Queer Talk: “The Ultimate Anti-Gay Marriage Ad” – Snark and Laughs VIDEO

RainbowExclamationPointsViaWipeOutHomophobiaFB

Sometimes I need a break in the Very Serious thinking. Marriage equality is definitely of the Very Serious kind of “issue.” But there’s no reason humor can’t be one essential element in the struggle. I actually find it rather essential.

With thanks to Jeremy Hooper at Good As You, the video below is well worth 1:20 minutes of your time. As Hooper’s entire “commentary” sums it up: “Tee-hee.”

At The Ultimate Anit-Gay Marriage Ad: (emphasis added)

A couple confronts the horrific consequences of same-sex marriage.

Starring: Dixie Perkinson, David Storch, and Lainee Rhodes.

Director: Matthew Scott Hunter

Writer/Editor: Brandon Muller

Special thanks to Helen Rhodes and family.

Four plates were harmed during the making of this video.

1996 Supercross Champion: Jeremy McGrath

(Rainbow Exclamation Points Via Wipe Out Homphobia on FB)

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Queer Talk: “The Ultimate Anti-Gay Marriage Ad” – Snark and Laughs VIDEO

1. fangio March 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

It reminded me of a TV movie on ABC in the ’70′s ( I think ) with Hal Holbrook and Martin Sheen called ” That Certain Summer. ” I am still amazed that such an honest, straight forward and heart felt depiction of two gay men could have been presented on network television so long ago. It seems as if we’ve spent the last 35 years just getting back to that point.

• Joyce Arnold March 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

“It seems as if we’ve spent the last 35 years just getting back to that point.” — Unfortunately, there’s a lot of truth in that.

Progress is being made, thankfully, because a lot of people simply haven’t quit working at it.

2. newdealdem1 March 4, 2013 at 4:29 pm #

“Sometimes I need a break in the Very Serious thinking.”

Don’t we all! Seriously ;)

And, that video is a very welcomed bromide.

Child: “If gay people :allowed to get married, will you still love me.”

Dad: “Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.”

And, then the hug with the little girl’s reaction. Funny and awful at the same time.

Very appropriate satire making fun of those who would use their own seemingly precarious marriages as an excuse and ridiculous reason (lacking any reason) for being against same-sex nuptials.

With the upcoming Supreme Court cases re DOMA (this one being heard this month: http://tinyurl.com/8tnuab6), several have provided amicus briefs in support of (or not) these cases. Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi filed one as well last Friday http://tinyurl.com/cgx8v7t with this heartfelt opening ending with a witty last sentence in a way reflecting that video above:

“Portia and I have been married for 4 years and they have been the happiest of my life. And in those 4 years, I don’t think we hurt anyone else’s marriage. I asked all of my neighbors and they say they’re fine.”

You just gotta love these two women. Mad props to them and everyone else who filed amicus briefs in favor of rejecting California’s ban on gay marriage and striking down DOMA as unconstitutional.

• Joyce Arnold March 4, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

I saw the thing about Ellen and Portia — very cool. And the classic Ellen line is perfect.

More years ago than I wish to remember, I wrote a QT (at that point, in a Nashville LGBT publication) about a fictional heterosexual couple who sadly cancelled their wedding, because “the homosexuals” insistence on also being able to marry had “destroyed the sanctity of God’s plan for men and women.” The best part of that was getting an email from someone who obviously missed the irony, and asked me if I could get him in touch with the “lovely couple,” so he could pray with them.

• newdealdem1 March 4, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

“With the DOMA and Prop 8 cases being heard later this month, the ramping up of “gay marriage” ads and petitions and columns isn’t surprising, but it’s still interesting to see.” Joyce

It’s like the last gasp of the dinosaur’s before they became fossils. You almost feel sorry for them because they desperately want (their prejudices) to survive (for no good reason) but you soon relinquish any empathy because all they want to do is harm others by selfishly denying them the same rights and responsibilities they enjoy. So, as much as I like fossils, this variety can bleep off and mind their own damned business.

“The best part of that was getting an email from someone who obviously missed the irony, and asked me if I could get him in touch with the “lovely couple,” so he could pray with them.” Joyce

HA! LOL Just goes to prove, most people only see what they want to see or hear which coincides with their inner beliefs and prejudices.

3. secularhumanizinevoluter March 4, 2013 at 4:36 pm #

That was pretty funny…I like the one where the gay guys say if they won’t allow them to marry their partners then they will marry the STRAIGHT men’s girlfriends and runs through why the gays will be better husbands then the straights!!!!!

I was blown away this weekend…while driving to my Sister’s 60th Birthday party as we were exiting the NJ turnpike there was a billboard with a red background and shaky lettering that said Obama supports abortion and gay marriage…do you?! It was out up by a repugnantKLAN/UBERChristohypicrite bunch!!!! My immediate reaction was Yeah…I do? I think a better more honest billboard would have been Obama supports peoples Constitutional right to equal treatment and privacy…do you?!!!!!

• Joyce Arnold March 4, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

I like your alternative wording for the billboard, sec :)

• newdealdem1 March 4, 2013 at 5:50 pm #