It’s Not Too Late to Brine

THIS IS the secret to the best turkey imaginable. Immersing your bird in ice water, spices, even garlic and onion, sugar, and salt is a must, with a bottle of apple cider vinegar the secret ingredient, as far as I’m concerned.

We use a cooler and sit the bird in the garage, covered, but we’ve also used one of the refrigerator crisper bins, too. A large bag will do, as long as you can place the bird where it’s very cold, as if it were in a refrigerator.

No doubt you have your favorite turkey tricks, too.

On Thanksgiving, since we had our bird over the weekend, we’re going to have garlic shrimp linguini, one of our favorite splurges.

The portobello mushroom soup is almost gone, because it never lasts long when I make it.

If you need some last minute help the Food Network site has the answer, I’d bet. What did we ever do before Food TV existed?

Happy cooking… or just eating.

We’re going to start our Thanksgiving by going to the gym! It’s a tradition at our house.

, , , ,

12 Responses to It’s Not Too Late to Brine

1. secularhumanizinevoluter November 21, 2012 at 5:19 am #

Unfortunately our Turkey this year is SO gi-hugic I don’t have anything big enough unless I wanted to sterilize one of our trash cans…NOT!
    Already baked cornbread Sunday and am letting it get stale to crumble for stuffing and I actually have the crock pot doing up some mushroom soup as I type. Going to use some of the mushroom stock to moisten the stuffing mix. Then fresh made cranberry sauce with ginger and blueberries and smashed potatoes with of course gravy will round it out.
    And I will only be able to eat some turkey due to the bypass. Poop.

2. Jane Austen November 21, 2012 at 7:06 am #

The portobello mushroom soup sounds divine. It wouldn’t last very long in my house as my husband loves all things with mushrooms. My cranberry sauce is put through a sieve and uses apple, cinnamon stick and cloves. It was the only way I could get my kids to eat cranberries when they were little. Now if it’s part of every Thanksgiving.

3. Taylor Marsh November 21, 2012 at 10:02 am #

Love hearing what everyone is fixing.

Sech – I’ve brined a turkey in a large garbage bag! Trick is to put things around it so liquid covers it.

Sold on brine & won’t fix one w/o.

The soup was FAB, Janea!

Happy Thanksgiving.

4. whitepaw November 21, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Hi Taylor and other fellow Thanksgiving chefs. I always brine my turkey, but it is a simple brine… just water, kosher salt and sugar. This year I am trying a different and more elaborate brine, but it does not have the ac vinnegar in it — I wonder what the vinegar does… adds flavor and perhaps serves to make the turkey more tender as well. I use vinnegar when I cook ribs (boil them first, then grill them on the BBQ after they are already tender. Learned this amazing trick from our butcher at New Seasons (grocery store) who is from the south).

Not cooking this year until Friday as this is when everyone can get together. Plots thicken as your kids become adults!

Would love the portabella mushroom soup recipe…

5. lynnette November 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Blessings to you all. We’re not having our turkey until the weekend. My son had his 4 wisdom teeth pulled today – so far so good. :)

6. whitepaw November 21, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

:) Happy Thanksgiving to you too Lynnette! Four wisdom teeth — ouch!

Taylor — Found a recipe for a brine with apple cider vinegar — Friday’s turkey is brining now. Cannot wait for the results!

7. newdealdem1 November 21, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

Thanksgiving is our favorite holiday. I have so much to be thankful for and I’m one lucky dame.

This is the fourth year that I’ve brined our Turkey. I use a gallon of water, a gallon of apple cider, a few apples, onions and garlic heads along with a couple of cinnamon sticks, a fresh spring of rosemary, sage and thyme, koscher salt and light brown sugar. There is nothing like a brined roasted Turkey. Everyone I’ve served it to have loved it. It’s so moist and tender and incredibly flavorful.

Always a good tip: when your turkey is done, don’t carve it right away. Put the Turkey on a carving board or plate, cover with reynolds wrap and let it stand for half hour or more so the juices have a chance to settle.

I don’t know what I would have done without the Food Network especially Alvin Brown for the brining idea. I also love Ina (the Barefoot Contessa) and have learned a lot from her. She’s just fabulous.

Side Dishes:

Fresh beets with red onions and lime.
    Mascarpone Smashed Potatoes.
    Stuffing: Bourbon/sausage/apple/pecan/sage made with Challah bread.
    Roasted corn on the cob.
    Brown sugar carrots.

Wines:
    Pinot Noir
    Sauvignon Blanc

Desserts (not home made)
    Italian Cheese Cake
    Pumpkin Pie
    Apple Pie

I wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving. ladywalker, I hope your son feels better soon.

8. newdealdem1 November 21, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

My mistake and apologies: It’s lynnette’s (not ladywalker’s), son who had his four wisdom teeth removed. Poor kid ;( I hope he heals quickly. Wishing you and your family well, lynnette.

9. newdealdem1 November 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

My second comment doesn’t make much sense as my prior comment has not been approved and posted. LOL.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

10. Jane Austen November 22, 2012 at 11:17 am #

A little Thanksgiving Day humor: :)

A little thought to all of you who are disgruntled, challenged, anxious or frustrated with any aspect of turkey this day. Be thankful it was the turkey that became the tradition and not the bear. May you all be blessed with fellowship, bounty and humility.

11. newdealdem1 November 22, 2012 at 11:31 am #

LOL JA. I think if it was bear, we would be on the menu and not the bear.

12. secularhumanizinevoluter November 22, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Turkey was stuffed and cooked….potats were smashed, cranberries were sauced and gravy was slathered……Happy Turkey day all!!