Women Gain Big in Senate

BIG NIGHT for the girls, with some outcomes still unknown.

With CNN projecting seven-term Democratic Rep. Tammy Baldwin’s win in the Wisconsin Senate race, 19 women now hold seats in that chamber. She is also the first openly lesbian senator. New Hampshire now has an all female congressional delegation and a newly-elected female governor, former state Sen. Maggie Hassan. [..] “It’s been an incredible night we’re seeing a record number of Democratic women elected to office,” said Jess McIntosh, a spokeswoman with Emily’s list, an organization which works to help pro-choice, Democratic women get elected to office. “It says voters saw a clear contrast between the parties …there was an absolute rejection of extremist Republican (proposals).” Big gains for women in 2012

, , , ,

10 Responses to Women Gain Big in Senate

1. jjamele November 7, 2012 at 7:15 am #

Yeah but Obama apparently only won Pennsylvania because a scary black guy walked around near voting booths scaring people. He was probably a member of the Black Panther Party and he probably scared half a million good white people away from the polls.

And in Wisconsin a bunch of black people (probably the Black Panther Party) bussed in a bunch of black people from Chicago (probably Black Panthers) using state buses. And in Florida a lot of voting machines didn’t work, probably because they were broken by the Black Panther Party.

I know all this because I spent fifteen minutes watching “Fox and Friends” this morning.

2. Jane Austen November 7, 2012 at 8:29 am #

And my favorite, Elizabeth Warren, won in Mass. I’m so happy, I could cry. Of course, Kirsten Gillibrand won in NY but that was expected.

• ladywalker68 November 7, 2012 at 9:20 am #

Jane…me too. For me, Warren’s was the best win of the election.

• jjamele November 7, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Warren and Baldwin were the big wins for me last night. I don’t expect that Heidi Heitkamp will be anything but a slight improvement over a Republican in North Dakota, and McCaskill is only worth celebrating because who she defeated. I just hope Warren and Baldwin refuse to go along with the gutting of the social safety net just because “the party” tells them they have to.

3. Velvet November 7, 2012 at 9:20 am #

And my favorite, Heidi Heitkamp, won in North Dakota! She’s the only ND one I donated to and I got so involved in this race, so I am very happy with the result. I believe she will be able to work with the people in the Senate, unlike Berg. I had read in Politico, I believe, that she was running the best compaign in the country and it paid off.

I don’t comment often, but I’m always checking in to see what Taylor has written and to read what some of my favorite commenters are saying.

4. lynnette November 7, 2012 at 9:34 am #

I am so happy Warren won – and all the other women senators, too. Now, we need a few more on the Supreme Court. :)

5. Isis November 7, 2012 at 10:44 am #

Bachman survives! How does she do it?

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 7, 2012 at 11:17 am #

because there are pockets and populations in this country where either the insanity is contagious or there is still allot of lead based paint in the houses.

• ladywalker68 November 7, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Sec…..you got me ROTFLMAO with that one…..good thing I hadn’t taken a sip of coffee yet…lol.

6. LiberalJoe November 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

moving forward, I expect that in 2016 (yeah its way early but what the hey), the question now is if Hilary does not seek the Presidency, because if she decides to run I can’t see anyone else beating her for the nomination, and a man gets the Dem Pres nomination,which woman gets the VP slot. Who are the leading contenders right now? It would be foolhardy for the Dems to not have a woman on the ticket in 2016-they will need to continue to mobilize and retain the enthusiasm to win at levels similar to the past two elections.

I’ll throw out some names right now

Kirsten Gillibrand -my senator