Miss America Gets Attacked for Comments on Gun Safety and Violence

On Saturday’s pageant broadcast, Mallory Hagan (Miss New York) was asked for her opinion on posting armed guards outside of schools in the aftermath of the Newtown school shooting, a proposal promoted by the NRA. In response, Hagan said, “The answer is not to fight violence with violence.” – CONSERVATIVES DECLARE WAR ON NEW MISS AMERICA MALLORY HAGAN OVER GUN COMMENTS

Miss America, Mallory Hagan

BACK WHEN I was in the Miss America Pageant, which was a very long time ago, state pageant queens were discouraged from political comments or answers to questions. The Pageant has come a long way.

In a closed door interview I, in fact, was asked about busing in Missouri to see how I’d react, because it was the 1970s, a very political time for women. But this was when interviews were conducted off camera.

Good for Miss New York, who became Miss America this weekend, for standing up against the insanity and stating the truth about gun safety. She’s taking a lot of heat from right-wingers, but she’s absolutely correct and I’m proud of her.

The right is going berserk, with Newsbusters blaring the headline that Miss America “Espouses Liberal Conventional Wisdom on Guns.”

Mallory Hagan happens to represent the majority of the American public, while the N.R.A. and conservative gun crazy community are a minority.

Hagan: I don’t think the proper way to fight violence is with violence. I think the proper way is to educate people on guns and the ways that we can use them properly. We can lock them up, we can have gun safety classes, we can have a longer waiting period. The answer is not to fight violence with violence, however.

, , , , ,

10 Responses to Miss America Gets Attacked for Comments on Gun Safety and Violence

1. Jane Austen January 14, 2013 at 12:03 am #

Her answer was such a sane rational intelligent answer that I’m not surprised that it sent the wingnuts off the deep end. I’m proud of her answer and I’m proud of the majority of the American people who want sane control of guns.

2. ladywalker68 January 14, 2013 at 12:16 am #

The right-wing-gun-freak-nuts are not interested in sanity. Nor do they believe in the 1st Amendment. They only care about their power trips with their guns. They are all going insane, and quite frankly, they all scare me.

Bravo for Miss America’s courage. She gets it–what being an American really means.

• secularhumanizinevoluter January 14, 2013 at 5:34 am #

I AM SHOCKED!!!!! How can you call names and use confrontational rhetoric!!! Don’t you know…as has been pointed out to me by the concern trol….OOOPS wiser posters here you will just antagonize them and that you are defeating rational discussion of gun control…or as they say that Lying African, Socialistic Muslim, Communists Dictatorial, UNConstitutional attempt to enforce New World Order policy over American law to disarm the American patriots?!!

• Taylor Marsh January 14, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Well, you continue to complain by inference that I’ve asked and you’ve agreed to offer more civil discourse around here, but at least you couldn’t invoke your perpetual fallback position of racism whenever guns are the topic of discussion.

I so appreciate your readership, as well as your participation on this site, secularh, and you’ve more than made your point.

• secularhumanizinevoluter January 14, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

My complaint is in NO way directed at you Ms. marsh….I lovez ya….ya KNOWZ I doz!!!
          As for racism and guns….I don’t know if you read my comment on the other thread after I got back from an antique gun show in Newark del. At the Aetna Fire hall…..it is IMPOSSIBLE to discuss the rightwing psychotic reaction whenever gun control is raised without confronting the reality that the most rabid voices screaming on the right ARE out right racists. Simple fact…anybody go to ANY gun show and see if I’m wrong…just walk around with your ears open.

3. fangio January 14, 2013 at 12:30 am #

Their real problem with her is that she’s a woman. Not only a woman, but a woman who is not playing her part; the part of a brain dead slut who shouldn’t be doing anything but showing off her tits and ass and keeping her big stupid mouth shut.

4. DaGoat January 14, 2013 at 7:49 am #

I’ll have to be the odd man out here. Her comments on gun control and education are fine, but the rest reflects the stereotypical shallowness the pageant has been trying to escape. In the case of a school shooting if someone is in a position to stop the killing then violence is called for. A guard with a gun is not inherently violent. While I don’t agree with LaPierre in placing armed guards at all schools, many schools already have armed guards and to my knowledge they have not encouraged violence.

• angels81 January 14, 2013 at 10:54 am #

They also have not stopped the violence. Armed guards at Columbine, Armed police at Virgina Tech and a lot of armed people at Fort Hood.

5. secularhumanizinevoluter January 14, 2013 at 11:52 am #

Now, now….citing tired old facts and statistics that everyone knows unfairly place the conSERvatives at a disadvantage is going to antagonize the gun lobby and calm rational gun hording and assault rifle stock piling citizens…that will not produce the reasonable, civil discussion this calls for.

• angels81 January 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm #