Erick Erickson and Romney’s Cannibalism by Consultants

THIS IS an extraordinary autopsy by Erick Erickson on the money blood letting and political canabalism that occurred in the Republican Party during the 2012 presidential election cycle.

I’d love to hear a response from any conservatives I know lurk around here, including commenters that have been absent since Obama won reelection.

In begins like this…

If money is the root of all evil, for the Republican Party evil is located on the fifth floor of 66 Canal Center Plaza, Alexandria, VA 22314.

Strip away the candidate and coalition and it is on the fifth floor of 66 Canal Center Plaza where the seeds of Mitt Romney’s ruin and the RNC’s get out the vote (GOTV) effort collapsed – bled to death by charlatan consultants making millions off the party, its donors, and the grassroots.

66 Canal Center Plaza is also why Jeff Larson, the Chief of Staff of the Republican National Committee, should not be put in charge of the autopsy of the GOP’s defeat. Multiple sources confirm to me that RNC Chairman Reince Priebus has already put Larson in charge of the so called autopsy.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Erick Erickson and Romney’s Cannibalism by Consultants

1. Cujo359 November 29, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

Doesn’t seem like all that long ago we were reading the same sort of thing about Democratic consultants (see Crashing The Gates, etc.). Think maybe the parties depend too much on them, or have too little idea how to evaluate their usefulness? Or is it just another sign of the decay and corruption in our leaders? (not a dichotomy, BTW. No reason it can’t be both, or something else…)

• Cujo359 November 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

Reading Erickson’s piece, I see the same sorts of corrupt relationships that those Democratic consultants had with their clients. The consultants sell the clients commercials and other “services”, like software. Looks like the GOP has the same racket going, with the added bonus of telephone services. Not too surprising.

2. Taylor Marsh November 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Absolutely, Cujo359. Not surprising at all.

3. secularhumanizinevoluter November 29, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

GREAT! I LOVE IT! Hope they keep it up only MORE so.

4. giantslor November 29, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Wait — so farming out essential functions to private entities is not the solution, Erick? You telling me that central planning is far more efficient and effective? Well, isn’t that interesting.

• Cujo359 November 29, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

I can’t speak for Erickson, but that’s not what I’d be saying. What I’d be saying is that when you don’t have a means of evaluating someone’s talent, which seems to be the case with political consultants, then hiring them and paying them outrageous amounts of money to get things done probably isn’t the best idea. That’s true no matter what kind of organization you’re running.

Politicians running campaigns are going to be people in a hurry. They need to set up an organization, sometimes a very large and extensive one, in a very short amount of time, and most of that organization won’t exist the day after election day. Getting people to do what’s right, and not take advantage, is especially tricky under those conditions. Just look at the contracting situation in Iraq after Saddam was ousted as an example.

I could go on, but I’ll stop now, except to add that the other thing that the Iraq situation reminds me is that when no one at the top cares whether or how things get done, that’s when things can really get bad. That’s something we should think about when we discuss these consultants – who hires them. Usually, they’re the folks we’re considering voting for.