“In 2011 they [GOP controlled House] came in and passed a continuing resolution for the remainder of that fiscal year. The House proposed $70 million cut in the WSP [Worldwide Security Program for the State Department] and they proposed a $204 million cut in Embassy security,” says Mr. Lilly. “Then the next year, fiscal 2012, they cut worldwide security by $145 million and embassy security by $376 million. This year’s bill is the same thing all over again. The House has cut the worldwide security budget $149 million below the request.” [Christian Science Monitor]
THIS latest partisan tomfoolery masquerading as an official report on Benghazi should not be taken seriously by anyone. It seems to all revolve around Marine security unit not being extended, which came under former Secretary Clinton’s signature.
House Republicans charged Tuesday that then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton rejected a direct plea for additional security for U.S. diplomats in Libya before the fatal attack in Benghazi last year, which Republicans say contradicts her claim in congressional testimony that such requests did not come to her.
Five committees of the Republican-led House concluded in a new report on the attack that cuts in security measures in Libya were approved “at the highest levels of the State Department,” including in at least one instance by Clinton. The report cites an April 2012 internal State Department message, called a cable, bearing Clinton’s signature. The message acknowledged a formal request for the extension of a Marine Corps security detail in the country, but ordered that a planned withdrawal go ahead as planned, the Republican report says.
[…] White House National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said the report “appears to raise questions that have already been asked and answered in great detail” by the administration. She noted that the State Department’s Accountability Review Board found that the interagency response was “timely and appropriate.”
The Washington Times provides the hyper partisan fantasy version:
In the most damning conclusion, House Republicans said Mr. Obama’s team lied about the attacks afterward, first by blaming mob violence spawned by an anti-Muslim video, and then wrongly saying it had misled the public because it was trying to protect an FBI investigation.
“This progress report reveals a fundamental lack of understanding at the highest levels of the State Department as to the dangers presented in Benghazi, Libya, as well as a concerted attempt to insulate the Department of State from blame following the terrorist attacks,” the GOP investigation concluded in its 46-page report.
The White House dismissed the report as a rehash of questions the administration has answered, and said it has provided extraordinary cooperation.
Gawker provides the real purpose of the report, so I don’t have to repeat what I’ve already written:
But those are facts, and facts are immaterial to the House Republicans’ main aim: to energize a knuckle-dragging, conspiracy-minded base for a possible presidential fight against Clinton in 2016.
Fox News, Sean Hannity and the wing nut right are going to make Benghazi the central focus of their attacks on Clinton if she runs in 2016. They’re paving the way now as a preemptive measure.