Claire McCaskill Makes Me Proud to have Been Born a Missourian

Claire_McCaskill,_Official_portrait

THIS IS a profound moment for my home state of Missouri.

In most every way, Missouri is a backward state. I fled it in my 20s and have been amazed since then that the politicians haven’t been influenced by the changing times.

There is a rabidly bigoted thread that runs through this state that is joined by a misogynist and anti-women’s freedom vein, which we’ve seen displayed on television through the likes of Todd Akin, as well as others.

Today, Senator Claire McCaskill has made Missourians proud. She has also joined the 21st century and validated the civil rights of gays and lesbians, as well as the entire LGBT community.

From her Tumblr website, a statement of love and an endorsement for marriage equality.

And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. I Corinthians 13

The question of marriage equality is a great American debate. Many people, some with strong religious faith, believe that marriage can only exist between a man and a woman. Other people, many of whom also have strong religious faith, believe that our country should not limit the commitment of marriage to some, but rather all Americans, gay and straight should be allowed to fully participate in the most basic of family values.

I have come to the conclusion that our government should not limit the right to marry based on who you love. While churches should never be required to conduct marriages outside of their religious beliefs, neither should the government tell people who they have a right to marry.

My views on this subject have changed over time, but as many of my gay and lesbian friends, colleagues and staff embrace long term committed relationships, I find myself unable to look them in the eye without honestly confronting this uncomfortable inequality. Supporting marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples is simply the right thing to do for our country, a country founded on the principals of liberty and equality.

Good people disagree with me. On the other hand, my children have a hard time understanding why this is even controversial. I think history will agree with my children.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Claire McCaskill Makes Me Proud to have Been Born a Missourian

1. thoreau March 25, 2013 at 9:20 am #

i’m a regular viewer of cspan, ‘reality tv’. the senate has bout 20 women 3/4 which are dems i think. when the majority of congress is female, the people will be better served, imho.

ps any thoughts on p. murray and the 2014 budget?

2. mjsmith March 25, 2013 at 10:06 am #

Marge: “There are only 49 stars on that flag.”

Grampa: “I’ll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missoura!”

“While churches should never be required to conduct marriages outside of their religious beliefs, neither should the government tell people who they have a right to marry.”

This is really my main opposition. The government has no right whatsoever to interfere with religion.

• jinbaltimore March 25, 2013 at 10:15 am #

No one is arguing for government interference with religion, with which the right to civil marriage has nothing to do.

• spincitysd March 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

Your church won’t be forced to marry Gays, that is why God invented Unitarians.

3. Taylor Marsh March 25, 2013 at 10:24 am #

Civil rights are more important than ANY religion.

Bishop Schori has welcomed gay marriage, but doesn’t demand every Episcopal diocese to perform their marriages, though I’d never attend a church that wouldn’t welcome it. Some have separated from the church because of her stance on gays. The church is better without these people.

ps – Budget post is here.

• mjsmith March 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

“The government has no legal standing to stop anyone from marrying one another, regardless of religion. ” – what if someone wants to marry their own sibling, or their own parent? Some states you can marry your first cousin, in other states you can not. What if someone wants to marry their horse? I read somewhere that some guy married his motorcycle.

• jinbaltimore March 25, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

You have made a strong argument for disallowing individual states to decide the matter.

• mjsmith March 25, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

Who should tell churches, masques, synagogues, and various religious temples what marriage is and how it is defined?

• jinbaltimore March 25, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

Guesses you are being deliberately obtuse?

To answer your question: No one!

Please see Taylor’s and my multiple comments on civil marriage. You have posed the flimsiest of straw arguments.

• spincitysd March 26, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

I’m getting more than a bit tired of people using the excuse of their religion to cover their bigotry. Your right to swing your fists ends at my nose and the right to practice your faith ends at my faith (or lack of same.)

Your faith practiced at your church has nothing to do with the governmental institution of Marriage. Governments have other motives and rationals for supporting the institution of marriage.

As a matter of fact a good secular and utilitarian argument can be made for the institution of Marriage that leaves out any and all religious musings about the subject. And by the way, that utilitarian logic is the reason that our governments place a limit on marriages between filial partners. It ain’t about God’s commandments (The Bible actually had nice things about dads doing the dirty with their daughters, Hello Mrs and Mrs Lot) it’s about genetics.

4. Lake Lady March 25, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Taylor~

Missouri is not as bad as you paint it. I don’t disagree with what you describe but St. Louis and St. Louis county has it’s share of liberals and so does Columbia, K.C. as well. Unfortanately, as in other rural states our state house is overun with barshit crazy T party types. We have a conservative Dem governor right now who is traveling the state trying to talk people into the medicaid expansion. I just got an email from him.

Claire has been great lately. She came out against automatic weapons from the get go, she was a wonder along with Gillibrand in the rape in the mitliary hearings and now her wonderful email on love.

You know she is writng a book on her last campaign. I think she is considering a run for President. I guess we will see.

• Taylor Marsh March 26, 2013 at 9:27 am #

We disagree on Missouri, LLady, because we have different experiences. I saw the politics up close for a long time with my brother. I’ve got a good view to what it has been.

It’s getting better, as you said, as I also wrote about McCaskill. That’s a good thing.

5. JoeCHI March 25, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

McCaskill is an opportunist.

• angels81 March 25, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

McCaskill is an opportunist…. All politicians are opportunists, its the nature of the beast.

• spincitysd March 26, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

Just as Palin was and is.