Obama, Pelosi Deserve to Lose on End of Year Grand Bargain Scheme

Hopes of a grand-bargain – to shave trillions of dollars off the deficit by cutting entitlement programs and raising revenue – are shattered. – Fiscal cliff deal increasingly unlikely

NOBODY SHOULD think this is the end of the maneuvering by President Obama and Democrats to “reform” entitlements. But at least for now, here’s to the shattered hopes of the Democratic Party establishment who thought cramming down an entitlement deal was a good idea.

As for the swirling headlines that there will be no fiscal scheme deal, I’ll believe that when the sequester cuts start rolling.

, , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Obama, Pelosi Deserve to Lose on End of Year Grand Bargain Scheme

1. ladywalker68 December 27, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Begin quote
    “However, if President Obama and Congress can’t make a deal it will be because the ideas they’re putting on the table stink, starting with the Democratic Party notion that Social Security should be bargained to get the losers of the November election to deal on raises taxes.”
    End quote

I totally agree, Taylor. Obama and the Democrats are turning the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory into an art form.

2. Jane Austen December 27, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

But what the hell is in it for Obama? He won the election. Why is he trying to dismantle the party of FDR? I still don’t get it.

• ladywalker68 December 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Me neither.

I guess it must have something to do with his “legacy”. Imagine going into the history books as the President responsible for scuttling F.D.R.’s New Deal. Perhaps there are many who view this as some sort of positive. I am not one of them…

• Jane Austen December 27, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

Begin quote

I guess it must have something to do with his “legacy”.

End quote

Scuttling the Party of FDR and dismantling social security is a legacy? Maybe for the GOP but for Obama and the Democrats it’s total betrayal of the people. And I don’t mean just progressives. What he has done is destroy what the Democratic Party once meant – some power for the people. I didn’t vote for him this time around because I didn’t trust him. And as for Nancy Pelosi, she has just committed the grand betrayal. She should be ashamed of herself.

• DocP December 27, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

Jane Austen –

Obama will make Mr. Peterson happy. Your cognitive dissonance will be resolved when you stop thinking of Obama as a Democrat. He is not.

• Jane Austen December 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

DocP – I keep forgetting that Obama is not a Democrat. :)> I have said that myself but somehow I keep hoping he’s going to start acting like one. Oh well, maybe next time we choose a candidate to run we’ll pay more attention to what he is saying. I guess I got my first indication of what Obama was all about when he started to channel Ronald Reagan and not FDR or any of the other Democrats like JFK or LBJ.

• Cujo359 December 27, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

If you assume that what Obama is doing now is what he believes he should be doing, then this makes sense. He’s been saying since the late 2000s that he thinks Social Security needs to be “reformed”, meaning “cut”. He’s part of the Chicago School, and he always has been. Obama’s behavior is no mystery. Progressives’ continuing support for him is the mystery.

• think08 December 29, 2012 at 2:06 am #

Exactly. Remember the Cat food Commission stacked as la Obama style wypith deficit hawks? Obama believes this will be good for his rep with the ruling class? Yet this goes unnoticed by the lemmings that voted for him. As usual he’s not capitulating – he’s doing exactly what he wants.

• TPAZ December 27, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

President Obama is a Republican by liberal and even Democratic Party definitions. Just lay back and enjoy it; you asked for it by voting for him.

• think08 December 29, 2012 at 1:51 am #

Absolutely. The worst Fake Democratic President ever.