The Last Campaign Stop *Updated*

Photo by Pete Souza

IT IS the last campaign stop for Barack Obama.

Bruce Springsteen played the song in the video above. First Lady Michelle Obama is speaking about the emotional moment, as they end the reelection campaign in Iowa, where Obama’s candidacy took flight back in 2008.

… When the President came out, it was an amazing moment between he and Michelle Obama. They held each other, her eyes closed tightly.

This is it for them.

“I’ve come back to Iowa one more time to ask for your vote. … This is where our movement for change began… Right here. Right here.”

Obama eventually went in to the story of how “Fired up. Ready to go,” originated. It led into the last pitch, of the last campaign, on the last night of the 2012 campaign.

Then the music played…

, , , ,

8 Responses to The Last Campaign Stop *Updated*

1. nzanh November 5, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

I don’t presume to know who will win but I sense a huge wave of voter discontent that will sweep away this feckless president and his henchmen. God willing.

• angels81 November 5, 2012 at 11:56 pm #

Why would god care who the hell the president is? If he/she does and is hoping for a Romney victory, I’m afraid he/she will be as disappointed as you will be come wed morning.

2. fangio November 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

Springsteen did say several times over the last couple of years that he would not campaign for Obama this time around. His reasons were no different than other Obama supporters who had lost the dream. I’m sure the Boss looks back on what might have been and sees only what is, just like all the other suckers. Yet looking at the prospect of a Romney presidency was probably to awful to contemplate for a working man’s billionaire. Springsteen needn’t bothered; as the caption in the Truthdig cartoon lamented, ” The election will not prevent the U.S. from becoming a murderously short sighted and self annihilating corporatocracy. ” As Red Skelton used to say, ” God Bless. “

• Taylor Marsh November 5, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

Yeah, I think Romney scared the crap out of Springsteen, who came from a very harsh childhood.

3. Taylor Marsh November 5, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

“Henchmen”? That’s harsh.

Obama’s been consistently ahead in the battleground states. I don’t think you’ll get your wish.

• nzanh November 6, 2012 at 12:30 am #

So Taylor I guess you can easily gloss over the 2010 election results? You don’t think that was a referendum on his leadership? You think Obama has been able to recover enough since that blowout? If Americans could have voted him out then, they probably would have. I see it, tomorrow will complete what was started in 2010.

• Taylor Marsh November 6, 2012 at 1:24 am #

I wrote the election of 2010 would result in exactly what happened. That was a midterm election.

This is a presidential election, with polling currently showing Obama’s got the advantage; on demographics there’s no contest at all.

There’s no evidence right now that you’ll get the result you and others like you want, but I certainly understand that electing Mitt Romney would be the culmination of the rejection of all things Obama.

I happen to believe that the American people aren’t crazy about either of these guys. People are feeling a bit better about the economy, and don’t trust Mitt Romney, for good reasons. The man hasn’t had a consistent position on anything but his religion and his own finances since he came on to the political scene.

However, there are enough people who hate Obama that they just don’t care.

As for whether Obama has “recovered” since 2010, his economics are awful, as I’ve written innumerable times. But not because they’re socialist or too liberal, but because they split the baby and don’t do enough progressive economics to really pull us out of where Bush put us, while also giving overtures to austerity, which could sink us for sure.

• lynnette November 6, 2012 at 9:04 am #

I think your analysis is right, Taylor. Actually, I pretty much agree with you. I just don’t know that one man can do it all, especially with a Congress that won’t work with him. I still feel that until we have public financing of elections where politicians aren’t bought and paid for, we will continue to have the same gridlock. Many districts across the country are already gerrymandered to get their desired outcomes, anyway. These are the things that must change to get real progress, imo. Having said that, I hope President Obama wins – I sure don’t want to see a President Romney and Ryan really scares me. It’s such an uncertain time for the country – I still remain hopeful for the future, though.