Queer Talk: FL Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Arrested for Lesbian Relationship

StopTheHateFreeKateViaChange.org

Kaitlyn Hunt, a Florida high school senior, has been expelled, and arrested, as Think Progress reports, charged with a felony for a lesbian relationship. It’s one of several recent reports that make clear that, in spite of all the progress, full equality under the law remains a goal, not a reality, for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

A few other recent (within the last week) examples: New York City Rocked By Hate Crime Murder And Spate Of Anti-Gay Violence; Gay Texan cut off from partner of 34 years who has Alzheimer’s after sister-in-law obtained guardianship; Washington Florist Countersues For Religious Right To Discriminate; Judge says lesbian mom’s partner must go. This is just a short list. It could be much longer.

Now, about Kaitlyn Hung, via Think Progress:

A Florida family says their 18-year-old daughter was charged with a felony and expelled from high school as a result of a consensual, same-sex relationship with another student.

Kaitlyn Hunt started dating a female classmate at the beginning of the school year when she was 17 and the girl she was dating was about three years younger. According to an account posted to Facebook by Kaitlyn’s mother, in February, shortly after Kaitlyn turned 18, she was arrested on felony charges at the behest of her girlfriend’s parents. The specific crime was ‘sexual battery on a person 12-16 years old.’

The parents of the girl friend also managed to get Kaitlyn expelled from Sebastian River High School.

Kaitlyn’s mom reports that the State Attorney, Brian Workman, has offered Kaitlyn a plea deal ‘of two years house arrest and one year probation.’ Kaitlyn has until … Friday (May 24) to accept the plea deal or face a trial.

More from The Advocate:

Kaitlyn Hunt was a popular student at Sebastian River High School, participating in everything from cheerleading to basketball. Hunt began dating another female student and the latter girl’s parents became enraged, according to Hunt’s parents. Kaitlyn was 17 at the time the relationship began, while her girlfriend was 15. Upon Kaitlyn’s 18th birthday, her girlfriend’s parents sent the police to the Hunt home and the teenager was arrested.

Weeks before the excitement of your high school graduation, and anticipations of what happens next in your life, Kaitlyn is now living in a nightmare. And while we have no information about what’s happening with Kaitlyn’s girlfriend, it’s a fairly safe guess her life is in turmoil as well.

And I think this is a fair question (and I’m far from alone is asking it): Had everything been the same, in terms of ages when two teenagers started dating and when one turned 18, had the 18 year old been a guy and the 15 year old a girl, would felony charges and expulsion from school been the likely responses? It’s not impossible, of course, but a comment by the younger girl’s parents, according to Steven Hunt, Kaitlyn’s father and via Think Progress is revealing:

Kaitlyn’s father suggests his daughters arrest – and the substantial sentence sought by the prosecutor – are motivated by anti-gay bias. He told ThinkProgress that the younger girl’s parents have told teachers at the high school that ‘their daughter will NOT be gay.’

In the same report:

On Friday night, 18-year-old Kaitlyn Hunt and her family went public with their story … . . The response in the 48-hours that followed, … Steven Hunt told ThinkProgress in an interview, was ‘extraordinary.’

Already, nearly 40,000 people have signed a petition calling on the Assistant State Attorney, Brian Workman, to drop the case. On Facebook, more than 13,000 people have joined a group – Free Kate – in support of the family. …

The family’s attorney, Julia Graves, has assembled a table of experienced defense lawyers that will convene next week to discuss Kaitlyn’s legal options. Meanwhile, Kaitlyn is scheduled to appear in court again on June 20. At that time, if a plea agreement is not reached, the judge could set a date for trial.

See the petition at Change.org here.

(Stop the Hate Free Kate via Change.org)

, , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Queer Talk: FL Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Arrested for Lesbian Relationship

1. secularhumanizinevoluter May 26, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

This one troubles me…….was she charged with having a GAY sexual relationship with a minor or just a SEXUAL relationship?
    I understand the consternation and uproar if it can be shown that she and the minor were actually having sex AND if there are cases of 18 year old Boys having sex with 14 year old girls that were not ptosecuted….or 18 year old girls boinking 14 year old boys.
    But the simple fact remains…IF she was actually having sex with a minor gay or straight…..it IS a crime.

• newdealdem1 May 26, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

Joyce, thank you for covering this horrific miscarriage of justice for this gay girl who did nothing wrong as her girlfriend did nothing wrong. When I learned about this case, I was and still am appalled.

