SHOCKING! SHOCKING, I say.

Speaker Boehner is bringing back the House on Sunday, because Republicans are looking really small in this and at the bottom everyone knows middle class tax cuts will pass at some point and they might as well appear in the game. But, yes, I still believe a deal will get done and it won’t matter if it comes a bit late.

The middle class and seniors already dodged President Obama’s stunt, with the help of Pelosi and other establishment politicians, trying to cram Social Security cuts into an end of the year deal, something Republicans would never have tried. We’ll see it revived in the New Year buy Obama and the Democrats, but that’s not exactly news if you’re a regular reader around here.

I’ve not watched much of the media kabuki and cable hand wringing and wailing, because I won’t play the sucker for these numbskulls, media or politicians, buying into the ridiculous drama.

On the fiscal scheme, Ben White channels my own thoughts on the matter:

If a deal is struck sometime in January to reinstate at least some of the Bush tax cuts and a patch is applied to ensure the alternative minimum tax does not slam the middle class, the damage should be limited, many economists say.

Even if Congress would botch a last minute deal on the fiscal scheme, screwing up not hard to imagine, does anyone believe it couldn’t be fixed fairly quickly afterward? With all the establishment politicians depending on corporate dollars to get elected, does anyone believe they’ll make the lives of their corporate sponsors miserable by causing a collective heart attack on Wall Street?

As a bookend to Boehner and the Republicans, take a listen to Rep. Steny Hoyer, as corporate a Democrat as you’re going to find. He had the audacity to invoke a child taken hostage and threatened with being shot on the other issue swirling, the debt ceiling.

“It’s somewhat like taking your child hostage and saying to somebody else, ‘I’m going to shoot my child if you don’t do what I want done.’ You don’t want to shoot your child. There’s no Republican leader that wants to default on our debt, that I’ve talked to,” Hoyer said at a Capitol Hill press conference. – Hoyer compares GOP debt limit tactics to hostage taker threatening to shoot child

So close after the Sandy Hook tragedy, Mr. Hoyer’s speech is so stunning it’s hard to put into any context that would let him off the hook.

Classy bunch we’ve got in Congress.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to Boehner Opens House on Sunday, Hoyer Invokes Child Hostage Being Shot on Debt Limit

1. Cujo359 December 28, 2012 at 12:50 am #

Ridiculous. The Congress has passed the budget. Yes, I’m sure that no one wants to default on the debt. Since the federal government ultimately has the power to coin money and determine its value and it’s constitutionally obligated to pay its debts, you wouldn’t think this would be any more difficult a choice than is whether or not to take a breath. Or, Congress could choose to raise taxes so that the budget can be paid for. Yet here we are, stymied by a stupid act of Congress that Congress won’t undo.

2. jjamele December 28, 2012 at 8:52 am #

The Republicans aren’t looking really small on this- CONGRESS is. We’ve got two parties basically arguing over how much to cut entitlements and how little to raise taxes. In other words, we’ve got one party. The American people are catching on to how this argument is being played along the margins- it’s not even a Big Idea v. People Against the Big Idea. Nobody believes that this is going to result in meaningful reduction of the deficit or debt, and plenty of us have refused to be conned into believing that should be the focus anyway.

WHERE is the counter-argument? WHO is demanding more stimulus, more infrastructure spending, a stronger safety net? NOBODY. It’s “I want to cut this much bone, they want to cut this much bone, I want to raise taxes by a fraction, they don’t want to raise taxes at all” BS that demonstrates how cosmetic our “two party” system has become. The rest of this is nonsense.

3. jjamele December 28, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Steny Hoyer has been in Congress since the year before I started college in Washington DC- my liberal girlfriend thought he was awesome, I wonder what she thinks of him now? He’s become so confident with his regular 4-1 re-election victories, so dismissive of Democracy, he can just mouth off like this without turning his brain on first. He’s been representing a safe district for thirty years, can be as Progressive as he wants to be, and is. If he retired, there’s a very good chance that his district would send another Donna Edwards progressive type to take his place. There’s the door, Steny.

