Top Story: Obama and Christie, In It for the “Long Haul” [Video]

Official White House photo of Pres Obama & Gov Christie on Marine One during aerial storm tour. (By Pete Sousa, WH Photographer).

THERE IS much being said and written about the interaction between Governor Chris Christie and President Obama after they toured the New Jersey devastation left in Sandy’s wake. However, it boils down to what’s required in an emergency situation when two people have a job to do and they put people first. We’ve just not seen an example of this in so long too many forgot what it looked like.

Between Jeffrey Goldberg asking why Christie is “subverting” Mitt Romney, and Andrew Sullivan asking why Christie has “embraced” Obama, you get an example of the worst of media missing the story unfolding right before their eyes.

The Washington Post:

“Obviously, the top priority right now is to get the power back on,” Obama told residents at a community center being used as a shelter in Brigantine, N.J., with Christie (R) at his side. “And as soon as we get power back on … then obviously there is going to be some cleanup and there are going to be some expenses…. I just want you to know that we’re going to be here for the long haul.”

[...] “It’s really important to have the president of the United States acknowledge all the suffering that’s going on here in New Jersey, and I appreciate it very much,” Christie said. “We’re going to work together to make sure we get ourselves through this crisis and get everything back to normal.”

… He said Christie “has put his heart and soul into making sure that the people of New Jersey bounce back even stronger than before.” Thanks to good preparations, “the loss of life was kept lower than it might have been,” Obama said. “But for those individual families, obviously their world has been torn apart.”

We witnessed the best of America in what happened for a few brief moments between Obama and Christie. It was a sight for weary eyes, because none of us had seen something like this in a very long time.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Top Story: Obama and Christie, In It for the “Long Haul” [Video]

1. fangio November 1, 2012 at 12:51 am #

There was this photo of the two of them at the airport before they toured the effected areas. Obama towering over Christie with his hand on the governors’ shoulder. Christie was looking up at him with this forlorn look. For a moment I thought they were going to kiss.

2. TPAZ November 1, 2012 at 2:36 am #

We don’t have politics in this country, we have representative entertainment – a blood sport. Us versus them. We are always right and they are always wrong. We are always pure and they always evil. How do we get back to sanity?

3. secularhumanizinevoluter November 1, 2012 at 5:28 am #

Sometimes I wonder if anyone in this country ever reads or studies history, especially the history of political campaigns in this country.

4. Isis November 1, 2012 at 5:52 am #

I agree with everything you wrote TM, but it is hard not be political especially when wingnuts keep attacking federal institutions. It was great to see the cooperation between both men, then I read Paul Krugman’s post on Republican attacks on FEMA then got angry and partisan all over again. Sigh….

Extract from Paul Krugman’s NYT blog:

So let me just take a moment to flag an issue others have been writing about: the weird Republican obsession with killing FEMA. Kevin Drum has the goods: they just keep doing it. George Bush the elder turned the agency into a dumping ground for hacks, with bad results; Clinton revived the agency; Bush the younger ruined it again; Obama revived it again; and Romney – with everyone still remembering Brownie and Katrina! – said that he wants to block-grant and privatize it. (And as far as I can tell, even TV news isn’t letting him Etch-A-Sketch the comment away).

There’s something pathological here. It’s really hard to think of a public service less likely to be suitable for privatization, and given the massive inequality of impacts by state. (…) It’s a bit of a mystery, calling more for psychological inquiry than policy analysis. But something is going on here.

End quote

5. StrideHyde November 1, 2012 at 7:28 am #

AC Mayor Lorenzo Langford.

6. angels81 November 1, 2012 at 8:04 am #

Very good picture at the top of the post. Sometimes a picture can speak a thousand words, and this is one of them.

• Taylor Marsh November 1, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Yeah, interestingly, this one wasn’t made “picture of the day” by the White House.

It was tweeted out & when I saw it, well, like you said, angels81, it told the tale.

7. Jane Austen November 1, 2012 at 8:46 am #

The picture at the top is one that says to me “what can we do to help the people?” not “what politics should we play with this disaster?” I have never understood how politicians can play politics with people’s lives. People of all political stripes were impacted by “Sandy” and my heart goes out to them. I feel fortunate that my family made it through the storm virtually unscathed.

8. PeggySue November 1, 2012 at 10:33 am #

Again, spot on TM. I was born and raised in South Jersey, spent every summer of my growing up years on Brigatine Island. Those videos of the area break my heart. Christie may not be my favorite politician but he’s a Jersey guy and I absolutely believe he’s going to do everything he can to bring the area back. And that means working with POTUS, who I’m happy to see has stepped up to the plate and is acting like a real leader.

Both these men might have all kinds of political agendas. But for the moment, they are doing what we pay them for–reaching out and working for the people. OMG dare I say it–being leaders.

