Exhausted, Obama Opens Up and His Cool Cracks

“Thank you. This is your victory.” – Words posted beneath the video above on Barack Obama’s YouTube channel

ONE THING people who never get close to campaigns or ever meet candidates, including those who lose, ever get to see is the toll of a long election cycle. What candidates go through on the presidential level is something else entirely.

We saw what can happen in hard primaries with Hillary Rodham Clinton in New Hampshire back in ’08.

Seeing President Obama in the brief clip shown on Piers Morgan, which was posted on Barack Obama’s YouTube channel and you can see above, you get a sense of how hard this campaign has been for him, what it means, as well as the connection he has with his staff.

This is one of those moments when you have to hold conflicting ideas in your head at the same time. To appreciate the heart of Barack Obama’s humanity, while seeing the flaws when looking at it in a wider context. It doesn’t lessen the moving moment, but it should give progressives pause.

From CNN:

“I am absolutely confident that all of you are going to do amazing things in your lives,” Obama says in the video, which was posted on his campaign’s official Youtube page Thursday.

… “Even before last night’s results, I felt that the work I had done in running for office had come full circle. Because what you guys have done means that the work I am doing is important. And I’m really proud of that. I’m really proud of you,” Obama said, wiping away tears.

… “What you guys have accomplished will go in the annals of history,” Obama said.

The human being behind the politician is rarely considered, except when a moment of heart is revealed and we’re allowed into the private emotions that are normally held in check.

Sentimental nostalgia brims over as President Obama shares what he feels at the closing moment of his last campaign. He starts with where he began, while looking at the workers that helped him win reelection who have made him reflect upon his life. He has come full circle, he says.

The realization that he’s about to go back into the last chance he has to impact America, at an intersection that only allows for incremental changes no matter where you want to push.

At one moment he invoked Bobby Kennedy, talking about “the ripples of hope in a lake.” It was the first mention of another leader inside the liberal movement that he’s uttered.

It’s very interesting to me and worth noting that at no time on Tuesday or even in this intimate moment he’s sharing with his campaign team that is disbanding did he ever utter the words Democratic Party.

When asked on the phone Thursday during the very last conference call of OFA about where the Obama infrastructure goes and will it be in place for 2016, David Plouffe didn’t either. He opined about the emotions that make people leave their families and work long hours, saying that the people are tied to Barack Obama, so it can’t simply be replicated.

That’s very true, no argument at all. However, it’s not like the ideas Barack Obama has championed are new ones. Mr. Obama didn’t conjure any of the policies out of original cloth. In fact, his historic health care legislation came from a conservative framework.

When he talked to the activists, President Obama talked about the workers going off in different directions, working for non-profits, the private sector. What about the option of working to spread the message of opportunity, that we are in this together, and building an America where progressive principles are understood as the best way to navigate the modern era, which can be cruel, with community as important as independent successes?

Scattering potential resources and human capital at a moment in history when attaching them to progressive entrenchment to solidify gains that could make the difference to the Democratic Party future was unmentioned, ignored, this notion perhaps never dawning. Of course the moment of heart will move people, as it did me, as surely as it will media covering it, but what does it all mean if the emotional attachment to a historic political figure isn’t tied to the ideals that inspired Obama to be a Democrat?

It’s why as thrilling as the win for a Democrat over a Republican is and how masterfully it was done, it’s hard not to be left with the feeling that what President Obama accomplishes, especially depending on the economic deals coming, will be about working together to make a deal. The Democratic Party principles that landed him where he is today, as well as the party activists who believe in these principles, all secondary, even unimportant since they were left specifically unmentioned.

The founders weren’t keen on political parties, but we live in a combative political climate today. Floating from election to election on the wings of emotional celebrity connection is a dangerous way to solidify gains and liberal ideas.

Let’s hope the progressives that were elected, from Elizabeth Warren to Tammy Baldwin, can handle the lift, as well as the winds of compromise, because after the results of this year’s election any compromise will be with themselves.

Democrats are right to be gleeful of winning, but the warning signs ahead are already in full view. Because Barack Obama has tied activists to him and what happens after he leaves the stage is unknown, because he nor his team see any reason to weld it all to progressive causes or the Democratic Party that are eternal.

If Democrats aren’t careful this could evolve into fatal foreshadowing.

, , , , , , , , , ,

85 Responses to Exhausted, Obama Opens Up and His Cool Cracks

1. PeggySue November 9, 2012 at 9:07 am #

I caught this vid earlier yesterday and was genuinely surprised. And yes, moved. My first thought was this is what these modern elections do to candidates–claw them without mercy and then eat them alive. Of course, I couldn’t help remembering when Hillary broke down in New Hampshire. She received very little sympathy for a human moment.

Btw, I found your analysis on POTUS’s comments to the campaign troops really interesting. I takes me back to the first election and Obama’s own words that he was the blank slate upon which people would write their hopes and dreams, rather than the man himself being the vessel of those hopes. I want to be optimistic but this constant chatter of the Grand Bargain makes me very nervous, particularly with POTUS’s penchant for acquiescence. Regardless of what direction he chooses, this will be a huge, fierce challenge. What I’ve read since election night convinces me the Republicans/Tea Party set are no more willing to bend than they were the last time out. This is going to be trench warfare.

That being said, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with politicians revealing their human side. Personally, this vid makes me want to see the man succeed all the more. For everyone’s sake.

2. Taylor Marsh November 9, 2012 at 9:24 am #

I am interested in President Obama succeeding as long as the policies forward progressive economics without Dems compromising with themselves.

There is a way for Obama to win big while solidifying & paving a foundation for what comes next, because this is not about him alone.

If this isn’t done what happens beyond Obama will require yet another fight to remake the Dem case.

My job is to keep everyone focused on policies not personalities. The difference matters.

• PeggySue November 9, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

Oh, I agree. It’s all about the ultimate policy because in 4 years Obama will be gone. However, for good or ill, the legacy will remain. Guess it depends on what the word ‘compromise’ means to the President and what bargaining chips he’s willing to use. Despite what the Republicans say [they're trying to convince themselves they have the mandate and in fact I rec'vd a robocall last night surveying public opinion], the leverage is on the Democratic side.

I hope POTUS uses the moment wisely.

3. lynnette November 9, 2012 at 10:41 am #

I agree with Taylor. I watched the President’s victory speech Tuesday night with a lot of admiration for him and especially the energetic, diverse group of young people in the audience. What a connection they have with him. I so admire all the hard work that the young people put in to get Obama reelected – I think it’s breathtaking. And I feel very positive about it. Afterall, they are the future, right? However, as leader of the Democratic Party, the president and his campaign staff should be thinking down the road for 2016 and how we can keep moving “forward”. It shouldn’t just be left to personality politics. We should be thinking about replicating success for the next presidential candidate. It would be a shame if we didn’t.

• Taylor Marsh November 9, 2012 at 11:11 am #

How very well said, lynnette. So glad you took the time to weigh in.

4. TPAZ November 9, 2012 at 10:55 am #

President Obama is not a product of the 20th century Democratic Party or the civil rights movement. He has no allegiance to either organization or ideology beyond his own ambition personal career. He is a 21st century transactional politician; calculating the risk versus the reward of a situation while spending the least amount of political capital to successful; no more no less. In other words, his maximum expenditure on an issue is determined before goals are set. Mr. Obama will fight for people up to the amount he is willing to pay and not one penny more. It’s a shame. Only a few people ever find themselves in a position to effect change. Let’s hope one day he doesn’t regret not doing more.

• Taylor Marsh November 9, 2012 at 11:12 am #

The words from Plouffe signified something to which all progressives need to pay attention, that’s for sure.

• TPAZ November 9, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Since Mr. Obama did not add to his remarks “However, if you decide to remain loyal to the Democratic Party and dedicate a portion or your entire career to growing the party, strengthening, expanding, and promoting the values that we believe in, and protecting the middle class (he would never use the word poor) from selfish policies of objectivism, then, I can think of no higher calling for one’s aspirations.”, this cult movement phenomenon will dissipate in 2016 like a gentle springtime rainstorm. This moment in the future is when liberals and progressives can recapture the party purge the corporatist element from its ranks.

• jjamele November 9, 2012 at 11:39 am #

I’m just astonished that after four years, people can still get taken away by an Obama speech. This guy is a consummate actor and a great speaker- we knew that EIGHT YEARS AGO. Now we need to know- what does he want for a legacy? The “Grand Bargain?” Or a New Deal for the 99%? If he chooses the latter, and fights for it, THEN I’ll shed a tear of admiration. Because talk is very, very cheap.

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 9, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Oh please…are you SERIOUSLY saying this was an act. DAMN the Obama hate syndrom in some folks is strong!

• jjamele November 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

So…..we are in for another four years of “any suggestion that we look at Obama’s actions instead of his words is to be dismissed as ‘Hate?’” We are in for a long, painful second term, then. I think I’ll just continue to skip over most of your spittle, I doubt I’ll miss much.

Meanwhile, Earth to Secular: Most politicians are actors. Most of us figure this out before we reach adulthood. Most of us put away the pom poms and judge based on something other than pretty words. Clearly, some of us never do. Glad I could help, at least a little.

• jjamele November 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

By the way, you might want to tell Solo that you are attempting to steal his act.

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

Let’s see….a President in a thank you for all the unbelievably hard work speech to the folks who spent just about every waking hour for like EVER gets choked up….and you IMMEDIATELY jump in that it’s just an act…..yeah, Obama hater about covers you to a T. As for my spittle, I reserve that for those worth the spit. You are a one trick pony and to tell the truth the trick kinda sucks and the pony has the mange.

• Solo November 9, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

Barack Hussein Obama is the President Of The United States of America and there is nothing you can do about it. Deal with it!

• Solo November 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

In one of JJamele recent posts he said that he doesn’t support the President because the President hasn’t earned it. It’s abundantly clear now that there is absolutely nothing Obama could possibly do that would meet with JJamele approval. The President is an actor who was faking it? That’s teabagger level derangement!

• jinbaltimore November 10, 2012 at 3:54 am #

Nahh…just observation skills without the fanboy filter.

• jjamele November 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

That’s not what I said, and you damn well know it. Your constant attempts to put words in my mouth and thoughts in my head expose your rank dishonesty and bizarre inability to deal with any criticism of the President. You deal with it, I’m done.

• DaGoat November 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

FWIW I think Obama was sincere, although what his tears mean other than he isn’t always Mr Spock is unclear.

I’m in the minority here but if Obama takes advantage of the opportunity for compromise that’s a good thing. Adopting a more rigid ideology will not serve the country well, and will hurt the Democrats in the long run just as it has hurt the GOP.

• Taylor Marsh November 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

The “advantage of the opportunity for compromise” on what?

What have Obama and the Democrats offered up that Republicans have refused so far?

This is a perfect example of showing your hand in a game of political poker & it’s self defeating every single time.

I’m not against compromise at all, but what you’re suggesting, DaGoat, is just bad negotiating.

• Solo November 9, 2012 at 10:50 pm #

What complete utter nonsense!

5. fangio November 9, 2012 at 11:59 am #

I am afraid, that in most cases, people don’t change. Sometimes they mutate, but don’t change. Obama’s a chameleon, he is what he needs to be when he needs to be it. The Obama in the first debate was the real Obama; he was there for all the world to see. Romney, a man who truly made your skin crawl, was the real deal, for better or worse. If people questioned his opinions or something he said, he would simply channel Popeye; ” I yam what I yam. “

6. Taylor Marsh November 9, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

Jjamele – It is ridiculous to say the video is “acting” by President Obama.

Besides being cynical, it’s Obama Derangement Syndrome.

• jjamele November 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

WTF-ever, Ms Marsh. You believe what you want to believe, I’ll believe what I want to believe.

The difference is, I won’t ascribe YOUR choices to some “syndrome” which suggests you are not quite right in the head, or are racist, or both. I’ll respect YOUR opinion and not slap some silly, overused, “shut up now” label on it. If Obama is sincere in his gratitude toward the people who helped him get a second term, he can best prove it by working to make their lives- ALL our lives- better, not by choking up during a speech. But heck, that’s just me and my “Obama Derangement Syndrome.”

Again, WTF-ever.

• Isis November 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

Relax…seriously. Reread her post and not only her answer to your comment then you will realize that you are making exactly the same point as TM but insulting her in the process. Why are u so convinced that expressing positive feelings and thinking critically is impossible? Weird.

• Seriously November 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

Enough.
          I’ve been coming to this blog for 4+ years. I came originally because it provided a place to find like minded people as we watched the take down of Hillary Clinton by the same people who just took down Mitt Romney. The same people using the same tactics. Those tactics were not OK then, and they are not OK now. Most that post here now look the other way, it was OK this time around because they were aimed at the other guy. Hypocrisy at its finest. Attack anyone and everything simply because they have the wrong letter next to their name.
          Some simple lessons we learned as children, the we’ve come to forget as adults.

Dear Taylor: Really?, its “ridiculous” to say he’s acting, or its derangement syndrome…….
          what do you call this:

• Sandmann November 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

Yeah, after nary a peep in the last 4+ years, you’ve decided to drop in and school the ‘same people’ on what tactics are acceptable to ‘like-minded people’. Who the fu@k are you?

• jjamele November 9, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

I’ve basically reached the “Enough” stage at this site, too. I’ve got some idiot who can barely post twice in a row without bleating “republiklan/teabagger” and “bovine fecal matter” telling ME I’m a “one trick pony.” I refuse to be impressed by a politician who spent four years breaking promises and folding to the right wing choking up during a speech, preferring instead to be impressed by actions rather than words, and get accused of suffering from “Obama Derangement Syndrome.” A few weeks ago, I got called a racist, and was then basically told to just get over it. It just isn’t worth it anymore if this site is just going to become another Media Matters For America, DailyKos echo chamber. I’m really coming to the conclusion that life is just too short for this site.

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 10, 2012 at 7:34 am #

jjamale….please, if you must try to refer to my gems get them right…it’s repuGNANTklan/teabagger…and you forgot the UBERChristofascist. Apparently ODS has affected your perception as well.
            As for an accurate summation of your performance abilities….if it bothers you having your limitations pointed out learn at least one more trick and get your pony’s mange treated.
            Just because folks here recognize the rather less then brilliant quality and content of your posts or point out the glaring mental health red flags doesn’t mean we don’t love you.
            Well….actually I guess it does….but hey, don’t go…we need the comic relief.

• Taylor Marsh November 10, 2012 at 8:15 am #

Seriously November 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Regarding that link, if you don’t know the difference between emotions Obama showed with his staff upon the last election he’ll run in his life and John Boehner’s tears over Iraq funding you haven’t been comprehending a thing for the 4+ years you’ve been reading my writing.

• lynnette November 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

jjamele,
        Obama was very sincere in that video. He knows how hard so many people, especially the young ones, worked for his reelection and he appreciates what they did – he said that they reaffirm the importance of his work. I thought this moment was tremendous. The man is human. The job is difficult. He knows he couldn’t have done it without them. All you have to do is look at the young people on the night of his victory speech and you can see the connection. That’s a good thing. Stirring speeches can be a good thing – if they motivate people to get involved in the political process, don’t you think?

• Solo November 9, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

Your losing your audience jjamelle.

