Gallup: Obesity Seen as Biggest Health Issue in America

OBESITY NOW tops cancer as the biggest health issue in this country.

Americans’ increasing concerns about obesity mirror the rising rates of obesity in the United States. The percentage of adults who are obese doubled from 1980 to 2008, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And Gallup and Healthways find obesity remains high as of the third quarter of 2012, at 26.1%.

Access and cost to health care remain the top two concerns even after Obamacare.

, , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Gallup: Obesity Seen as Biggest Health Issue in America

1. mjsmith December 17, 2012 at 10:58 am #

“If Governor Chris Christie runs for president in 2012 he’ll light up this conversation, but also has an opportunity to be a hero and lead on it. So far he has not. People may choose to ignore Christie’s obesity, but it remains a real issue for voters to consider and discuss.”

There should be more discussion on this issue.

First Lady Michelle Obama deserves great praise for her strong efforts in promoting excersize and healthy nutrition. Thanks to Michelle Obama, my children are served better lunches at school.

I support labeling nutrition information on food in restaurants. My best advice is to pay attention to what you are eating and understand what you are eating and what food you are buying.

Dave Chapelle said in his stand-up something like – “This first thing we did in Afghanistan is drop crates of food. This was to let them know that the fat people are coming.”

2. Jane Austen December 17, 2012 at 11:02 am #

And if you really want to eat healthier meals stop the processed foods. Not only are they not nutritious but they are loaded with chemicals to make them taste good and preserve their freshness so they can be sold without becoming stale. My husband, a chemist, reads all the labels of food that we buy and he knows what we shouldn’t be buying.

3. Taylor Marsh December 17, 2012 at 11:09 am #

First thing to stop ingesting is SUGAR, all of it, no matter the form. It’s one thing to splurge every once in a while, but quite another to ingest it daily in large quantities.

Read the old stand-by “Sugar Blues.”

It’s hilarious that everyone is now jumping on the sugar band wagon! I quit cold turkey when I was 18, though I do drink my sugar in moderation (wine, sparkling wine & champagne).

4. Jane Austen December 17, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Taylor – I quit eating sugar when I was in my 30s. And soda was always a “no no” in my house. My kids use to ask me for soda and I’d say no. Now they are grateful that I did.

• Taylor Marsh December 17, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Brava!

I could go on and on about how to get control over your life, health and diet, all of which is combined.

Next thing, hearty exercise every goddamn day; and I’m not talking about a lazy walk around the neighborhood! [Obviously, real or congenital health issues preclude this, but average people use excuses *not* real medical issues more often than not to keep from exercising.]

You don’t allow the words “I don’t have time” to come out of your mouth. Exercise is second in importance to breathing and water!

Then stop eating out at all fast food places.

That’s not to say that obesity isn’t also a psychological illness that isn’t about dieting, which experts have written about for years.

But at the bottom of it all is that being healthy isn’t a diet. It’s a way of life. That requires extensive change in lifestyle to maintain. Trust me, I’ve done it, helped others to do it and I know.

At midlife, the challenges multiply exponentially, especially for women. The changes many have to make at midlife are sometimes too great to grasp.

5. mjsmith December 17, 2012 at 11:24 am #

There is the repeated advice to only shop around the isles in a grocery store. Only go into the isles for a specific item. All of the healthy food is on the sides with meats in the back. All of the sugar and processed foods are in the isles.