Hillary Clinton and 2016, the Waiting Begins [Video]

“Nobody interacts with Hillary Clinton like she’s fading off into the sunset.”Philippe Reines, Clinton’s State Department spokesman

DO YOU care what’s being said about Secretary Clinton and 2016? I wonder how many people want to read analysis and the obligatory compulsory coverage about the never ending speculation of what can’t possibly known today. By the looks of the media coverage as Secretary Clinton prepares to leave her spot at State, it’s obvious that it’s the one subject that has political writers across the spectrum, myself included, fixated, as Jody Kantor’s recent piece and today’s swarm after last night’s interview prove.

Barbara Walters mined the minutia on Wednesday night.

“I’ve said I really don’t believe that that’s something I will do again,” she said. “I am so grateful I had the experience of doing it before.”

When pressed, however, the secretary does admit that if she did choose to run she would not be concerned about her age. Recently having turned 65, Clinton would be 77 years old if she were to be in office for two terms.

“I am, thankfully, knock on wood, not only healthy, but have incredible stamina and energy,” she said. “I just want to see what else is out there. I’ve been doing, you know, this, this incredibly important and, and satisfying work here in Washington, as I say, for twenty years, I want to get out and spend some time looking at what else I can do to contribute.”

Before I dig deeper into her latest statement, Clinton also finally addressed the ongoing gossip about her hair. A topic of fascination that percolated underneath the radar since she began globetrotting for President Obama.

It’s longer than it has been previously, and that, says Clinton, is by design. “I do not travel with any hairdresser, or anybody, to help me do that, and I’m not very competent myself. I’ve been admitting that for years, which should be obvious to everyone,” Clinton joked. “And so it became simpler to just grow it so that I can pull it back, and I can stick rollers in,” said Clinton calling the conversation “girl talk” between her and Walters.

Rather than being annoyed by all the talk about her hair and appearance Clinton said she finds it amusing.

“It’s fascinating to me how people are so curious about it. Because after a while, it just got to be really burdensome to try to find a hairdresser in some city, somewhere, oftentimes not being able to speak English, that at least I could communicate with,” she told Walters. “So, I said enough, we’re just going to try to go with as simple as possible.”

As you’ll note in the video below of Clinton with Walters, she did have her hair done for the occasion and she looks spectacular.

No one has covered or written more intensively about Hillary Rodham Clinton than I have over the last 5 years. So, for those of you looking for a small opening, a crack, a sliver of hope on 2016, the Walters’ interview provides the first glimpse into what many think, are hoping and praying, is inevitable.

“I’ve said I really don’t believe that that’s something I will do again.” – Secretary Hillary Clinton on a possible presidential run in 2016

“Really don’t believe” is nothing close to what she’s said previously. From “Well not me, but it will be someone,” to “Oh, yes, yes,” she’s ruled out a run in 2016, it all may not be worth parsing, but since everyone thinks it’s important to do and the public is hungry for it, and because I wrote the book on Clinton’s first run for the presidency, let me give you some expert insight.

Mrs. Clinton has obviously asked the age question of herself and has answered it in public now. She’s also gone from negative declarations and the Wolf Blitzer “no” pronouncement that I cover in my book along with all the rest, to “I really don’t believe,” which the national media pounced on like a cat on a mouse.

The thought and the closing days of being relieved of her State Department responsibilities has already hinted at a lightened mental load on the subject.

Right now she doesn’t have a clue what she’ll do and is looking most forward to having her own life back. As Philippe Reines also warned recently, “Be very wary of those pretending to bear actual knowledge.” That’s because right now not even Hillary Rodham Clinton can say for sure herself.

So, guess what. If you’re like me and want Hillary Rodham Clinton to run in 2016, but unlike me aren’t aware that waiting is part of this process as Clinton recoups her vital energy, it’s going to be a tough time. But take heart! If I was a betting person, assuming Hillary stays healthy and so does Bill, with Chelsea happy too, two years from now we’ll be on the cusp of what I believe will be the launch of the campaign of campaigns to elect America’s first female president.

I’ve written before that I don’t believe American women can afford to take Hillary Rodham Clinton’s previous “no” for an answer.

Besides, Mrs. Clinton is a public servant for life and she simply will not be able to ignore cries of Democratic and independent women, as well as feminist men, to step up and take hold of her opportunity; what many are convinced is her destiny. It will be irresistible for her, but more importantly, it will be her patriotic duty to do it and once she clears her head, gets some sleep and has some fun, I bet she’ll know that, too.

“Running for the presidency is like sex. You don’t do it once and forget about it.” – James Carville [The Hillary Effect p. 274]

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to Hillary Clinton and 2016, the Waiting Begins [Video]

1. jinbaltimore December 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

I hope she doesn’t run. Not too keen on seeing all of that sexism from the fauxgressives here and elsewhere return.