• Solo November 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

“I’ll believe what I want to believe”! Well there it is! That is the truest thing you have ever said! I wonder, is there such a thing as a left wing teabagger? Beause if there is you are it.

• jjamele November 11, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Ummmm…..whether or not Obama was being sincere in that video is a matter of opinion, not fact. That you are arguing otherwise, suggesting that any questioning of the president’s sincerity makes one a teabagger, is just bizarre, but also completely typical of you.

Of course, this all started because I had the audacity to suggest that we judge the president’s actions, not his words. Naturally, this is repulsive to obsessed little cheerleaders like you, who treat any criticism of the President like a personal affront.

7. jinbaltimore November 9, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

Thinks that cool will be re-cemented over very shortly.

With jjamele and 80′s Band, Berlin, on this: no more words.

8. Seriously November 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

Not here to school anyone Mr. Sandmann.
    Just trying to hold everyone to the same standard.
    If its “unacceptable” for a politician to shed tears, it doesn’t matter whether they have an R next to their name, or a D…….. if they are a male or a female…. so it was OK for the media to chastise Hillary Clinton when she dared to show some emotion while on the campaign trail, and it was OK for the media and others to mock John Boehner when he shed a tear, but if
    Barack Obama does it……..it takes our breath away. And should someone DARE question his sincerity they get called names and attacked. Not cool.

Maybe someday we can get past the anger and hatred and name calling and start treating each other with simple respect and dignity and kindness. Then and only then will real “change” start to happen.

Simple rule to follow. Treat others and you would like to be treated.

And one more thing…….. “Who the Fu#k am I” do you kiss your kids with that mouth?

• whitepaw November 9, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

Civility seems to be lacking with certain posters here… A lot of nastiness…

• Sandmann November 10, 2012 at 1:42 am #

Blah, blah, blah.,,and then you were compelled to twist a heartfelt moment between the President and his staff into another both sides do itâ„¢ wankfest.

• Taylor Marsh November 10, 2012 at 8:00 am #

Seriously November 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm

YOU and others doubting Obama’s sincerity, but more importantly, are spending time debating what his tears mean, are what’s wrong with American politics.

Take a clue from Secretary Clinton who “can’t stand whining.”

You should be embarrassed. But then you’d have to have moved on from permanent Hillary remorse syndrome. She doesn’t need this defense. She’s running the world.

Kudos to Sandmann.

• jjamele November 10, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Oh for Christ’s sake, you have got to be kidding Taylor!! YOU are the one who posted this “story’ in the first place, now you are angry because we are arguing about it? Seriously??

And in your efforts to “calm me down,” you’ve reacted to my skepticism by suggesting that I’m suffering from “Obama Derangement Syndrome” (I can’t have a different opinion- I must be just filled with hate, even DERANGED) and now you’ve moved on to “Hillary Remorse Syndrome.”

The topper is that you seem to be suggesting that doubting Obama’s sincerity is something that should make us “embarrassed.” Yeah, because Obama has done NOTHING over the past four years to make us doubt his sincerity.

Good. F–ing. Lord.

9. whitepaw November 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

I am with jjamele re: this site of late. Although I very much respect Taylor’s writings, it seems that some posters (and I will reference SEC here), are given the freedom to personally attack other posters who do not agree woth them. There are more than a few who have been called ractsts, etc. I was recently called a megalomaniac. If this is a site that welcomes personal attacks on those that disagree, then so be it. Just makes it an unpleasant place to visit.

• Solo November 9, 2012 at 11:10 pm #

I am surprised that you didn’t go with your usual he seemed “angry” meme!

• lynnette November 10, 2012 at 7:32 am #

Hi Whitepaw,
      How’ve you been? :)

• Lake Lady November 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

Hi lynnette~ How is retirement?

Whitepaw~ good to see you here too.