9. TaosJohn November 1, 2012 at 10:55 am #

Very astute observations, Taylor. And what a different world we’d have today if the Republican party had actually cooperated to solve problems over the last four years. My opinion of Christie has gone way up, BTW.

10. newdealdem1 November 1, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Open Quotes:

“President Obama and Governor Chris Christie did what they had to do in a situation that required men to step up and get down to business. It’s stunning we’re in such bad shape in this country that we can’t recognize leadership on the federal and state level for exactly what it is and actually be grateful for the anomaly.

Governor Christie is allying himself with President Obama because the people of his state need him to work with the federal government in every way to recover from a storm that destroyed New Jersey as we’ve always known it.”

Close Quote

And, as someone tweeted yesterday:

“I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!!

Also, this:

Open Quote:

“It’s incredible to me professionals whose job it is to analyze politics can’t factor in the human element in a moment of epic tragedy that wipes everything else away.”

Close Quote

They seem to have lost their own humanity as they are unable to get in touch with the human element that trumps everything else except what needs to get done to help people many of whom have lost everything or close to it and some lost their loved ones. This goes way beyond being blind or being unable to see what is in front of ones eyes.

Also, in regard to Christie, I’ve not been as hard on him as some other liberals. I think it’s because I have two cousins who are very much like Christie, hometown New York boys born and raised who love everything about being from this place and defend it when under attack. Larger than life big bear guys who don’t brook fools lightly and they are hardly always right but there is not a phony bone in their makeup and they would (and have) done things to help anyone in need or trouble. And, for all of their bluster and big ways, they also know how to comfort people in bad times and aren’t afraid of their emotions whilst doing so.

So, Christie is a particular New Jersey/New York type of guy like my two cousins whom I understand and know well even as we engage each other in lively arguments over the dinner table during holidays as we don’t agree about much in politics. But, I know they would do anything for me and my family (and have) without even being asked. And, the feeling is mutual.

As with my two,larger than life cousins, the urge to metaphorically kick Christie in his backside when he deserves it also goes with the territory of praising them and him when they cross the road because the impulse to lead the way with the motive to help and comfort others who have suffered enormously comes first.

And, this from Peggy Sue:

Open Quote:

“Both these men might have all kinds of political agendas. But for the moment, they are doing what we pay them for—reaching out and working for the people. OMG dare I say it—being leaders.

Are voters starved for this? You’re damn right they are. At some point we have to put the cynicism down and simply say: Way to go, guys. Way to go!”

Well said, Peggy Sue.

11. newdealdem1 November 1, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

I quoted Taylor a lot in the above post. I inadvertently left out one comment:

Well said, Taylor!

12. newdealdem1 November 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

I think this is the best place to post this news.

Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel will headline an American Red Cross benefit concert for victims of Hurricane Sandy to be broadcast on NBC tomorrow at 8pm. http://tinyurl.com/b8evc8p

13. secularhumanizinevoluter November 1, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

It has been TREMENDOUS fun listening to the repug/bagger/UBER heads splodin on wingnut radio today!! Almost makes me wish we still had that impotent, drug addicted closeted self loathing bag of pus limpwithnoballs on in the Phila market…he went off on a rant today about maybe Christies goin GAY!!!!!

• newdealdem1 November 2, 2012 at 9:07 am #

Sec, Rushamburger along with AnnColt45 are nothing more than attention-starved, heat-seeking “human” missiles who unfortunately know their hate-filled audience well and just play up to them so they can continue to subsidize their respective addictions.

Although, I have to admit, anything that gets under the skin of either of these walking pieces of excrement does my soul good. When people behave as these two do and have done for years making a living out of hatred (frankly, I don’t think they believe half the stuff they vomit to their audiences which makes them exponentially worse), they deserve everything thrown at them and more.

Great to see how Christie rattled Rushamburger’s world. LOL. Sweet! :)

He wouldn’t last two seconds in the same room with Christie mano a mano, the coward, he only knows how to scream and yell verbal vomit at people safely behind that big ole mic or in front of the safety of a CPAC conference where his audience is in full thrall. Outside of those arenas, he’s a shrinking, pathetic little nothing.

He wants to think of himself as the godfather of the GOP and expects, nay, demands that all Gopers genuflect to him. That’s something that someone like Christie will never do. And, he knows it, too. He has no control over Christie as he does over many others (who are afraid to go against him because of his power over his Ditto-head audience who are more wont to vote a certain way). So, all that is left for him in his rat cave is to squeal like one when he sees someone behaving as Christie has, especially that he has an “R” after his name, like a human leader should.

I would love to see nothing more than to see Christie verbally dress him down as only Christie could. Rushamburger would melt as fast as this specimen of wickedness. http://tinyurl.com/a6exaar I’d actually pay to see that. Srsly.