“I am here to attest and affirm that our faith and belief in God is central to the American story and informs the values we’ve expressed in our party’s platform,” Strickland, who chaired the party’s platform committee, read. “In addition, President Obama recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and our party’s platform should as well.” [CNN]

THE PLATFORM issues of faith replacing “God” has been the talk of right-wing radio, but also made Piers Morgan’s show.

The issue of Jerusalem caused quite a scene when Sen. Durbin was asked the question on Fox News Channel. Paul Ryan, Romney’s running mate, said the omission “undermines our nation’s support for our ally, Israel.”

Now the platform has been amended, with Debbie Wasserman-Schultz the DNC chairwoman, addressing it:

Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz said in a statement after that vote that “the platform is being amended to maintain consistency with the personal views expressed by the President and in the Democratic Party platform in 2008.

“Jerusalem is and will remain the capital of Israel. The parties have agreed that Jerusalem is a matter for final status negotiations. It should remain an undivided city accessible to people of all faiths,” she said. “It has been the policy of both Republican and Democratic administrations for decades that Jerusalem is a final status issue to be negotiated directly between the two parties, as part of discussions to achieve a two-state solution that secures the Jewish state and homeland.

“Our party platform already expresses strong support for the peace process and makes clear the steps that any Palestinian partner must take to be a part of such a process – recognizing Israel’s right to exist, rejecting violence, and adhering to existing agreements,” she continued.

As for omitting a statement about Jerusalem being the capital of Israel, it was just plain stupid. It’s another basic political issue on which no nuance can be offered in American politics. A water’s edge issue. It’s also something I was pretty sure would be rectified, while waiting for it to happen.

, , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to News Desk: Democrats Amend Platform to Include “God,” and Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel

1. JoeCHI September 5, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

Idiots.

2. Solo September 5, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Obama and the Dems caved in 5, 4, 3, 2…………..!

• newdealdem1 September 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

I read the original statement in the platform where the word “God” is excluded. The statement spoke about faith and its importance in our personal and public lives which I thought was well composed even if I am not religious albeit recognize the importance in other people’s lives.

Now, the Dems have caved again to the nonsense spewed by the unforgiving right wing religious zealots and religious totalitarians who have infiltrated and overtaken the Republican party. WHY?

This is one reason I’m disgusted with my party and am voting for Dr. Jill Stein.

And, this is the day after Gov. Patrick gave that superior speech last night wherein he rousingly chided his brother and sister liberals by saying this:

Open Quote:

“If we want to win elections in November and keep our country moving forward, if we want to earn the privilege to lead, it’s time for Democrats to stiffen our backbone and stand up for what we believe,” Patrick said.

End Quote:

I stood up and clapped when he said this.

I suppose the DNC’s ears were plugged with wax at the time of Patrick’s speech!

Lillian Hellman, one of my favorite playwrights, said so many quote-worthy things in her plays (as well as in her testimony to Joseph McCarthy’s “House Un-American Activities Committee”) said this (which I’m quoting because it’s relevant to this lattest patheic Dem cave in to the ratfcuking GOP SOB’s)

This is from her play “The Little Foxes”

“There are two kinds of people in the world: the ones who eat the earth (the current GOP) and the ones who stand by and watch them do it (the current Dems)”

I think there are more than two kinds of people but for purposes of this post, it fits in perfectly.

• Solo September 5, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Dr. Jill Stein? Knock yourself out!

• newdealdem1 September 5, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Solo, you use your precious vote to use as you will and I will do the same. Excuse me for having a free will, thank you very much.

• jjamele September 5, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

You were more polite to Solo than I usually am. All it cares about is Winning Elections. What comes afterwards is of no importance.

Solo is consistently amused at the idea that some people still refuse to join in the sign-waving parade marching to the polls to happily vote for the lesser of two evils. So it feels compelled to snark on the spoilsports who won’t play the rigged game.

• Solo September 5, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

jjamele: Lesser of two evils? LOL! Do u believe gay service members would agree that O is the lesser of two evils? Do u think the relatives of Osama Bin Laden’s victims would? How about who the people who still have jobs at Chrysler and GM? What about the US service people who have been killed in Iraq because that war is now over? It’s easy being a miserable complainer isn’t it? For the record your politeness or lack thereof means zero to me. Type what you will! If the President weighing in to change the Dem Party platform helps us get to full implementation of ACA January 2014 then that is a trade I will be willing to make all day long, everyday!

• jjamele September 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

I notice that you don’t argue against the point that the Democrats caved- like a whiny child, you instead jump in and dare someone to mention it.

I’ll give you credit for at least not claiming that the Democrats DIDN’T cave- that’s certainly what I expected of you. And yes, did take about five seconds.

3. guyski September 5, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

Sounds like old testament stuff:

God is offended (aken out of the platform),
    God is vengeful (storms with lightning/stadium cancelled)
    God is appeased (name back in platform).

;)

4. Jane Austen September 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

As a person of “faith” I was quite happy with the word faith in the platform. Why do the Dems have to capitulate every time the Repubs come out and start their inane rhetoric? Or should I say insane? I feel as though this country is being held hostage to a small minority.

• Taylor Marsh September 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

Caving to conservatives is the scourge of the Obama era and it’s because of Pres. Barack Obama’s lack of fealty to ideology and aversion to confrontation on principle, unless it polls well and he sees the proof.

It’s killing the Democratic Party by revealing weakness at the top that the base, activists, and passionate people like you, JA, don’t resemble.

• jjamele September 5, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

I hope that there’s no truth to the rumor that the Democratic Platform will, in fact, be amended to endorse the election of Mitt Romney in November, in order to appease Conservatives who claim that it is “too partisan.”

It’s certainly an excellent sign when the Democrats can’t even write a platform without taking advice and accepting pressure from the Republicans, isn’t it? Gee, I can’t WAIT for Obama’s second term!

• casualobserver September 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

I appreciate you can retain a sense of humor. This blog needs to realize a couple of peoples’ continual nattering about things they don’t like in the world is hardly the stuff of world concern….especially since the world generally ignores them at every turn.

5. Uh-oh September 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

This is so lame. Do these jackasses actually believe that a majority of the voting public gives a rip about whether the word “God” is in a platform, or what the capitol of ANOTHER COUNTRY is???? Everyone already knows that the platform is a meaningless exercise that will have no bearing whatsoever on whatever the government does. And as far as the capitol of Israel goes, that is none of our concern anyway.

6. PWT September 6, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

Just another example of Mr. Obama’s super awesome managerial prowess.

7. Cujo359 September 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

How does this not make Democrats look like pandering jackasses? Why not just say that they believe that everyone’s religious views are included in their “big tent” (provided they’re not complete lunatics, of course)?

As for Jerusalem, good grief. When are enough Americans going to get a clue on that issue so this sort of thing is actually left to the nations involved to work out something? I don’t like the idea of a divided city, but I don’t think anyone else has come up with a workable solution, either. The nations involved are just going to have to work out something they can all live with.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Democrats put God & Jerusalem back in the platform...kicking and screaming » Datechguy's Blog - September 5, 2012

[...] Taylor Marsh: It’s really pretty stunning to think people whose living is made in politics would omit the word “God” in an official party platform. Faith worked fine for me, but then I’m a rebel Episcopalian that prefers contemplative meditation, so I tend not to get upset about things like this. [...]

2. Anety - September 12, 2012

Websites worth visiting…

[...]here are some links to sites that we link to because we think they are worth visiting[...]……