This is the gay girl’s Plan B although it’s not a “pill” but a relationship between two minor girls one 3 years older than her girlfriend. The Plan B in the gay girls world is the sexual relationship some parents cannot or will not abide in their gay daughter (hence the absurd charges trumped up by the younger gay girls parents towards her girlfriend).

“Kaitlyn was 17 at the time the relationship began, while her girlfriend was 15. Upon Kaitlyn’s 18th birthday, her girlfriend’s parents sent the police to the Hunt home and the teenager was arrested.”Joyce

And, that is the issue here. Two year difference in age between these girls. Both girls were minors when they began their relationship which was also sexual and the younger girls parents deliberately waited until Kaitlyn turned 18 to report her to her high school and to the authorities. They well knew what they were doing and wanted to have Kaitlyn punished to the full extent of this unfair and unjust law for gay kids because they refused to accept or admit that their daughter was or could be gay but it was Kaitlyn who “forced” her into a gay relationship. Which is complete rubbish.

The girl, according to Kaitlyn’s parents, was a constant presence in Kaitlyn’s home, was good friends with Kaitlyn’s siblings and with them as well. They both said they were aware that Kaitlyn’s was dating this girl and approved of her choice as they approved of Kaitlyn’s heterosexual sibling’s dating.

Sec,

I’ve been aware of your posts on this blog since 2008 and I’ve had an affection for you since then even though I don’t always agree with your comments or the way in which you express yourself all the time. But, even after all these years, I still hold you in great esteem frankly because you are unique and oh so very human and passionate and real about what you believe and feel and so very few people feel anything but contempt for their sisters and brothers (and, I’ve even felt that contempt from some who post on this blog). I understand your anathema to religion especially Christianity because I, too, share some of what you feel.

A couple of months ago, during the steubenville rape case, I posted a very beautiful response by Melissa McEwan of the Shakesville blog to the girl who was raped in Ohio. This is what McEwan had to say:

“One of the reasons I have not written more about this case, though I have been following it, is because its familiarity makes it a difficult story for me. I was raped in high school by a popular student athlete and great student, and I was asked over and over, as I was passed from police to the school social worker to the school counselors, down the ladder of power, do I really want to ruin his life over this? There wasn’t a whole lot of concern about the trajectory of my life, or how it might have changed.

Deep breath.

I’m not going to spend any more of my energy on anger. I’ve got nothing for contempt for anyone who would center concern for rapists over a victim.

Instead, I want to say to the survivor of these multiple acts of rape, in case she ever wanders by this space, and to any other survivors who might need to hear these words: I care about you. I wish for you the support and love that you need, and the access to healthcare services that might be of use following trauma. I hope you will find peace, and, if you can’t, I want you to know that there is at least one person in the world who thinks that’s okay. You aren’t obliged to be peaceful for me, or anyone else. I will think of you. I will survive alongside you. Restless and relentless.”

After I posted McKwan’s heatfelt and beautiful words of comfort to that girl, you posted here on this blog that you had been sexually abused as a kid. When I read your post, my heart was so full and I wished with all my full heart that McKwan’s gorgeous words helped you to continue to heal which I have no doubt is a life long journey.

My continued affection and respect for you remains intactnot

But, I cannot let your comment go by without a response. You are wrong. There is no crime here and this has nothing to do with being politically correct or not or whether a girl could or should be accused or not of sexual assault just as a boy could or should be accused of a sexual assault. Although it’s much less common, women can sexually assault men and women just as men can sexually assault women and men. No argument at all from me in that regard.

But, that is not what this relationship between these two girls (both minors when they began dating) was about for all the actual and real reasons in every report of this case I’ve read over the past week.

Trumped up charges (a “felony”!) to attempt to ruin a young girl’s life with a mark on her for the rest of her life for no good reason outside of the accusing parents unwillingness and refusal to deal with their gay daughter as a gay child.

And, that, Sec, is not only unjust but outrageous and indicative of a gay/straight double standard that WILL.NOT.STAND.

Joyce posted a link above. I will repeat what Joyce posted: Stop the Hate, Free Kate. Please sign this petition at Change.org http://tinyurl.com/bxwr7rn Over a quarter million people signed so far. I and my wife signed. Please join the rational men and women who recognize this for what it is, an injustice and egregious double standard that WILL.NOT.STAND.