• Taylor Marsh December 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

That’s the worst reason I’ve heard yet.

• jinbaltimore December 13, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

really? Cause I remember many more that were worse from 2007/2008.

“She should never have stayed with Bill.”
        “She thinks she deserves it.”
        “She’s too polarizing.”
        “We’d have to give Florida and Michigan voters as much weight as other states”

There are plenty!

• Ga6thDem December 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Actually I hope they do pull that garbage and i’ll be the first ones to remind them that they are the ones that stuck us with Obama.

2. Cujo359 December 13, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

“DO YOU care what’s being said about Secretary Clinton and 2016?”

No, not really. Partly, that’s due to the reasons you mention – no one knows anything as long as the subject of that discussion knows nothing of her intentions.

Mainly, though, it’s because to me she’s more of the same. Her politics are near enough to Barack Obama’s and Bill Clinton’s that I know little will get better in America, and a lot has to if we are not going to continue our slide toward becoming a third world autocracy.

• Taylor Marsh December 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Appreciate your perspective and understand there are real policy and political issues at work for many people.

3. Taylor Marsh December 13, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

My stance on Hillary Rodham Clinton’s politics, which is different than Bill’s as I wrote about in my book and beyond, and on which we have differences, is that to get the first female president I have no intention of holding her to a different standard than the males who have come before.

It’s my belief that she can win the nomination and be elected, but more importantly, is the most qualified of any person who is likely to run in 2016. Getting a female president is critical and I believe she’s a natural fit for the job where her resume is concerned.

Men have run and won and few began with her vast amount of expertise. Again, Clinton and I have differences, but I’ve voted for men with whom my disagreements were far greater and my respect for them was far less.

• Cujo359 December 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

I have no doubt that Hillary Clinton is as qualified as anyone likely to run for the office, and more qualified than most.

But here’s the rub – you’ve seen what Joyce, T-Steel, and I, among others, have written about President Obama. How much of that would we be writing about President Hillary Clinton, had she won? I’m betting quite a bit of it. Maybe less in the area of human rights, but I had hopes that President Constitutional Scholar would be more familiar with that document than he turned out to be in practice. Would she have let the bankers run wild, left the poor and middle class to swing in the wind while she took care of the “finances”? Probably. She takes money from the same sources he does. Given what’s happened to Obama when it came to political consequences for abetting all that, it’s pretty clear she would have no external motivation to do otherwise. If I can figure out that she wouldn’t suffer political fallout from not prosecuting bankers, so can she. And, as you’ve observed, she doesn’t often see a war she doesn’t like.

Whatever she wanted to get done, I suspect she could get it done as well as anyone. The problem is what she would want to get done. That’s harder to guess, but based on past performance, I don’t see much different from what Obama is trying to get done.

What, if anything, leads you to think otherwise?

• Ga6thDem December 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

The reason I liked Hillary back in ’08 is because she seemed to actually understand the working class and their struggles unlike Obama. I think on the economy she would have been 1000x better than Obama has been but considering Obama’s record, well, I guess you could say that’s not saying much. Timothy Geirther would not have been an adviser to Hillary I am quite sure and less Univ of Chicago economists for sure. I doubt foreign policy would be much different than it is now so you would definitely have a legitimate beef there.

• Taylor Marsh December 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

We have never elected a female president. We’re not going to do it outside the establishment duopoly, at least not yet and I’m not prepared to wait, unless Clinton chooses not to run.

Again, I have no intention of holding Mrs. Clinton to a different standard than the males who have come before and for whom I’ve voted, some by holding my nose!

Clinton isn’t Obama, but she is an establishment politician, which ANY WOMAN WHO HAS A CHANCE AT WINNING the PRESIDENCY would have to be.

That doesn’t mean I don’t see the sacrifices. I have been very critical of Clinton on Libya, Egypt, back during Iran. Accepting our differences, I think her presidency would be important, historic and earth shattering for women around the globe, which could elevate the prospects of peace exponentially.

For me, electing a Democratic female president trumps all other considerations.

• lynnette December 15, 2012 at 8:52 am #

I agree with you, Taylor. I hope she runs and wins but we’ll see. The future is hard to predict. I would love to see my 84 year old mother get the chance to vote for our first female president in 4 years, God willing.

• Taylor Marsh December 15, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Nothing I write is a prediction, that’s for sure.

4. Ga6thDem December 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

My two cents are that she is going to survey the landscape before running. It’s not going to be a piece of cake running after Obama for any Dem voters are unlikely to give a party more than 8 years in office. That being said the tea party seems not very chastised by causing the failure for the GOP to regain the senate in the last two elections and the fact that despite Obama’s much less than stellar record, they were actually able to help him win reelection by their choice of candidates. So I imagine if it looks like the GOP is going to go full on tea party she might run because she would have a very good shot.

