Call Him Mr. Secretary

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel

THE REPUBLICANS did their worst, but Vietnam war hero Chuck Hagel was confirmed today as President Obama’s Secretary of Defense.

A simple majority won the day, 58-41. So, it’s finally over.

The biggest loser is Jennifer Rubin, who disgraced herself and the Washington Post with her diatribes and rantings.

Senator Ted Cruz was revealed for the petty McCarthyite swiftboater that hasn’t been allowed in the Senate since 1954.

It’s a big day when the Pentagon and U.S. military get a bonafide Vietnam generation boss. Secretary Hagel will start tomorrow.

, , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to Call Him Mr. Secretary

1. secularhumanizinevoluter February 26, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

I’ve had my problems with secretary hagel fer sure…but it sure is sweet watching President Obama and the Dems school the repug/baggers on how it’s done.

2. Taylor Marsh February 26, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Chuck Hagel is anything but a perfect nominee, no argument from me.

What Republicans did, however, was shameful, plus it sidetracked the hearings and kept important subjects from being discussed. All because Hagel bashed Bush! That alone, made me willing to hold my nose, because I remember all too well how few were as tough on Bush as Hagel.

Congress is a pit of vipers. In the old days at least we had classy villains. Now we’re stuck with bottom feeders like Ted Cruz.

3. Solo February 26, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Congrats Sgt. Hagel!!!

4. angels81 February 26, 2013 at 9:58 pm #

As a Vietnam Vet I must say I’m proud to see one of our own running the dept of defense. A grunt who has made to the top is a good thing for this country. It is good to see someone who has been on the ground level of war now sitting at the top of the heap.

• Taylor Marsh February 27, 2013 at 9:09 am #

That is the exact reaction from everyone around here, with an enlisted man finally in charge of the building where grunts don’t count for much.

• Cujo359 February 27, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

It’s an unusual thing, that’s for sure. Gen’s Vessey and Shalikashivili (sp?) both started as enlisted, but they spent most of their careers as officers before becoming Chairman of The Joint Chiefs. Hagel’s military experience was entirely as an enlisted man, so that’s the perspective he’s likely to remember as SecDef.

5. Cujo359 February 27, 2013 at 3:34 am #

How did they finally get cloture?

Anyway, they finally got the nomination through. On to the sideshow.

6. Taylor Marsh February 27, 2013 at 9:10 am #

Sen. Rand Paul said it best: “The president gets to choose his political appointees.”

Yes, he actually voted for Hagel.

Elections have consequences.

• Cujo359 February 27, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

Coming so soon, I have to wonder if it had anything to do with Sen. McCain’s admission that the filibuster had something to do with GOP Senators’ recriminations about Hagel’s stand on Iraq and the Surge back in 2006. Holding a grudge that long isn’t a good thing, particularly when roughly as many Republican voters agreed with Hagel as didn’t.

The last thing the GOP should be doing right now is honking off more of its moderate supporters, if there are any left.

Of course, I have no idea what else is going on in the Senate, but the timing leads me to wonder. And of course, it would be irresponsible not to speculate.