News Desk: Apple Wins Big in Samsung Suit

In all counts but the claims about iPad design, the jury ruled overwhelmingly in Apple’s favor. [Wired]

THE JURY SLAPS Samsung with six patent violations and hands down $1.05 billion in damages as one of the largest intellectual-property awards in history.

From the Wall Street Journal:

Nine jurors delivered a sweeping victory to Apple Inc. in a high-stakes court battle against Samsung Electronics Co., awarding the Silicon Valley company $1.05 billion in damages and providing ammunition for more legal attacks on its mobile-device rivals.

Jurors Friday found that Samsung infringed all but one of the seven patents at issue in the case–a patent covering the physical design of the iPad. They found all seven of Apple’s patents valid–despite Samsung’s attempts to have them thrown out. They also decided Apple didn’t violate any of the five patents Samsung asserted in the case.

For the record, I recently bought the Galaxy S3 and am enthralled with it. I’ve used my husband’s Apple iPhone and just couldn’t warm to it. The Galaxy S3 is an amazing device, with the natural elements designed into it a hit with me. I also have a Samsung laptop, with backlit keyboard, because I work late into the night, which is an amazing machine. The video above explains well what using the Galaxy S3 is like, capturing the elements that hook the user to the device.

I guess I’m now supposed to feel guilty, but I just don’t. That Apple will get a whopping fee and vindication soothes whatever guilt I’m supposed to feel.

, , , , ,

6 Responses to News Desk: Apple Wins Big in Samsung Suit

1. spincitysd August 25, 2012 at 12:36 am #

Just to let you know both the Mac Air and the Macbook Pro have backlit keyboards. And macs run both MS word plus there own Word Processing App–Pages. I doubt you could afford the Retina Mac though, man that thing sits in nose-bleed territory.

I’m still waiting for the other shoe to drop as the Samsung case was only a way for Apple to get at the real target: Google. I wonder what happens next as the Mountain View company deals with the wrath of Cupertino.

Oh, BTW, under no circumstances upgrade to Windows 8 when it comes out; it is going to be a dog. Maybe Cujo359 can interest you in a nice Linux distro?

2. Taylor Marsh August 25, 2012 at 9:01 am #

Windows 7 is terrific, but I’ve been warned about 8, so your additional heads up matches that.

I looked at Macbook Pro & Mac Air, but just didn’t want to deal with the switch.

Absolutely re Google!

3. Cujo359 August 25, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

Software patents. Ick. I’m not for banning them entirely, as quite a few folks in the industry are, but there’s something crazy about letting computer companies protect easily-implemented innovations until long after their usefulness as a competitive advantage is gone.

According to that Wired article, none of Apple’s hardware patents were upheld.

While I don’t know what the period of time was that Samsung was supposedly infringing on these patents, but if it was more than a couple of years, then this seems like a sad thing for consumers. There’s a benefit to consumers in competition, and there can’t be any real competition when gigantic companies can tie up their competitors in court with things like this.

In short, I mostly agree with this guy. It’s a great day for the giants in the industry, and a lousy day for the rest of us.

• Taylor Marsh August 25, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

Great article.

A very rich company just got a little richer, but everybody else – developers, consumers, companies – lost.

I said this exact same thing to a friend.

But I’ve been around since ’96 & saw Netscape fall, with Bill Gates a real villain to me in many respects.

I’m not a tech weenie, but I couldn’t do what I’ve done since being one of the first writers on the web without them, so I’ve heard a fair amount of bitching along the way.

Thanks again, Cujo359.

4. T-Steel August 25, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 as well and it’s a devastating powerful, easy to use, and useful smartphone. I’ve always been an Android user and like you Taylor, couldn’t warm up to the iPhone.

What’s really eating Apple is that for every one iPhone sold, four Androids sold as well. You would think that iPhone is the undisputed ruler (thanks to great marketing) but they aren’t. Also, the iPad and iPhone ARE Apple. They aren’t as diversified (Macbooks aren’t sells slayers). Wrath of Cupertino needs to be smart about going after many tentacled monster that is Google.

• Taylor Marsh August 25, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Devastating power is right, T-Steel.

You are so right re: Google battle.