What I will say is this: Kristol is offensive, wrong, and this kind of swiftboating must stop, now. I know Chuck Hagel, and consider him a friend. I’m also Jewish. I know who Senator Hagel is, and what he stands for. I also know anti-Semitism when I see it, and for William Kristol to use this line of attack — crying wolf — against Senator Hagel seriously undermines real anti-Semitism when it arises. – Jon Soltz

SOMEONE NEEDS to tell Bill Kristol that President Obama makes Pentagon policy, not the Secretary of Defense, who serves at the pleasure of the president. Kristol and his Committee for Israel are targeting former Republican Senator Chuck Hagel, who’s been reported as at the top of President Obama’s list to replace Leon Panetta at Defense.

Now, I’m not invested in Chuck Hagel’s nomination, but President Obama won the election and gets to choose his cabinet. I am also incensed by Kristol’s continual swiftboating of good people, the latest a former Vietnam Veteran and Republican Senator, while Kristol sets himself and his hand picked people as the arbiters of who passes his pro Israel test.

From Dana Milbank, who also stood up for Hagel:

It’s indicative of an infantry sergeant who isn’t opposed to war (he voted for the conflicts in the Balkans, Afghanistan and Iraq) but knows the grim costs of going to war without a plan. And it’s indicative of a decorated military man who, unlike some of his neocon critics, knows that military action doesn’t solve everything.

Check out Kristol’s media page for his group, which reveals the list of people Kristol has targeted, including senator-elect Tammy Baldwin, as well as the Democratic Party as a whole during the 2012 election, especially President Obama:

Maggie Haberman reports on the Chuck Hagel swiftboating ad above:

The spot, which hits Hagel for voting against sanctions on Iran, is an indication of the next phase of attacks on the former lawmaker, whose past stands on Israel have gotten the most attention.

It’s set to air on Fox News, MSNBC and CNN in the Washington, D.C. market, the group says.

Mr. Kristol and the neoconservative right aren’t happy unless they’re accusing someone of being insufficiently pro Israel. Nothing is too low, including swiftboating a decorated veteran, something I began fighting against when working for Senator John Kerry’s Patriot Project many years ago and have continued ever since.

You may also remember Bill Kristol’s campaign to smear Media Matters and Center for American Progress as being “anti-Israel.” Below is Kritol’s full page ad I posted at the time, which comes from the same group that’s bringing you Kristol’s latest campaign against Chuck Hagel.

Bill Kristol should be ashamed of himself, but he has absolutely no conscience when it comes to defaming people who don’t agree with him.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Bill Kristol is Leading Chuck Hagel Swiftboating, Launches Cable Ad Campaign [Video]

1. mjsmith December 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

I think, finally, people are seeing through this crap. AIPAC is out and J Street is in. (wishful thinking)

President Obama has a long list of mistakes as far as foriegn ploicy goes. Standing up to that monster Netanyahu is not one of them.

I am on the side of Chuck Hagel. Thanks for this post!

• Taylor Marsh December 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

You bet, mjsmith.

This stuff stinks.

2. Magginkat December 19, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

Honestly, why are we giving so much money, weapons, etc., to Israel when we need that money for our own country? I am so sick of hearing about Israel. I do not hate Israel or it’s people. They have the same problem that we had with Bush/Cheney and their rabid right wingers. They have a military and leadership who think it’s ok to bully and bomb anyone who gets in their way.

Kristol has always been an arrogant right wing nut job. I think he worshipped the ground Bush #2 walked on. I make a point to never voluntarily read anything he writes.

3. Ramsgate December 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

Don’t know why Obama has to seek “permission” on who to hire by way of these trial ballons. I know its the way of Washington, but Lord I wish he had the confidence and the courage of his convictions to pick the people that he wanted and then to stand by them.

First create the framework or infrastructure to sell your team, then after careful vetting, quietly go about picking your team, then, announce/present to the public on your terms. Then sell them with vigor ad enthusiasm and above all loyally support them, if and when they are attacked. These trial ballons are sometimes self defeating.

4. secularhumanizinevoluter December 19, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

Kristol always was…is…and will always be an alcoholic ass who embarrasses himself regularly. Him and Boner should get together to have a crying jag after President Obama buried their mob in this last election.

5. Art Pronin December 19, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

I doubt hagel will be nominated-maybe flourney

• Taylor Marsh December 19, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

Ms. Flourney has been mentioned after Hagel, but according to every report and what’s swirling beyond, he’s been Obama’s first choice from the jump.

6. TPAZ December 19, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

Doesn’t President Obama know any Democrats? Is it too much to ask for a Democratic SOD?

• Taylor Marsh December 19, 2012 at 10:20 pm #

Panetta is a Democrat and he’s further right on issues of war and peace than Hagel.

• TPAZ December 19, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

“Doesn’t President Obama know any Democrats?”

Doesn’t President Obama know any Democrats who are to the left of Nixon, Reagan, Bush I, Bush II? (there; fixed it)

I would gladly take an Eisenhower today. Unfortunately, teabaggers would lock up Ike in Gitmo.

• Taylor Marsh December 20, 2012 at 9:21 am #

hehehe…

• jjamele December 20, 2012 at 9:48 am #

At this point, Obama might as well ask the Republicans to just pick his entire cabinet, if he’s determined not to nominate anybody at all objectionable. Elections used to mean something. They still do- when an actual, labeled Republican wins.