Queer Talk: Riot Against LGBTs at Anti-Homophobia Rally [Video]

RussiansRiotAgainstGaysCapture

Via John Aravosis at America Blog Gay, a video of a riot against LGBTs (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) at a small anti-homophobia, anti-transphobia, anti-biphobia rally.

It’s a horrific video. Thousands … of former-Soviet Georgians rioting in the streets of Tbilisi, attacking a small handful of gay rights protesters holding a rally for the International Day Against Homophobia.

The video is just horrific. Crowds were shouting ‘Kill them! Tear them to pieces!’ and ‘Where are they? Don’t leave them alive!’

, , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Queer Talk: Riot Against LGBTs at Anti-Homophobia Rally [Video]

1. newdealdem1 May 18, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

This was a day marked by gay people in Tbilisi to mark the international day against homophobia. I can’t express my respect enough for those 50 gay civil rights activists (I would imagine there were a few non-gay protesters there as well) whose courage far surpasses anything most of us have either done or gone through in our lives, whatever our sexual orientation in this regard.

This is one of the most disgusting and mind-numbing displays of hatred since video’s I’ve seen of violence against those simply seeking civil rights in our country during the ’60′s. Remembering those civil rights video’s made me weep with anger as does this one. I sometimes truly loathe some human beings (who barely make the cut).

And, the islamic-phobics, many of whom are Christians (orthodox or not) declare that all those who practice the Islamic religion are animals and terrorists? Take a good look in your mirrors.

I cannot imagine how terrorized those peaceful, non-violent civil rights protesters must have felt during the 1960′s as they were hosed, attacked by dogs (some in human form), and beaten almost to death (Rep. John Lewis). And, similarly, I cannot imagine how terrorized those people sitting in that bus in Tbilisi must have felt during that anti-human onslaught.

Is anyone except the most cockeyed Christian, Muslim or Jew (orthodox or not) really surprised by this display by the Georgian Orthodox Church head who was part of the instigation of the mob and those priests who participated in this appalling, ugly and monstrous riot who outnumbered those in the buses by how much? F..king cowards.

Although it was good to see that the police protected these 50 brave souls against that hideous mob, imo, the Georgian Government has a lot to answer for to let things get this out of control. http://tinyurl.com/bhtfjem

• Joyce Arnold May 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

I almost didn’t watch the video, when I first saw it, because I knew it was going to be disturbing. But if seem very important that we are aware that this sort of thing goes on. I can’t imagine, either, what it must have felt like.

I noticed, too, that the police did help the vehicle get through, so at least those individuals did the right thing. I also noticed that it appears the van or bus or whatever it is, could have speeded up, once through the crowd, but continued at a careful speed. I’m guessing, of course, but that guess is that whoever was driving didn’t want to hit anyone.

And yes, the Orthodox Church leadership in Georgia has much to answer for, as does the government.

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 18, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

Interesting….I made a comment pointing out the FACT that this behavior is the logical extension of the views espoused by the conSERvative half of the two party system in America. This truth can be verified EASILY through countless quotes from all levels of elected and party and conSERvative Christian officials and it was deemed unfit by the moderater………..

• Joyce Arnold May 19, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Hey sec, I can’t address the comment you mention, but will say that there are certainly connections to be made between what, from my perspective, are extreme positions regularly expressed in a public manner — by leaders and spokespersons of whatever group, including but not limited to Electeds and faith organizations — and contributing to judgmental attitudes. Most people aren’t going to take it to the level seen in the video, of course. But words matter. Words are powerful. Of course, that’s also why it’s so important when, for example, Electeds and leaders of faith organizations speak out in support.

2. fairmindedindependent May 19, 2013 at 2:59 am #

This video proves that there is much more work to be done to fight for LGBT rights around the World. In a lot of countries, you will be sent to prison or receive the death penalty for being LGBT or fined. Georgia is supposed to be a democracy, where all the people have the right to freedom of speech without being intimidated like this. This region along with others have a major problem with homophobia.

• Joyce Arnold May 19, 2013 at 9:22 am #

The unreasoning, un / misinformed judgments against and hate for LGBTs is clearly still very strong and present. The irony of this incident happening at an action marking the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia is obvious.

We have lots of work to do.