A man who says he once babysat for Newtown, Conn., gunman Adam Lanza says he recalls Lanza’s mother warning him never to turn his back on the boy – not even to go to the bathroom. [CBS News]

ANYONE HAVING a child in the house who is this mentally unstable and dangerous, but also owns an arsenal of weaponry, should have them under lock and key, inside a impregnable case. However, considering the swirling reports that Nancy Lanza was a survivalist “prepper,” that precaution pretty much goes out the window.

From the UK Guardian:

According to reports, Nancy Lanza was a so-called ‘prepper’, a part of the survivalist movement which urges individuals to prepare for the breakdown of society by training with weapons and hoarding food and other supplies.

“Last time we visited her in person, we talked about prepping — are you ready for what could happen down the line, when the economy collapses?”

Marsha Lanza described Nancy as ‘self-reliant’ and said she repeatedly talked about her preparations for the economic and social meltdown.

It has also emerged that Mrs Lanza had spoken of her fears about her son Adam’s behaviour less than a week before the attack.

According to reports she told a friend that she feared “losing” her son”, that his state of mind was “getting worse” and that “she was having trouble reaching him”.

Meanwhile, the other complicit party to our nation’s gun challenges and violent reality, the National Rifle Association, is on complete and total lockdown. No emails, total silence on Facebook, and general quiet on the NRA front.

It’s shuttered its Facebook page. It’s silent on Twitter. It’s released no public statements on its website. It isn’t responding to media inquiries. And it hasn’t launched an aggressive push on Capitol Hill to shore up support among its allies. [Politico]

, , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Adam Lanza’s “Prepper” Mother Warned Former Babysitter, Meanwhile NRA Goes on Lockdown

1. secularhumanizinevoluter December 18, 2012 at 11:08 am #

“She prepared for the worst,” her sister-in-law Marsha Lanza told the Chicago Sun-Times.”

Well she certainly enabled and got the very worst that could be under the circumstances…..it would seem to me when folks are bemoaning video games and movies being a root cause of this type of insane, senseless violence they ought to maybe make mention of the right wingnuts like beck and the UBERChristian telegelicals touting the end time.chaos crap along with their GETCHER GUNS advice.

“Meanwhile, the other complicit party to our nation’s gun challenges and violent reality, the National Rifle Association, is on complete and total lockdown. ”

The complicit cowards at the NRA might be but if you tune into wingnut radio you will hear all sorts of smarmy, sarcastic comments and lines of nonreason being bantered about.

2. jjamele December 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

John Gibson and callers to CSPAN’s Washington Journal have been parroting the hackneyed argument that “when people want to injure themselves and others, banning automatic weapons won’t help- they will find a way to do it no matter what.”

So the theory is that the lunatics at VA Tech, an Aurora movie theater, and a Connecticut school house would have killed dozens of people by- stabbing them? Throwing rocks? What?

3. Taylor Marsh December 18, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

As I’ve written innumerable times, there’s absolutely no way of “banning automatic weapons” and people familiar with firearms & their sale know it.

Anyone can buy the components to construct a semi or full-auto weapon and there’s no way to ban the sale of these items.

That’s why people are focusing on high-capacity clips, as one issue.

• DaGoat December 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Did Lanza use high-capacity clips? I hadn’t heard yet.

I’m for banning high-capacity clips, for better background checks, for closing loopholes such as gun shows and for better mental health care. At this point I can’t see any of those things would have stopped the Newtown murders.

Right now I’m seeing a lot of misdirected anger and demands that something be done in response to what happened in Connecticut, without worrying whether the problems unique to Newtown are addressed. Adam Lanza reportedly had loving parents with access to plenty of funds for mental health care. Many people are trying to fix blame but there is so much we don’t know and may never know since Adam and his mother are dead.

• Taylor Marsh December 19, 2012 at 9:29 am #

Adam Lanza had a .223 Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle, which is belt-fed and similar to an AK-47.

The articles on the massacre talk about hearing “100 rounds or more” being fired.

From HuffPost:

Lanza, 20, carried “many high-capacity clips” for the lightweight military-style rifle, Lt. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the Connecticut State Police, told The Huffington Post in an email.

4. angels81 December 18, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

Lets see, we had a lunatic in China enter a school and attack kids with a knife wounding 20 some kids, but nobody died. How many of those kids would be dead if the animal had a semi automatic weapon with a 30 round clip? People who argue that it doesn’t matter if the animal had a gun or not are just plain stupid.

5. mjsmith December 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

I know some “preppers.” I will say that this lady I know is as gun-loving, home schooling, and relligious as you can get. She is afraid and had distance herself from the extremists. It is scary what is going on. I listened to some “prepper talk” blog radio shows. They are very informative and interesting. I do have a plan to be prepared for a crisis in 2013. I amnot going to buy a gun. I am going to have at least 2 full tanks of propane at all times for cooking. Freeze-dried food. Powdered milk, a fresh water supply, and other necessities. I think that if it comes down to me having to shoot a gun in order to survive, I already lost. I am not saying that I will never own a gun. I am saying that I do not need one and do not want one.

I will say that Freedom to express yourself does sometimes require the ability to defend yourself.

• angels81 December 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm #

I’m curious, what great crisis coming in 2013 are you preparing for?

• mjsmith December 18, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

I don’t know what will happen in 2013. If I know what is going to happen, that would really be cool. I am worried about not having food or water. I really hope nothing happens. If something does happen I would like to have the basics covered.

• angels81 December 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

Thanks. I was just wondering.

6. Joyce Arnold December 18, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

For the many people who have worked for decades (and thanks and power to you) to get even sort of adequate funding for mental health care, this moment must be a mixture of “opportunity to educate” and “where the hell where all you people before now?” And there’s a good chance that in a few weeks, they’ll be asking, “where did most of you go?”

For the Electeds who are using access to mental health care as a diversion from thoughtful conversation and action related to guns, no surprise. It’s what you do. Of course, it isn’t an either / or situation, mental health care or guns. But the framing does work for distraction purposes. Electeds are very, very good at distracting, and encouraging the Right / Left attacks on each other. It could be dangerous to them if we started talking with each other, exchanging ideas, working toward solutions …

7. TPAZ December 19, 2012 at 9:04 am #

At this point, the mother should have moved every gun and bullet out of that house.

• Taylor Marsh December 19, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Locking them up in a case not made of glass and keeping the key away from her son would have sufficed. I say this because survivalist types will NEVER surrender their guns, regardless of what’s going on inside their own home.