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 27, 2013 at 4:00 pm #

newdealdem……
        And your words regarding Ms.Melissa McEwan and my own past…experiances are deeply appriciated. I honestly can’t think of a more violent or violating act then destroying someones sense of selfworth and the resulting chaos and confusion about where sex fits into this thing called life and love then rape. especially the rape of a child or young person…but rape any way shape or form.

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 27, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

“intactnot ” ?

• newdealdem1 May 29, 2013 at 1:16 am #

The second error from my original post to you.

I type very fast and sometimes my brain and fingers race with one another for the win. Silly contest. “wince”

“intactnot” should read “intact”

• newdealdem1 May 29, 2013 at 1:13 am #

“I have admiration and respect for you and your posts since the first one I read here. You have always shared well thought out impecibly reasoned and logical responces to some posts that have driven me through the roof.” Sec

Thanks, sec, that means a lot to me. (I get that being driven through the roof thing. ;) :) )

“And your words regarding Ms.Melissa McEwan and my own past…experiances are deeply appriciated.” Sec

Melissa McEwan’s words take first place here. If my words lent any comfort to you, I am humbled by your appreciation, Sec.

“I honestly can’t think of a more violent or violating act then destroying someones sense of selfworth and the resulting chaos and confusion about where sex fits into this thing called life and love then rape. especially the rape of a child or young person…but rape any way shape or form.” Sec

Neither can I “think of a more violent and violating act then destroying someones sense of selfworth…….. especiallly the rape of a child or young person… but rape any way shape or form”. I am a very forgiving person. My temper flares up and then it is gone unless a person violates a child sexually, emotionally or physically; or, a woman or man is raped. Then my liberal self is put to the test and there is no contest here as I give no quarter to those who harm a child in any way or sexually assault a woman or man.

“On this……as absurd and morally reprehensable as I think this is, I mean seriously folks…teenagers having sex?! OMGawd what ain’t even there….to me the big thing is the law.” Sec

As I said in my original post, both girls were minors when they began dating and then being physical with each other. Both were minors, Sec. Also, the parents waited until Kaitlin turned 18 (no longer a minor per Florida law) to pounce on her and their daughter’s relationship which they could not accept as they refused to accept their daughter’s being gay (both are Pentacostal Christians).

“This sucks……and there most CERTAINLY is a moral arguement and maybe a legal arguement for selective prosecution if it can be shown heterosexual couplings with the same age situations have been ignored or treated differently BUT….if the law is anyone over 18 having sex with anyone under 18 then the law MUST to be changed.” Sec

Again, both were minors when they began dating and being physical with one another. It was two girls having a consensual relationship until the older girl became old enough to be prosecuted by the vengeful parents of the younger girl.

Had the younger girl’s parents truly been outraged, they would have ended any kind of relationship between the two girls long before Kaitlyn turned 18.
          They would have forbidden their daughter to see her, be near her, or have any contact with her. Instead, they wait until six months after Kaitlyn turned 18, and have her arrested. This isn’t outrage — this is revenge — pure and simple.

From the ACLU:

“Her promising future could be ruined merely because she engaged in behavior that countless other students in every school operating under the state attorney’s jurisdiction also engage in. This prosecution does nothing to protect Florida’s young people but instead causes a great deal of harm.”

“I hope I didn’t in any way come across like I supported this action in any way….it is RIDICULOUSLY OBSCENE and unjust in the extreme.” Sec

Sec, you clarified your stand on this with this post. Thank you for your moving, eloquent and meaningful response.

Namaste.

The other day, at the end of a response to Joyce, , I said if I had available to me that little emo bestowing flowers that is how I would have closed my post to her. And, now, I offer you the same as I close my response to you.

2. newdealdem1 May 26, 2013 at 11:50 pm #

Correction for this wrongly phrased sentence:

“I just hope heterosexuals who were/are outraged and outspoken about Plan B being denied heterosexual girls below the age of 15 are as outraged and outspoken about Kaitlyn’s and her younger girlfriends sexual relationship which started when both were minors.”

Should be:

“I just hope heterosexuals who were/are outraged and outspoken about Plan B being denied heterosexual girls below the age of 15 are as outraged and outspoken about Kaitlyn’s and her younger girlfriends relationship which included sex which started when both were minors for which Kaitlyn is now being accused of sexual abuse.”