First Amendment as a get out of jail free card and all that stuff, I guess that was OK too?

6. flameworker June 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

I have to agree with you, Ms. Marsh. I searched the web to find what Maher said exactly but can only rind right wing sites that gleefully ran with the story. I’m not sure why Maher would choose to make any reference to Trig at all, and believe that ALL children of political figures should be off limits unless they themselves have done something newsworthy, i.e. winning a Nobel prize, getting arrested, etc.

However, I AM the parent of a retarded adult. There, I said it. It’s a word that happens to be used by physicians, educators and scientific literature describing people of below average I.Q. If Sarah Palin chooses to use the more euphemistic term, “special”, that’s indicative of the fact that she hasn’t truly come to terms with her son’s reality.

• cjoblak@hotmail.com June 14, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

there sure are a lot of people with “retarded” children that haven’t come to terms with their child’s reality, then. All the parents I know with Special Needs children never refer to them as being “retarded”.

Quite a harsh person you are. Hopefully, you treat your adult special needs child more compassionately than you give other people credit for.

7. Taylor Marsh June 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

flameworker June 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm

It’s amazing that at the posting of this piece there wasn’t even a transcript of what Bill Maher actually said. Though I can’t speak to your experiences (or Palins), thanks for sharing & for your open-mindedness of what performing is all about. Context *should* matter, but as you see from the comments here, which are a small example compared to Twitter & beyond, no one cares about what Maher actually said. It’s very telling and it’s also the world in which we live.

As someone who started performing when I was a kid and spent decades on the stage and in the 2000s wrote & produced my own one-woman show, I’ve got one rule on these things. A performer gets to express him- or herself as she sees fit.

Audiences can love or hate it, critics can scream, pan or condemn it, but it’s called artistic freedom.

Anyone, including a parent, weighing in on what should not be said is immaterial, especially since Maher’s audience came to hear his irreverence, which often tilts deep into the insulting.

All this outrage was predictable & Maher knew it and I have no doubt LOVES it. Anyone who doesn’t, as far as he’s concerned, especially since they didn’t pay to see him, can stuff it.

8. audette7 June 19, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

Comedy?…..Is that what you call that? I thought comedy was supposed to be funny.