Quote-apalooza: “I’m not gay. So I’m not going to marry one.”

saxbychambliss

“I’m not gay. So I’m not going to marry one.”Senator Saxby Chambliss

COME ONE. Come all. Read ‘em all.

Politico, however accidentally, has a compilation of homophobic Republican ignorance spewing out of the mouths of a bunch of white men, with an assist from a couple of Democratics, two up for reelection, and two women, who haven’t one solid clue among them what the country is thinking, let alone what young people and the next generations watching them believe.

“For me, it’s something that I’ve held steady on since I was in the House of Representatives when we were debating this and when I first got to the Senate,” said South Dakota Sen. John Thune.

How proud Mr. Thune must be to be so consistently homophobic, following people instead of leading the way to equality for everyone in America, the foundation of this country.

As for civil rights, for Republicans…

“It’s a state’s rights issue,” said North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr.

And Rand Paul, of filibuster courage and principle, agrees. You know, similar to if a business owner wants to keep a certain minority out of his eating establishment he should be able to.

“I believe in traditional, historic and the religious nature of marriage,” said Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, the tea party Republican and possible 2016 presidential candidate. “Marriage is always a state issue, and I think it should remain a state issue.” [Politico]

But it was John McCain who chose projectile incoherence that launched him into another subject to get himself out of the goo he was left standing in.

“A lot of the views on marriage varies a lot with different parts of the country,” McCain said. “On the issue of gay marriage, that is a moral issue, in my view. It depends on your fundamental beliefs, but on an issue such as comprehensive immigration, it’s an issue of whether we’re going to, in my view, move forward with an issue that needs to be addressed: 11 million people who are out there living in the shadows. So I view those two issues somewhat differently.” [Politico]

This response is just precious…

“This isn’t something that senators are discussing all the time,” said Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley, GOP point man on the Judiciary Committee.

Considering how uncomfortable everyone is about it, I guess not.

But not to be outdone, get a load of two female Democrats on the subject.

“Right now, I’m going to focus on jobs in North Carolina and getting this debt and deficit under control,” Sen. Kay Hagan said, whose obviously very nervous about her reelection.

“I’m still not supportive of it,” said Sen. Mark Pryor, a Democrat up for reelection in Arkansas.

“I think there’s a lot of shift going on in the country, and I’m thinking about it,” said McCaskill. She then called Rob Portman being educated by his own gay son “courageous.”

That’s our Senate, folks.

Still wondering why we have the leadership we do?

These people are the best this country can get, because if you want to be a United States Senator in American you have to buy your way into Congress.

Oh, wait!

Last but not least we have Linsday Graham, who stands with South Carolina, though I don’t think we’ve ever seen this guy standing next to a woman. Well, not at least one that wasn’t Senator Kelly Ayotte.

“I’m with South Carolina,” said GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham, who also faces voters next year. “I believe in traditional marriage – between a man and a woman, without animosity. I don’t mind if people are able to transfer their property, visit their loved ones in hospitals, but marriage to me, I’ve stayed with the concept of traditional marriage.” [Politico]

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Quote-apalooza: “I’m not gay. So I’m not going to marry one.”

1. fangio March 21, 2013 at 4:09 pm #

” Following people instead of leading the way. ” Guess that would sum up the entire political situation right now.

” Marriage is a states rights issue. ” It’s amazing how many things have become states rights issues. Maybe we should just go back to the ” Articles of Confederation. ”

Marriage is nobody’s business except for those actually getting married. As for Graham, I’d like to hire someone to follow him around and record what he does in his spare time.

• Taylor Marsh March 21, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

re Graham… I’m kind of surprised nobody’s done that already.

2. jinbaltimore March 21, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

“I believe in traditional marriage – between a man and a woman, without animosity.”

Loving the misplaced modifier.

“But if they argue, forget it!”

3. DaGoat March 21, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

Like Obama I used to be against gay marriage but changed my thinking, although I was several years ahead of Obama. For that reason it’s tough for me to feel much animosity towards people who believe marriage should be defined as between a man and a woman, since they may just be where I was before.

Some of it is ignorance although probably not in the way progressives think it is. By getting to know my daughter’s gay friends I came to understand them better and realized there was no reason they shouldn’t marry. If I had not had that experience maybe I would think differently.

Chambliss’ comments on the other hand are just dumb.

• secularhumanizinevoluter March 22, 2013 at 5:35 am #

“Some of it is ignorance although probably not in the way progressives think it is. ”
      And how exactly do “progressives think it is” that differs?
      Ignorance is ignorance. nearly 100% of this ignorance is based in knee jerk superstition based ignorance about reality that is the result of being brainwashed as a child and having that brainwashing reinforced by superstition based blather.
      If a person has a functioning brain when they are confronted with new information that is accurate(as in getting to know ones children’s “gay” friends and seeing they are just people deserving of dignity and equal constitutional and civil rights) they will be able to put aside the nonsense and accept reality.
      Congratulations on your achieving that.

• jjamele March 22, 2013 at 9:47 am #

I kind of get what you are saying, but I also have a counterpoint: It seems to me that any person who is ignorant concerning a particular issue should have “I don’t care” as their default position. Most of the people I know don’t care about the issue of gay marriage, and therefore think people should be allowed by law to marry whoever they want.

When your position is “I don’t know about gay people, so I am against gay marriage,” you are using ignorance to reinforce bigotry. Animosity, unlike apathy, takes effort. I’d like more of these people to use their disinterest to reinforce a “live and let live” attitude rather than a “I don’t understand, so I’m against it” attitude. People who are against gay marriage are generally frightened of change in general- what they “hate” is the idea that society is becoming less and less familiar. I don’t condemn people for being afraid of change, but I do condemn them for using their votes to deprive other people of rights so that they don’t have to deal with their own discomfort.

• secularhumanizinevoluter March 22, 2013 at 10:00 am #

” I don’t condemn people for being afraid of change, but I do condemn them for using their votes to deprive other people of rights so that they don’t have to deal with their own discomfort.”
        Gold star, Brass ring AND Cueppy doll.

4. Solo March 21, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

“I’m not gay. So I’m not going to marry one.” What does that even mean?

5. Ga6thDem March 22, 2013 at 4:34 pm #

I have had Saxby as my rep and my senator and he’s been completely worthless in both positions. He is the epitome of what you would call a “useful idiot”.

• secularhumanizinevoluter March 22, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

OK, I get the idiot part….but useful?!!!!!

• angels81 March 22, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

Maybe he meant to say….Useless idiot.

• Ga6thDem March 23, 2013 at 9:09 am #

He is useful to the GOP because he will spout any and all idiocy that they tell him to.

• secularhumanizinevoluter March 23, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

At this point in history he is actually useful to justice. Every time he and his UBERChristofascist, bloated white brethren spout their homophobic venom they are accomplishing the exact same thing the misogynistic UBERChristofascist repugnantklan/teabaggers did with their imbecilic ass monkey poo spewings before the last election.
          It astonishes me, it really and honestly does that they still think they can vomit this sort of bald faced bigotry and hatred and reap anything but scorn and revulsion from it.