Ladywalker’s comment below pretty much matches my thinking and yours too lynnette.I am happy to see more of Obama’s human side, which I think is always on display whenever he is around his kids, otherwise not so much, until lately

I wish along with Taylor that he had been a little more directive with his people but they are all smart and I think they will stay involved, how could you not after their experiences with him. They have to feel so good about their work.

I just have never thought that Obama was particulary progressive nor that he particulary liked the Dem party, He seems rather to regard it as a burden he had to put up with to get where he wanted to go.

Lucky for him the WJC does not see it that way.

In a sane political world in which people could hold several opposing thoughts in their heads at once it is my belief that he would be a liberal Republican. He did not have that choice open to him and he knew the Dems would embrace him with their dreams of racial equality.

He seems to think of himself as more or less an island of intellect. He is a complex human being that is for sure. Lots of books will be written trying to deciper the Obama heart.

• whitepaw November 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

Hi LL as well.. I agree with your post.

• lynnette November 10, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Hi Lake Lady,
          I’m well. I’ve beencaring for my mom who now lives with me. Hope all is well with you.

• whitepaw November 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

Hi Lynnette — Thanks for asking. I am fine. Hope you are as well :)

• lynnette November 10, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Thanks, Whitepaw. Good to see you.

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 10, 2012 at 7:39 am #

Politics is a full contact sport…anybody can play…don’t bring no weak shit. Seems ya’ll folks need to put yo shit on a workout regime….yo shit is so weak it ain’t even diarrhea.

• Taylor Marsh November 10, 2012 at 8:08 am #

whitepaw November 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Re the “racist” comment above, you were temporarily banned because you joined in on attacks against Trayvon Martin that were extremely inappropriate. Being called a “megalomaniac” is not in the same category, though sech goes way too far too many times, including below.

The post election season is always heated, so I let people in this thread run a bit wild. I was hoping my comment to jjamele would calm things down, but it didn’t. I’d rather you all police yourselves, which hasn’t happened here. So be it.

• whitepaw November 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

I never attacked Trayvon Martin. I thought and still think that a jury needs to decide re: that case…. and all cases.

10. jinbaltimore November 10, 2012 at 3:57 am #

i.e. “You guys have made me so proud. Now whaddya say we fire up some drones and take out some innocent bystanders. Just for kicks.”

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 10, 2012 at 7:37 am #

TM Note: This comment is inappropriate and commenters should refrain from this type of insult.

Promise to stand near by?

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 10, 2012 at 8:24 am #

Sorry Ms. Marsh….sometimes I just get a little carried away.

• Taylor Marsh November 10, 2012 at 8:26 am #

Thanks sech.

I understand. When I call you on it, you apologize publicly, which is more than I can say for others.

• jinbaltimore November 10, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Haha! Would expect no less from you sec…death is so fricking funny!

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

Now, now…I’ve already been castigated for responding once!!

11. ladywalker68 November 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

For what it is worth, regarding the President’s sincerity, if you remember any of my posts back in 2008 and between then and this past summer, I have never been what I would consider a “fan”. Back then, I didn’t buy, nor was I impressed by his speeches nor what he was selling. You see, those of us who were actually listening to what he said during his first campaign were not at all surprised and didn’t feel let down or betrayed because he pretty much did what he said he was going to do. Of course that is minus a few “out there”, grandiose, downright stupid promises such as promising to cut the deficit by the margin he promised or whatever BS he said that he didn’t deserve more than one term if he didn’t do <>> which seems to be the point of many who were against him this time around.

Whatever. I put a promise like that in the same “Dumb Promises Made by Politicians Running for President” bucket right along with Little Lord Mitten’s BS proclamation that he would create 12 million jobs without being able to provide the average voter with any clue as to how he was going to do this.

But I digress.

As a a long-time Obama skeptic, I did not feel that this moment, of which Taylor wrote so thoughtfully and eloquently, was in any way scripted or fake or acting or just the same old Obama hood-winking folks meme.

In fact, my impression is that I have seen much more of Obama as a man and a human being in the final days of this campaign than ever before.