• Taylor Marsh December 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Thanks so much for weighing in. I love hearing your thoughts.

Clinton should be compelled to run, providing her family is healthy and solid by the time of her decision. Senator Gillibrand says she’ll ask her and I doubt she’ll be the only one.

We need her, the world needs her even more.

5. Jane Austen December 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

I have to put in my two cents for what it’s worth. If Hillary were to run for POTUS it wouldn’t be on Obama’s agenda (or lack of one). She works for the Obama administration at this point so she’s following this administration’s policies. I don’t see Hillary coming up with the same type of platform if she were to run. Once she’s out of the Obama administration she can take time to formulate her own ideas without worrying about Obama. I have some problems with a Hillary presidency, but not as many as I had with Obama. She can be independent and may actually take the Democratic party back to its roots. She’s always been more of an FDR Democrat and still has roots in that ideology. These are my thoughts and it doesn’t mean that I will support her or not support her if she chooses to run. I would love to see a woman elected POTUS and I think the time has come that this country gets serious about electing a woman.

• Taylor Marsh December 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Absolutely correct and it wouldn’t be on her husband’s agenda either.

• Cujo359 December 13, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

“If Hillary were to run for POTUS it wouldn’t be on Obama’s agenda” – JA

“it wouldn’t be on her husband’s agenda either.” – TM

Anyone who thinks that’s my basis for assuming Hillary Clinton is close to either politically is almost completely mistaken, and profoundly so. With the exceptions I’ll mention, I take her positions from her statements and actions during the 2008 campaign, and from those actions I’m aware of when she was a Senator. I may not know everything I should know about those things, but that’s where it comes from.

The two exceptions are these. First, on foreign policy, it’s clear that her ideas and Obama’s are congruent, if not necessarily the same. Second, on the question of human rights, Clinton did not see a reason to resign from her post when it became clear that Obama would continue the abuses of the Bush Administration. If she didn’t believe in human rights that much, why would I expect that she would forswear those same abuses were she President? She now must realize she wouldn’t play a political price for such actions, so it really would come down to a matter of conscience. Would she give up the opportunity to get rid of some troublesome individuals, who in some cases and on some level richly deserved their fate? I don’t see any reason to think she would.

I know I’m not wrong about the first exception, because it agrees with what she’s said and done before 2009 on foreign policy. On the other question, I’d love to be wrong. Unless someone could point out something that was important to her that she gave up on a matter of policy principle, though, I don’t doubt my conclusion all that much there, either.

Ga6thDem has made an interesting point on economic policy, though I’m not sure how much it would mean in practice. Beyond that, though, not seeing any reason to be excited yet. She still looks like a lesser evil, at best.

• Taylor Marsh December 15, 2012 at 9:52 am #

What you personally feel or think is immaterial to the larger goal and comments I specifically made above.

But to address your comments specifically, many will agree with you and those who do should continue to pursue other avenues. I respect and understand all sentiments who believe the duopoly must be taken down.

Again, nothing is more important to me than electing the first Democratic female president. Hillary Rodham Clinton is my tribe’s best hope in that happening. Nothing else matters to this effort and I continue to be convinced Clinton should be asked and compelled to run in 2016 if that’s possible.

If she chooses otherwise, that’s completely understandable.

• Cujo359 December 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

When I wrote this:

“Unless someone could point out something that was important to her that she gave up on a matter of policy principle, though, I don’t doubt my conclusion all that much there, either.”

I was figuring that if anyone could come up with such an example, it would be you. Looks like there isn’t one.

As for this statement of yours:

“I respect and understand all sentiments who believe the duopoly must be taken down.”

To me, that’s not a goal – it’s a means. My goal is to stop this country’s slide into an autocratic Third World nation that spends its declining years making war with any country it figures it can pick a fight with. What you just told me is what I’ve suspected – Hillary Clinton isn’t going to even attempt that. Nothing less than being willing to sacrifice one’s own political future is required for that.

My concern is about who we elect to office and what they do. The reason I say vote outside the lines is that the two major parties aren’t offering candidates who will do what we need done. It doesn’t matter whether there are two parties or a thousand, really, as long as that’s true. My goal is only going to happen when that’s what people vote for.

And from that perspective, it doesn’t matter whether the Democrats offer another tall, white, heterosexual Christian man or an atheistic asian lesbian midget. If they aren’t going to at least try to get us going in a direction we need to be, they’re both equally useless.

6. secularhumanizinevoluter December 13, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

If she runs she has my vote.

7. Pilgrim December 13, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

She’s very smart. She has compassion for the less fortunate. She cares deeply about women’s issues and does not apologize for that. She has broad experience. She is universally respected…she may be loved, but respect is more important and should come first.

She is a stateswoman. One often hears of a recycled politician evolving to statesmanship. She might be one to do it the other way around.

I hope she runs.