Violence Against Women Act Easily Passes Senate Without Marco Rubio’s Help

szep_marcorubio

I believe we should have re-authorized the existing Violence Against Women Act that has helped reduce the annual incidence of domestic violence by more than 50 percent, among other successes. I also continue supporting the work being done at the federal, state and local levels to combat domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking… – Senator Marco Rubio

BUT, BUT, but, Senator Rubio did not vote to reauthorize the VAWA.

Go that, girls?

“It is difficult to understand why people would come in here and try to limit which victims could be helped by this legislation,” Leahy said. “If you’re the victim, you don’t want to think that a lot of us who have never faced this kind of problem, sat here in this body and said, ‘Well, we have to differentiate which victims America will protect.’” [Huffington Post]

And this guy wants to be president?

That’s funny.

via Think Progress

via Think Progress

, , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Violence Against Women Act Easily Passes Senate Without Marco Rubio’s Help

1. Jane Austen February 12, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

I hope that all the women who are thinking of voting Republican will take a second look at these barbarians and remember that their health, safety and welfare weren’t worth protecting. I’m so angry I could puke to think that in this day and age men could actually degrade women by thinking they shouldn’t have to be protected from the violence that so often is part of their lives. These same animals want to protect their guns.

• angels81 February 12, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Bravo Jane, Couldn’t have said it better then you just did.

2. Cujo359 February 12, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

Of perhaps more immediate concern is that the House has shown no sign of being willing to pass the act. If the numbers are similar to those in the Senate, then VAWA reauthorization would pass in the House, too. I don’t know what the holdup is, but Republicans are in charge of the House.

Remember those who didn’t vote correctly in the Senate, but the House is the problem at the moment.

3. Jane Austen February 12, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

Let’s see who in the House is going to continue with their ignorant philosophy (if you can call it that).

4. secularhumanizinevoluter February 12, 2013 at 6:30 pm #

” I don’t know what the holdup is, but Republicans are in charge of the House.”

Are you serious? You follow your question with the sore thumb answer! But remember…there is NO difference between the repugs and the Dems!

• Cujo359 February 13, 2013 at 4:16 am #

When I say I don’t know something, that means I don’t know. Unlike you, I don’t confuse my prejudices with knowledge.

I suspect that the GOP’s leaders in the House don’t want to piss off their base. This is one important difference between the Democrats and Republicans, but it isn’t a policy difference. They are afraid of their base, because if they don’t do what it wants, they will lose its support. The Democrats have no such worry. That’s why politics continue to drift in the direction of the Republicans’ base, and why there are so few important differences between the two parties. That’s why I suspected the House wasn’t interested in passing the Senate bill.

Unfortunately, all I’d remembered was that the House wasn’t considering the bill in the form the Senate passed it, not why.

BTW, via TPM, here’s what I didn’t know about the situation last time I wrote a comment in this thread:

start quote:

Republican leaders are again facing pressure from within their ranks to act. A letter sent Monday night and signed by 17 House GOP lawmakers nudges Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) in the Senate’s direction, twice calling for a bipartisan bill. The House GOP’s version last year passed on a party-line vote.

“Now is the time to seek bipartisan compromise on the reauthorization of these programs. … We believe a bipartisan plan to reauthorize VAWA is more important than ever,” wrote Republican Reps. Rodney Davis (IL), Charlie Dent (PA), Rodney Frelinghuysen (NJ), Mike Fitzpatrick (PA), Jim Gerlach (PA), Chris Gibson (NY), Michael Grimm (NY), Richard Hanna (NY), David Joyce (OH), Leonard Lance (NJ), Frank LoBiondo (NJ), Patrick Meehan (PA), Shelly Moore-Capito (WV), Tom Reed (NY), Dave Reichert (WA), Jon Runyan (NJ) and Lee Terry (NE).

Although House Republicans dislike provisions covering LGBT and illegal-immigrant victims, their primary area of discomfort with the Senate bill is the tribal lands provision. Senior House GOP aides declined to comment, but top Republicans, led by Cantor, are leaning toward a middle path that provides legal recourse for those charged with domestic abuse in Native American courts by allowing them to appeal to U.S. courts.

end quote

So, yes, it turns out my suspicions were true, the Republican leadership of the House is the problem.

• secularhumanizinevoluter February 13, 2013 at 9:58 am #

You’re right…when it walks like a Duck, and quacks like a Duck and waddles like a Duck I jump to conclusions and say IT’S A DUCK instead of I don’t know why anyone would call it a Duck.

• Cujo359 February 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

Thinking like yours inspired this. Folks who want to see a duck will see a duck, even when what they’re looking at is a seagull.

5. newdealdem1 February 12, 2013 at 8:09 pm #

What you said, Taylor. I’m still LOL over that TIME article anointing Rubio as the “Savior of the GOP”. Oh, really? He’s not even the “savior” of his own political career. What a joke.

Well said, Lake Lady. You speak for me.

Except for Barrasso and Scott (who wasn’t in the 112trh Congress), 20 in that gallery of FATHERLANDERS up above were part of the disgraceful Senators who voted NO to that Dec 4th vote in the Senate which failed to ratify an international treaty intended to protect the rights of those with disabilities. Goes hand in hand with their graceless NO vote for VAWA and not even Bob Dole’s presence in a wheel chair who made the trip to support it’s passage couldn’t sway these same 20 who voted NO to that bill as well. And, some of them had been his “friends” during his tenure as Senate Majority Leader. These men are not qualified or have the temperament to lead anything or anyone. They have no conscience these men. They don’t deserve to be in the Senate and certainly those who were Dole’s friends didn’t deserve to be in the same room with him. And, I don’t wish them well.

Good to see all 20 women voted YES including Fischer, Tea Party member who from what I understood was having issues with the bill because of the additions to include native women, undocumented immigrants, and gay women. She obviously changed her mind. And, it’s my contention that she was swayed by the other women Senator’s most likely Susan Collins but she did change her mind.

• secularhumanizinevoluter February 13, 2013 at 10:02 am #

“One thing that the women in the Senate have established with one another is that they all go out to dinner every month to socialize and to discuss issues. They’ve been doing this for many years. They have reached across the aisle unlike (for the most part), the men. When you break bread with someone on a regular basis, it’s not so easy to refuse to work with each other when it’s necessary to get things done to move this country forward. Imo, it makes a difference as it did in the “good old days” of the Senate as recent as the 1980′s before the rise of the authoritarian FATHERLAND men.”

True enough. I also have to think them all being women has something to do with it also…women have to make so many decisions and weigh so many factors in day to day life juggling career and family they are much better at it then most men. Then through in the kind of neanderthal that repug/baggers vote for these days and yes…the women will come out looking better every time…even the repug women.

6. newdealdem1 February 12, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

correction. I had a senior moment. My comment was directed to Jane Austen not Lake Lady. Long day. My apologies, Jane. Although, Lake Lady can speak for me as well.

So, well said, Jane Austen. You speak for me.