Am I a now an “Obamabot thinking he can do know wrong and everything he does is golden” convert now? Absolutely not!

But as one who felt I was making a choice between the lesser of 2 evils in this election, it did make me feel a little better about the man inside of the candidate (and the President) that I voted for this time around.

Just my little old opinion, for what it is worth. Peace.

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Indeed ladywalker…in the first election I was an outright Obama hater…I was mucho pissEanato’d off at the primary he ran…but he won the general and I said I would watch his actions and support him when he did what to me was the right thing.
      He has made me unhappy and he has made me happy.
      He has not by any stretch of the imagination been what I would have hoped for as an ideal President…but he HAS been… when pushed to the wall…willing to do the right thing. Frankly that is all I really care about. I am a flaming liberal-radical in my heart of hearts…but I am a realist.
      The results of this election are the best we could realistically hope for. ESPECIALLY when you consider the naked hatred, bigotry, misogyny, homophobia and xenophobia that would have become official American policy had the election gone otherwise.

12. fangio November 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Sources in the White House have said, off the record of course, that Obama studied the scene from ” When Harry Met Sally, ” where Meg Ryan fakes an orgasm. Chris Christie provided emotional support.

• angels81 November 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

I assume this is your attempt at being funny? …. Fail.

• fangio November 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

I don’t expect dead people to get it.

• angels81 November 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Wow! what a come back, your intellect is just mind boggling, how do you do it? It must be tough to be someone like you to come up with those amazing zingers.

• fangio November 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

To paraphrase you, ” Don’t get your DEPENDS in a bunch. “

• Lake Lady November 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

Hey Angels and sech…looks like my machine is going to let me make more than one comment before freezing up.

Wasn’t election night a blast? The senate races really give me hope. I think I am suprised and so happy to see the truely progressive forces out there. It looks like our youth are going to give it a run.

One of the best things was the miles of black people in Florida and really all over who would not let themselves be repressed..it was beautiful.

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 10, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

I LOVED election night!!! It was TOTAL fun. The energy from the people was AMAZING!!!! And even better was the repugnantklan/teabagger/UBERChristian heads exploding all over the place the next day!!!

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Nor anyone else with a functioning brain…fangio is to buisy projecting.

• fangio November 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

I guess that would eliminate you; by the way, do you ever get tired of licking Angels81′s butt?

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 10, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

How eloquent…how…nearly poetical…stay classy fangio. Your class is surpassed only by your intellect. And your ability to project…..

13. jinbaltimore November 10, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

i.e. “You all make me so proud. And you’re going to do greater things. You’re going to help me gut Social Security, for instance.”

• fangio November 10, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

Without a doubt.

• Solo November 10, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

Your like a right winger who likes to complain about Obama taking their guns away but when asked for an example of this they cant! Give me one example of Obama trying to “gut” social security that doesn’t only exist in your paranoid fantasies!

• jinbaltimore November 11, 2012 at 4:01 am #

I’m surprised he hasn’t asked you for your help directly yet, Solo. No worries, I’m sure you will carry that water when asked.

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 11, 2012 at 8:01 am #

You ask for facts and reality from the outer fringes of the conspiracy based universe?

• jinbaltimore November 11, 2012 at 10:28 am #

LOL, does the name Simpson-Bowles mean anything to you? Try google.

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 11, 2012 at 11:40 am #

Does the term Obama hate syndrome mean anything to you? Try Google …while you’re at it google santorum…you seem to have some on your chin judging by the shit you continue to spew.

• jinbaltimore November 11, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

Hee hee…nice attempt at distraction; will consider nerve struck.
            (It’s like playing with a sick child)

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 11, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Jin,jin,jin….flatter yourself all you want….nerve struck? Honey…you and your pathetic attempts at witty are simple amusement.

• Solo November 12, 2012 at 2:00 am #

Notice how he just ignored what I said and went straight to the insults?

