Shame on Bill Clinton

“Do not patronize the passionate supporters of your opponents by looking down your nose at them,” Clinton said. “A lot of these people live in a world very different from the world lived in by the people proposing these things,” Clinton said. “I know because I come from this world.” – Bill Clinton to Democrats: Don’t trivialize gun culture

via Red State

IT HARDLY matters, but I seriously doubt Bill Clinton knows squat about guns. I understand the culture he’s talking about, because I live amidst it too, especially considering to whom I’m married. It also doesn’t matter that Mr. Clinton likely doesn’t own a gun or know how to shoot one either. What does matter, however, is his clear opportunism in using this moment to provide right wingers with a perfect sound bite that begins “Even Bill Clinton says…” Clinton’s main goal is to provide cover for conservative Democrats in NRA areas. Just maybe he’s also thinking about Hillary in 2016.

The rifle shown here that Virginia Democrat Delegate Joe Morissey is holding [h/t RedState], with his finger stupidly on the trigger, is a Brady Bill approved AK-47 in all respects, because it doesn’t have a pistol grip. To be blunt, a person could still shoot and kill as many people with a Brady Bill approved weapon.

Banning assault weapons is not what people think it is. First, you can’t ban assault weapons, because even the Brady Bill approved AK-47 style weapon above can be outfitted with a 30-round magazine even in the face of a ban. That’s because there are so many of the high-capacity magazines around that anyone is able to get them. The way the weapon looks is all you’re changing. Additionally, the importing of assault rifles from other countries is not banned.

The restrictions is on how the gun looks, the cosmetics, not the weapon itself and what it actually does.

As a gun owning family, I don’t need Mr. Clinton or any other Democrat, certainly not one brandishing an AK-47, using this moment to scold people like myself who are demanding universal background checks, as well as serious consideration on banning high-capacity clips, not to mention putting the spine back in the ATF and gun laws.

Former President Bill Clinton is insulting those of us who own guns and also know the flagrant manner in which the NRA is torturing gun laws and the Second Amendment. The former president is posturing in a manner meant to deliver a Sister Souljah moment to his own, which only comes off as tone deaf to people who know anything about the gun issue.

President Obama and his administration are doing exactly what is required, with V.P. Joe Biden’s leadership pitch perfect, with no Democrat making light of people who are part of the gun culture of this country, my family included. We wouldn’t support them if they were.

Shame on Bill Clinton.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to Shame on Bill Clinton

1. Ramsgate January 20, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

Pitch Perfect.

2. Cujo359 January 20, 2013 at 5:08 pm #

“The rifle shown here that Virginia Democrat Delegate Joe Morissey is holding [h/t RedState], with his finger stupidly on the trigger, is a Brady Bill approved AK-47 in all respects, because it doesn’t have a pistol grip.”

How is that not a pistol grip? If that’s true, then a slight change of the definition will fix that problem. That gun has a grip that can be held just like a pistol – with fingers aligned in the general direction of the barrel, as opposed to a rifle stock, where the fingers are oriented more or less downward.

I love the typical conversation with gun advocates, which generally starts with them saying “You don’t know what you’re talking about”, and then lapses into nonsense.

“The former president is posturing in a manner meant to deliver a Sister Souljah moment to his own”

The Sister Souljah was fake outrage over a straw man. Why should this be any different?

3. tonyb39 January 20, 2013 at 8:09 pm #

Hi Taylor, all,
    When i read the quotes from President Clinton i thought the same thing, shameful!
    I love President Clinton but detest this! I will def vote for Hillary if she runs but this type of flagrant miss use of the gun control issue can’t be tolerated… Thank you so much for calling the former President out..

4. DaGoat January 20, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

I agree with Bill Clinton on this although with some reservations. He is correct that different areas of the country have much different perspectives on guns, and Democrats would do well to realize and respect that. Instead of making the case that Democrats should not patronize gun owners because it’s the right thing to do, he uses it to argue that it might cost Democrats seats. He may be right but that aspect makes his comments appear politically driven.

Where I disagree with Taylor is her assertion that no one on the Democratic side is looking down their nose at gun owners. The Democratic politicians have been pretty careful but in the rank-and-file there have been all kinds of condescending and insulting remarks, including on this website.

I’m not sure I completely follow the reasoning on the comments about assault weapons. If I understand correctly her point is that since the gun control measures are weak and ineffective it’s tough to criticize the Democrats as being harsh or going overboard.

That misses the more interesting point which is that most of the gun control measures are weak and ineffective. The assault weapons ban mainly just makes the guns look less scary while allowing the “hunting” rifles to retain all of the functions of the “assault” rifles. Most of Obama’s 23 actions either depend on Congress or will have minimal effect. Even the high-capacity magazine restrictions can be easily circumvented. Most of this stuff just allows us to pretend we’re doing something.

The crux of gun control as it relates to Newtown is really the availability of semi-automatic weapons. The recent New York laws touch on that but on a federal level there will be no significant changes. And of course that ignores handguns, which are a much bigger problem.

5. james richardson January 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

Actually I had been thinking the same thing. It’s important to differenciate between legal and responsible gun owners and the others. Talking using broad strokes often end badly b/c it gives the foes freedom to frame the debate. I don’t think this was about Hillary.

6. fangio January 21, 2013 at 12:56 am #

It’s very simple; when the rich start getting shot , that’s when you’ll start seeing tough gun laws.

• secularhumanizinevoluter January 21, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

GAWD(what ain’t even THERE) DANGED!!!! I agree with you 1000%!!!

7. TPAZ January 21, 2013 at 4:00 am #

“The biggest reason why Clinton’s comments are not only patronizing, but condescending, is that they’re also a straw man argument, because no one on the Democratic side is “looking down their nose” at gun owners and I bet Bill Clinton knows this. His opportunistic scolding is for purely political gain, which takes the attention away from where it needs to be and where the majority of Americans want it.”

“I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here.”

When will we begin to address the idolatry of guns and violence, by individuals and our government, in our culture and ethics. If only a man like Martin Luther King, Jr. were alive today with the moral courage to show outrage against America’s mindless decent into barbarism and perpetual sport waring.

8. newdealdem1 January 21, 2013 at 9:57 am #

As much as I like the guy, I sometimes wish he would just shut up. Frankly, if Hillary Clinton runs in ’16 and I hope to heaven she does, it’s my wish that Bill Clinton keep a low profile this time. I’m tired of his constant need for attention and to remain relevant. I also don’t see his comment as having anything to do with Hilliary Clinton’s run, that is, if she runs in ’16: 4 years is a lifetime in politics and people have short memory’s.