4. fangio December 28, 2012 at 10:11 am #

” Ship of Fools. “

5. ladywalker68 December 28, 2012 at 11:22 am #

A classy ship of fools we have in congress….nah…scratch the word “classy”.

Fasten your seat belts: regardless of what these 2% bone heads decide, the 98% of us who aren’t them are in for a bumpy ride.

I can’t follow this junk anymore. Somebody please wake me on Jan 1 and let me know just exactly how much I’ve been screwed.

6. jinbaltimore December 28, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

“The middle class and seniors already dodged President Obama’s stunt, with the help of Pelosi and other establishment politicians, trying to cram Social Security cuts into an end of the year deal, something Republicans would never have tried.”

Do we know for sure that SS cuts are off the table? Seems to be this would be a nice carrot to lure repubs back on Sunday.

• ladywalker68 December 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

jinbaltimore—My thinking exactly. My theory is that Obama’s Achilles heel is the debt ceiling and he would be willing to send his own mother to the guillotine to avoid another debacle like last year.

So it is a perfect time for him to serve up Social Security BIG TIME in exchange for the Republican terrorists to let go of the debt ceiling hostage.

7. angels81 December 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

I’ve been reading everyone’s comments the last week or so, and agree with most about SS on the table by the President, but I have to ask the question… If you where President of the whole United States and not just the democratic President, what would you do? How would you as President make sure the country doesn’t crash into another depression, while trying to deal with 20 to 30 tea baggers who control the house and refuse to do anything except let the country burn?

• Cujo359 December 28, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

I’d invoke coin seignorage, particularly what Ed Firestone calls The $60 Trillion Plan.

With the objection of how we pay for it out of the way, I’d spend the money on at least some of the things we should be spending it on. If Congressional Democrats in particular can’t figure out what to do from there, then they really are the hacks I take them to be.

• ladywalker68 December 28, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Cujo-sounds like a good plan to me.

• angels81 December 28, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

Its really a nice idea, now if only pigs could fly.

• jinbaltimore December 28, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

Pigs would have a better time getting off the ground if they weren’t so weighted down with sacks of gold from Wall St.

• angels81 December 28, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

I’m no fan of wall street, but this time wall street is not to blame. You have CEO’s telling congress to pass the tax hikes and end this. The problem is the tea party in the house came to Washington to shut the federal government down, and they have the power. Republicans like Boner who are in the pocket of wall street can’t get anything done with the marriage they made with the tea party for power.

In the history of this country we have seen nothing like this before, this is what the Nazi’s did in the 30′s in Germany, they shut the government down, and then took total control. It’s funny that these are the same people who want guns in the schools, are against any regulations on guns, and want their form of religion back in public schools. I find the tea party in this country anti-democratic, racists, and very dangerous.

• jinbaltimore December 28, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

it was just a metaphor, but now that you mention it
            “Republicans like Boner (Or Obama) who are in the pocket of wall street can’t get anything done with the marriage they made with the tea party for power” is a good thing…I don’t want a deal that helps Wall Street. Nope. It’s called, Let. Them. Pay.

• Cujo359 December 28, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

As that link made clear, the President can do this on his own. It does not require Congress, and it conforms to current law. I don’t know what it is about that plan that you think requires flightworthy pigs, but in the absence of any actual point being made, I don’t see any reason to try to explain something you seem motivated to not believe anyway.

• angels81 December 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

Its really easy to explain why it requires flightworthy pigs, because in your wildest dreams, it ain’t never going to happen.

• Cujo359 December 28, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

“If you where President of the whole United States and not just the democratic President, what would you do?”

Do those words look familiar? I answered your question. It is legal. It can be done. The President doesn’t want to do it. If you think otherwise, explain why. I’m not going to argue with a dumbass rant.

• jinbaltimore December 28, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

“I don’t have any answers to that question, so I would be interested in what answers other people have.”

I think you’ve proven here that, in fact, you wouldn’t.

Cujo answered your question, you shot his answer down w/nothing to go on but cliche, and then tried to act innocent when he called you out on it.

The election is over. You don’t have to support ANY of the evils anymore. We’re aloud to give voice to actual change, not the bs kind Obama ranted about in 08. And not the bs of the “fiscal cliff” he’s selling now either.