• jinbaltimore November 12, 2012 at 3:30 am #

You must be referring to Secular; if not see reply at 10:28 a.m….Decided to respond to the pile-on, since you guys seem like you might be the same person.

thanks for playing, though!

• secularhumanizinevoluter November 12, 2012 at 5:22 am #

It really is informative and entertaining in a sad sortta way to watch the flea bitten, mange ravaged one trick ponies like jin stumble through their repertoire.
            I am reminded of the kid who spent his/her/it’s time in between episodes of getting their bottom paddled at the playground exclaiming to the world
            “I’M the WINNER!” no matter how many times they had been humiliated or shown to be totally lacking when it comes to the game. Life, politics…a full contact sport…everyone has to play…don’t bring no weak shit. Someone forgot to tell jin…he/she/they only brought a fart…not even weak shit.

• jinbaltimore November 12, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

aww, bless your heart

14. Betsy November 10, 2012 at 11:11 pm #

Hi all!! I loved that video and saw the side of a man who was totally moved by how loyal his staff was. And I was moved also, just as I was 4 years ago when Hillary cried in NH.
    I also read with laughter the arguing and name calling which I found interesting. I’m thrilled that the dems won this election. From Claire McCaskill knocking that crazy to the curb was great. And it was even great that Mourdoch (spelling) was beaten in Indiana. And let’s not forget that West lost in FL. Poor guy just can’t believe it. I
    I have to say folks that the last four years Obama did do quite a bit. Not everything by far, but I hope as he said yesterday, he has a mandate and his pen is ready. I just pray that he doesn’t give into Boehner and Cantor. Although I believe that Cantor is a bigger problem then Boehner.
    Anyway, this old lady here is happy to see what occurred Tuesday night. I think it also shows that people aren’t fooled by the money floating into the airwaves. It was so disgusting. I got to the point where I muted the TV. The biggest arguments in my house were when my husband wanted to check what Fox had to say. I told him I wouldn’t give them the time of day because I find them absolutely horrible.
    As far as Colorado goes I was shocked to see that my state actually voted for legalizing pot. After all, in my county we have Focus on the Family and many other radicals. I guess we are no longer the norm in this beautiful state, thank goodness.

• angels81 November 11, 2012 at 9:53 am #

Hi Betsy, good to hear from you, miss your wisdom around here. We seem to have a lot of people around here who always read the worst into Obama no matter what it is he’s done, and this is a prime example of that. God forbid the man is human and has emotions.

15. secularhumanizinevoluter November 11, 2012 at 8:04 am #

” The biggest arguments in my house were when my husband wanted to check what Fox had to say. I told him I wouldn’t give them the time of day because I find them absolutely horrible.”

Once it was clear…and pretty early it was clear…President Obama was going to be re-elected Fuax not news and wingnut radio were a plain ol BLAST watching and listening to repugnantklan/teabaggin/UBERChristofascist’s heads exploding!!! More fun then I’ve had in DECADES!!!!!

16. Betsy November 11, 2012 at 11:23 am #

What I find so totally pathetic are people (and many are my own relatives) who said to me, “I’m a cradle republican so I must vote the party line”. I have a cousin in WI who really feels that way. It blows my mind. My husband wrote her an email and told her it was time to get rid of her diaper and put her big girl panties on. LOL

Anyway, good to see you angels and you too sec. I do come here frequently just to read what people have to say.

I certainly am one who wasn’t at all happy with Obama especially when he settled with the ACA rather than single payer, but I also knew that the “blue dogs” weren’t going to go along with him. I truly can’t believe that Manchin calls himself a democrat. It’s beyond my comprehension how people really think.

Anyway, Obama has the mandate and he’d better use it. Maybe I’m naive but I believe he will really try. Right now my daughter is so upset that he has people in the admin that are linked to Mansanto. She worked very hard for Prop 37 in CA and she feels that Obama should start working on getting GMOs out of our food system.