BOB COSTAS FULFILLS his promise to remember those athletes killed 40 years ago, calling out the IOC for not taking a moment tonight to remember.

From the Hollywood Reporter:

“The Israeli athletes now enter behind their flag-bearer Shahar Zubari,” said Costas. “These games mark the 40th anniversary of the 1972 tragedy in Munich, when 11 Israeli coaches and athletes were murdered by Palestinian terrorists. There have been calls from a number of quarters for the IOC to acknowledge that, with a moment of silence at some point in tonight’s ceremony. The IOC denied that request, noting it had honored the victims on other occasions. And, in fact, this week [IOC president] Jacques Rogge led a moment of silence before about 100 people in the athlete’s village. Still, for many, tonight, with the world watching, is the true time and place to remember those who were lost, and how and why they died.”

NBC OLYMPICS is offering livestreaming coverage from the web or your mobile device for the first time in Olympic history.

On a political note regarding Israel, on the day before Mitt Romney visits that country, Pres. Obama strengthened Israeli-U.S. military tied, as well as funded the missile defense package called “Iron Dome.” From Reuters:

President Barack Obama signed a measure on Friday to strengthen U.S.-Israeli military ties, a move that could score points with American Jewish voters on the eve of Republican rival Mitt Romney’s highly publicized visit to Israel. Obama also used the White House bill-signing ceremony to announce he was releasing $70 million in approved funding for Israel’s short-range rocket shield known as “Iron Dome,” a project backed strongly by the powerful U.S. pro-Israel lobby.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Let the 2012 Olympic Games Begin… Bob Costas Calls Out IOC, Mentions Munich Massacre

1. T-Steel July 27, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

The London Olympics opening ceremony was GREAT! I really enjoyed it and I loved the history angle. But I still in awe of the 2008 Beijing Opening Ceremony. What China did was historic, spectacular, and flat out amazing. But London didn’t even try to exceed Beijing. They kept things within themselves and did a great job.

As to the games, Japanese football (men and women) are a force to be reckoned with. The men already have upset Spain. I love football (soccer) and I’m following all the games. I’m also pulling hard for the women’s gymnastic and both track and field teams.

I LOVE THE OLYMPICS! :mrgreen:

• T-Steel July 27, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

American women’s gymnastics and American track and field teams…..

2. Taylor Marsh July 27, 2012 at 11:06 pm #

I enjoyed this *much* more than the China ceremony.

But then I’m a former Broadway babe, steeped in this stuff. The theater angle, the music, all of it.

The Olympics are just GREAT.

The Queen’s entrance was AMAZING!

3. fairmindedindependent July 28, 2012 at 12:42 am #

It was a great opening, I liked the history part of it because I am such a history nerd, politics and history my two favorites in school, anyway I am sure that the Queen didn’t really jump from the helicopter right? I just don’t see the Queen really doing that. But she was a awesome sport. I loved when the kids started singing “God Save The Queen” that touched Queen Elizabeth. President Obama has been letting Isreal do what it wants look at the new settlements in the West Bank. Republicans just like to say Obama is not a friend just to gain points and votes of Jewish voters. Anyway the Conserative media is pounding Britian over their treatment of Mitt Romney, bringing up World War II among other things. Mitt Romney has not only ticked the British people off now he got the Republicans ticked at David Cameron and the British media and people, way to go Romney. Go USA and win the gold medals. I am sure Brazil will go all out in 2016 opening ceremony, they know how to throw a party. As far as the Winter Olympics goes, I am sure I am not going to watch, Russia is not in my good graces right now and I am sure many others.

4. fairmindedindependent July 28, 2012 at 1:02 am #

I also have to admit that hugh baby in the middle of the stadium was a bit creepy LOL !! I was also in shock that they did a segment on the National Healthcare System they have in Britain. They are proud of it, that would never happen over here, the Republicans would go to the field and set the hospital beds on fire screaming socialism LOL !!

5. RAJensen July 28, 2012 at 6:49 am #

I prefer the Winter Olympics to the summer games because of my ethnic background. All four of my grandparents emigrated from Norway which is second to the US in total medals and Gold Medals in the Winter Olympics. Both grandfathers jumped ship in Brooklym a hundred years ago, sent for their wives and spent their entire careers in the US merchent marines which makes me the a third generation ‘anchor’ baby of illegal immigrants.

The IOC allows the host nation to introduce a new Olympic event. Rumor has it that ‘Mitt the Twit’ in an attempt make amends to the British people will be entering the UK’s new Olympic event:

• secularhumanizinevoluter July 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

i KNEW it was going to be the Twit of the year! LOVED Monty Python! Sortta how I view the repugnantklan leadership if you can call them leaders….only EVIL twits.

6. Ramsgate July 28, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

It figures that Costas would call out the IOC on Munich. Its the “American” thing to do. Such an omission by an American sportscaster would be the equivalent of a Romney’s gaffe. If he did not mention it, he could wind up never hosting another Olympic event. :-)