CNN’s Crossfire Reboot

Crossfire returns this fall.

Crossfire returns this fall.

IT WAS announced today that Van Jones, Newt Gingrich, Stephanie Cutler and S.E. Cupp will be the “Crossfire” team in the fall.

From the press release:

CNN today announced that Crossfire, previously the longest running political debate program on television, will return to the network this fall. Hosting from the right will be Newt Gingrich and S.E. Cupp, with Stephanie Cutter and Van Jones hosting from the left.

“Few programs in the history of CNN have had the kind of impact on political discourse that Crossfire did – it was a terrific program then, and we believe the time is right to bring it back and do it again,” said Jeff Zucker, President of CNN Worldwide. “We look forward to the opportunity to host passionate conversation from all sides of the political spectrum. Crossfire will be the forum where America holds its great debates.”

In addition, all four hosts will appear across the network’s programming and its special coverage surrounding elections and political events.

“Following the successful launches of Around the World, The Lead with Jake Tapper, and New Day, we felt it was the right time to turn our attention next to Crossfire,” said Ken Jautz, Executive Vice President of CNN. “This will be the next step in reinvigorating our lineup of live programs.” …

, , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to CNN’s Crossfire Reboot

1. secularhumanizinevoluter June 26, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

I just threw up a little in my mouth……GINGRICH?!!!!!! S.E.Cupp?!!!!!!

2. Cujo359 June 26, 2013 at 3:11 pm #

Not that familiar with Cutler, but none of the others are anyone whose opinions I’d take an interest in. Any typical All In guest panel is likely to have more worthwhile discussions.

• Taylor Marsh June 26, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Broad sweep on Cutler… She has been inside the Democratic machine for years, inside the Obama administration as well. She’s the Obama spokesperson that got into with Rove during the election. I believe she worked for Geithner at one time in the past. She was in the Kerry campaign, to much infamy, which I don’t think was fair. She’s very tough.

• Cujo359 June 26, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

Yes, her Wiki bio certainly suggests that she’s an insider.

I think I’d be a lot more interested in a show like Crossfire if it wasn’t just two political operatives from each of the major parties. There are no libertarians, no greens, no independents, in other words, no one who is dissatisfied with what both of the major parties are doing, or is likely to offer a perspective outside of the major parties’ opinions.

Which is what I found boring with most of the DC talk shows before I just stopped watching the things. What the two parties have to say is certainly important, but they’re not the only interesting voices, particularly when they’re only talking to each other.

3. jinbaltimore June 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

more money in the bank for John Stewart!

4. fairmindedindependent June 26, 2013 at 8:02 pm #

I thought S.E. Cupp was on The Cycle on MSNBC, usually they don’t allow you to go to a competing network to do a show. I loved Crossfire back in the day but this lineup does not sound too promising.

• secularhumanizinevoluter June 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

Am I the only person who thinks S.E.Cupp CALLING herself C Cup is about as lame as it can get?