• ladywalker68 December 28, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

Nice try, Cujo. You at least came up with a doable idea instead of wringing your hands and absolving Obama of everything because he has to deal with the big bad Tea Baggers. His disciples believe nothing is his fault and that he can do no wrong.

I didn’t vote for him in 2008. I voted for him in 2012 only because the other side has turned into the U.S. Taliban when it comes to women’s issues.

But I still think he is a jack a$$ in many other ways. The Republicans would be worse. But the Dems aren’t that great either.

As far as a 3rd Party is concerned, they need to tool up and mount a serious challenge if they want my vote. NONE of them did that this time around. I am willing to go that way, but they have to do SOMETHING to get me to believe they even have a fighting chance.

• Cujo359 December 28, 2012 at 11:08 pm #

“I said I thought it was a nice idea. In a prefect world we would have leaders who would do something like that, but we don’t.”

OK, I think I see now. If I might rephrase slightly, you think it sounds like a good idea, but our current crop of elected officials would not be willing to consider it. If that’s so, then yes, you could very well be right.

Unfortunately, this reminded me of some of our earlier conversations, and as you can see from the reactions prior to mine, I wasn’t the only one who misinterpreted. Sorry about that.

• angels81 December 29, 2012 at 8:15 am #

That’s OK, sometimes my sarcasm gets in my way and I don’t express myself clearly.

8. Lake Lady December 28, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

Ship of fools is putting it mildly. I am torn between trying to ignore them and wanting to go and burn down the Capitol.

9. fangio December 28, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

What we really need is Lyndon Johnson. He knew how to use blackmail and threats to get what he wanted. Those obstructionists represent states, those states can be hurt with the power of the presidential pen. These people in congress practically spit in Obama’s face and he lets them. The best way to screw them is to screw their state, then sit back and watch the shit fly. Of course Johnson was not an Eisenhower republican, he was a democrat.

10. ladywalker68 December 29, 2012 at 9:24 am #

See, this is why Obama really frustrates the heck out of me. I don’t “hate” the man, but good grief, except for the federal workers, the rest of these raises are a slap in the face to those who voted for Obama this time around:

Congressional pay raises at this point in time are a total travesty!

11. Jane Austen December 29, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

The most unproductive Congress and Obama gives members a raise? When was the last time you got a raise for doing nothing? Something doesn’t compute here. Americans should protest this.

• ladywalker68 December 29, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

“Americans should protest this.” I agree. The only thing is that this is going unreported in the media. I stumbled across this buried on one of the ‘back pages’ of the Huffington Post. So most Americans don’t even know it is happening.

What is Obama thinking? This is like giving your kid an increase in allowance after flunking all courses at school.

12. angels81 December 29, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

This is just plain dumb. I don’t know what Obama was thinking? Maybe since he’s tried everything else, including SS cuts and he still couldn’t get these clowns to do their jobs, maybe he’s trying to bribe them?

Whatever the President was thinking, using his brains wasn’t part of it.

13. tonyb39 December 29, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Hi all, Happy New Year.
    Enjoying all the comments and Taylor’s pieces..

Angels
    I have had my problems with your posts in the past. Oh man, they would make me angry but i’m really enjoying your posts as well, thanks to all…

• angels81 December 29, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

Happy New Year to you, and everybody else. I also enjoy the comments here from everybody, even when they make me angry, that’s what makes it all so much fun.

14. fangio December 29, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

He gave them a pay raise because he hasn’t changed, he’s the same old get along to go along technocrat. They obstruct him for four long years, dedicate themselves to his destruction, stab him in the back every chance they get and receive a paycheck for their trouble. This has been the most unproductive, uncaring and unconcerned group of millionaires to govern ( or not govern ) this country in a very, very long time. The reality that they are indeed millionaires is reason enough not to give them a raise. If they really gave a damn about this country they would work for free. It really doesn’t matter what Obama does or says in public; he is a cold, calculating bureaucrat who doesn’t have the ethics or the values to see how this looks to the people who just struggled so hard to reelect him. I can assure you that fiscal cliff or no fiscal cliff, the rich will get off with nary a scratch and the rest of us will get shanked.