The Hypocrisy and Lie of “Pro Life” Zealots Revealed in Ireland

THIS IS what “pro life” means to the religious right in America, too. When represented by a “personhood” abomination it is fully delivered, something to keep in mind as Paul Ryan tries to amass power for 2016. Until right wing Republicans in this country understand this they deserve to lose the women’s vote. What happened in Galway represents a warning to what could happen here if the Ryan wing of the right gets in power. Yes, it can happen, because it just did.

But in the case in Ireland that killed a woman, because of a hospital’s Catholicism meant more than a woman’s life, what we’re seeing is what the religious believe a woman’s life is actually worth.

The people in charge of the University Hospital Galway in Ireland who made this decision should be tried for murder and made an example.

From the Irish Times:

Savita Halappanavar (31), a dentist, presented with back pain at the hospital on October 21st, was found to be miscarrying, and died of septicaemia a week later.

Her husband, Praveen Halappanavar (34), an engineer at Boston Scientific in Galway, says she asked several times over a three-day period that the pregnancy be terminated. He says that, having been told she was miscarrying, and after one day in severe pain, Ms Halappanavar asked for a medical termination.

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, “this is a Catholic country”.

She spent a further 2½ days “in agony” until the foetal heartbeat stopped.

The religious who demand fealty to an organized group over the life of the woman are not “pro life” at all. In fact, they make a mockery of the meaning of life itself.

“Pro life” has always been a marketing term used to make liberals feel guilty.

You can’t be “pro life” and allow a woman to die when it’s in your power to save her. If you willingly choose to let her suffer, then die, it’s called murder.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to The Hypocrisy and Lie of “Pro Life” Zealots Revealed in Ireland

1. ladywalker68 November 14, 2012 at 9:38 am #

Wow. Spot on, Taylor. :(

2. mjsmith November 14, 2012 at 9:52 am #

Abortion is murder. Abortion kills a living human. I am against abortion. I will always feel it is wrong because I know that it is wrong.

• mjsmith November 14, 2012 at 9:54 am #

When it comes to the life and the health of the mother , of course have an abortion. That is a no brainer. I would not go as far as to say “anxiety” is a legitamate health issue.

• Isis November 14, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Either you are not serious or you are confirming what many of us Marshans already know: Paul Ryan is not a respectable politician.

“The House passed the Protect Life Act in October 2011, with Ryan as one of its 145 cosponsors. The measure would allow hospitals to refuse to “participate in” or “provide referrals” for abortions. Current law states that any hospital that receives government funds is required to provide emergency care for anyone. If a hospital is affiliated with a religious institution that refuses to provide abortion care under any circumstance, they’re legally required to transfer the patient to a hospital that will. But the measure Ryan cosponsored would remove that obligation, leading opponents to criticize the bill for letting women “die on the floor.”

So TM is right as usual. Letting that A**** anywhere close to power makes it entirely possible that something like this would happen here.

• mjsmith November 14, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

Isis – Any law that say any person should “die on the floor” is wrong. I am not familiar with the details of the Protect Life Act that was passed in October 2011.

If the life or health of the mother is in jeopardy and no help is provided, especially from a medical facility, I do not care how religious, that is a crime.

• spincitysd November 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

I call BS. We all pay taxes for governmental policies that we find foolish, bullheaded, and evil. I’m helping to pay for our monstrous Drone Policy that kills hundreds of innocent civilians in far off lands. I’m helping to pay for a hideous domestic spying regime that shreds my right to privacy. I’m helping to pay for rendition, torture, and abuse. I’m paying for all sorts of outrageous and evil things the government does. Get off your high horse mjsmith, we all pay taxes for stuff we find disgusting.

• mjsmith November 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

spincitysd – I do not disagree with you on the point that we all pay taxes to support things we do not agree with and find morally wrong.

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

1″I am not aware of any respectable Pro-Life political leader here in the USA that would ever say that an abortion should not be performed in order to save the life ofthe mother. In fact the opposite is true.”

Either you are about as aware as a slime mold or you are just plain and simple a liar.

2.”Abortion is murder.”

3.”Bullshit Abortion kills a living human.”

Bullshit based in your particular superstition and not even that. Abortion is NOT mentioned in your big book of fiction. Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy. It is not a “living human being” it is a fetus. If it was a” living human being” there would be no need for an abortion would there.

4.”I am against abortion. I will always feel it is wrong because I know that it is wrong.”

Then don’t have one and if you get raped enjoy your lil gift from GAWD.

5.”I do not feel I have the right andcertainly the Government does not have the right to impose beliefson others. People have to make up their own minds andlive with their own choices.”

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Then you are Pro Women’s reproductive rights right?!!!

6.”I do not feel that the Government or anyone else has the right to make me pay for somehting that I believe in my heart is evil.”

Typical illogical, nonsensical responce from the wingnutesphere when it comes to womens reproductive rights….how about paying for bombs?

• mjsmith November 14, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

secular… – Could you please be a little more “coherent”.

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 15, 2012 at 5:40 am #

I can understand how to anyone who could post the utter nonsense and illogical spewingssuch as you do with some consistency having reality pointed out might seem in”coherent”. I am hopeful however that with time, care, understanding, much work and a desire to change on your part from misinformed, delusional repugnantklan/teabagger to actual in contact with the reality based universe citizen you actually will regain the use of your higher intellectual abilities and once again be able to understand.

3. Chuckg November 14, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

this sounds like you are saying that if they terminated the pregnancy, she would have survived. I am Pro Choice. But if she died from Septicaemia, she could have gotten that just by walking into the hospital. Nobody in the USA is going to let somebody “die on the floor.”

4. DaGoat November 14, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

The septicemia was probably from chorioamnioniitis, or an infection of the pregnant uterus. At 17 weeks with a fully dilated cervix this baby was doomed when the mother walked in the hospital. It would never be handled this way in the US though, and never will.

5. Taylor Marsh November 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

In rural counties where the Catholic Church owns the hospitals, and there are no clinics, if a woman is in this same position and walks into a hospital in the US, how do you know they’ll act differently? You don’t.

The object is to never, ever, ever find out.

6. secularhumanizinevoluter November 14, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

“What many completely ignore is that the policy out of the House suggests just this outcome, because no exception is made by many religious conservatives, for the life or health of the mother. It’s worth pointing out that these people concocting the legislation are a mirror image.”

Indeed, and this was the position of the Presidential Platform ol Mitt da Twit and Lyin Ryan ran on too. And women HAVE died from this EXACT thing in this country before abortion was legal…I knew TWO who did.

“There are people who consider Savita Halappanavar a martyr and heroine, I have little doubt.”

A martyr absolutely…a heroine? More like another human sacrifice on the alter of superstition aka religion and misogynistic patyriarchal control of women’s most basic of rights..