It’s the “Fall Back” time of the year, with the extra-special treat this time of having yet another full hour to enjoy the 2012 presidential election .You can Fall back “Forward!” with Obama, or Fall back to “Believe in America” with Romney. And while I realize this is really long-term thinking for We the Electorate of USA! USA!, it’s worth the stretch to consider the coming excitement when March rolls around, and we get to “Spring Forward” into the 2012 midterms, and even more thrilling, into the 2016 election cycle. Are we having fun OR what!?

Personally, I’ve already voted Green. Seeing the Green Party, along with several other party “alternatives,” on the ballot, with an even longer list of write-in possibilities, in the tiny Texas town where I vote actually was fun. Seeing Green candidates in down-ticket races added to the enjoyment.

Since the voting part of my civic duty is now complete for 2012, I’m thinking I may use the additional hour to “fall back,” way back, and listen to some music about time. Just a few selections. Please feel free to make your own.

“Turn, Turn, Turn,” Byrds

“Hazy Shade of Winter,” Simon & Garfunkel

“The Times They Are A-Changin’,” Bob Dylan

“Teach Your Children,” Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to The ‘Fall Back’ Extra Hour to Election 2012: Are We Still Having Fun OR What?! [Vidoes]

1. secularhumanizinevoluter November 3, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

I am most DEFINITELY having fun!!!! May the GAWD what ain’t even there forgive me but I do love the circus that is human nature and interaction!!!!

• Joyce Arnold November 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

“Circus” seems like a good description, though I’d add “frequently scary” to it :)

2. Jane Austen November 3, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

I have besieged by phone calls for every political candidate running in my district including the 2 running for POTUS that I have taken to screaming everytime the telephone rings. They are actually using live human beings now to get out the vote now and I’m telling them my vote is private. I won’t even let them put up political signs in my front lawn this year. First time in my adult life I have done that. And my husband and I haven’t contributed a penny to or worked for any candidate this year. And we have always been politically involved.

• Joyce Arnold November 3, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Living in a Red state with a few Blue (and several “alternative” colors), I miss most of the phone calls. Not getting the calls is great, though the ridiculous two-parties-only choices that underly the reasons I don’t get them isn’t.

3. jjamele November 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

How about Simon and Garfunkel’s “Mrs Robinson?’

Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday Afternoon
    Going to the candidate’s debate
    Laugh about it, Shout about it
    When you’ve got to choose
    Anyway you look at it, you lose!

• Joyce Arnold November 3, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

Perfect. And for those much too young to know, that song was recorded in 1968. All these decades later, we basically have the same “anyway you look at it, you lose” two choices, though with a significantly further Right position of each of the two.

4. jjamele November 3, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

I’ve seen the same Obama ad over and over again- Obama explaining his “plan”- he’s going to cut “where we can” (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid- that’s ‘where he can” because that’s where the Republicans and ConservaDems will go along) and “ask the wealthy to pay a little more.” (Gee, I hope he asks nicely.)

So, to the poor- he’s going to CUT.

And to the rich- he’s going to ASK.

This is vastly different from Romney’s plan, which involves cutting and NOT asking. Wow, what a stark choice.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. » The 'Fall Back' Extra Hour to Election 2012: Are We Still Having Fun … - November 3, 2012

[...] The 'Fall Back' Extra Hour to Election 2012: Are We Still Having Fun … Go to this article [...]