Dicker on Cuomo, Hillary and 2016

hillary_state2

IT’S THE mostly unspoken truth that infuriates anti Hillary folks. That if Hillary Clinton decides to run for president in 2016 she’ll clear the field.

Fred Dicker, who knows the New York terrain better than anyone, gets the scoop that isn’t news, because no Democrat could compete against Hillary if she decides to run.

Gov. Cuomo has quietly told associates that he is resigned to the fact that he can’t run for president in 2016 if Hillary Rodham Clinton enters the race, as is widely expected, sources told The Post.

“The governor has told people in recent weeks that there’s not a chance for him to run if Hillary gets in the race because she’ll easily wrap up the Democratic nomination,’’ said a Cuomo administration insider with direct knowledge of the situation.

Dicker goes on to quote the poll last week that reveals why Cuomo might be making his statement, with his own poll numbers adding to his reasoning.

A University of New Hampshire poll late last week showed how hard it would be for any Democrat to challenge Clinton.

The poll found her the blowout favorite to win the Granite State’s first-in-the-nation primary in 2016, backed by 61 percent of Democrats. Vice President Joe Biden ran a distant second, with just 7 percent.

Got a comment?  Send it here.

, , , , , ,

6 Responses to Dicker on Cuomo, Hillary and 2016

1. Ga6thDem April 29, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

I had seen an article saying this a while back. Cuomo was waiting on Hillary to decide whether he was going to run or not.

• Taylor Marsh April 29, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

There should be challengers, starting with Joe Biden, who is likely.

That is IF-IF-IF she runs.

If she doesn’t there will be a new generation of females who will quickly emerge, starting with Kirsten Gillibrand, who has been diligently creating a war chest and a lot of good will with Democrats across the country.

I’m hoping Sheryl Sandberg [Lean In fame] will entertain politics once Boxer or Feinstein decides to retire.

• Ga6thDem April 29, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Yes, I would like Sandberg to run also. I’m not sure that Biden will go anywhere if he does run. I mean he’s run several times already and I thought he was a decent candidate but I think his time has passed and with the history of VPs winning elections not being all that great, I would think his chances are sort of slim.

I think everybody is wondering IF IF IF apparently

2. LiberalJoe April 29, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Hillary may be the prohibitive favorite, but competition is always good. I’d like to see Gov O’Mally of MD run, and even though he is in his late 70′s Jerry Brown-he would really shake up the field by showing what true democratic party policies can do. Throw in Howard Dean also.. I want a barn burner of a primary field. Mrs. Clinton based on her record would be a somewhat extension of the policies of the past 30 years. I don’t think she would change the direction of the political discussion at all-it would still be fundamentally conservative and likely play on Republican turf.

If other Dem woman run I’d rather see a woman who has been a governor. Sen Gillibrand as solid as she has been on many issues would not be my choice, and I don’t think the country will elect someone from the Senate again-the chamber has dismal respect from the country. Gov Hassan from New Hampshire should run so we can see what she has.

I want someone who will play on Democratic turf and move the conversation sharply leftward.

Given Pres Obama’s current positions and direction -it is my belief that the economy will still be in the toilet with only marginal improvement for the middle class by 2016. If that is the case the country will be starving for a change in direction and hopefully won’t be fooled or cajoled by star power to vote for a continuation of the policies. These policies are killing this country economically.

Pres Obama has been an utter failure as a leader in dealing with the economic direction and economic fairness in the country.

It may be Mrs. Clinton’s time but any continuation of the policies of the past 30yrs will not help the country one bit.

• Ga6thDem April 29, 2013 at 7:25 pm #

The reason that I ended up supporting her back in 2008 (I did not like her intially) was because 1. she understood that the GOP is a bunch of crazy nuts that you have to hit over the head with a bat and 2. she ran to the left of Obama on the economy. What Obama has done should be no suprise to anyone. I mean he sat there and talked about how Reagan was a transfomrational president, not something any Dem should say.

3. newdealdem1 April 30, 2013 at 1:44 am #

“The reason that I ended up supporting her back in 2008 (I did not like her intially) was because 1. she understood that the GOP is a bunch of crazy nuts that you have to hit over the head with a bat”

LOL, very true. Can we pleaz haz crazy GOP nuts hit over head with bats by Hillary? Weeeee. :)

“and 2. she ran to the left of Obama on the economy. ”

Yup,she did and that includes on health care as well. What not very many people know is that Hillary Clinton received an A rating when she was Senator from NY from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_Major_Institute for middle class issues.