Romney Expects Allies to Downplay Good Economic News

Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign asked Florida Governor Rick Scott to tone down his statements heralding improvements in the state’s economy because they clash with the presumptive Republican nominee’s message that the nation is suffering under President Barack Obama, according to two people familiar with the matter. – Romney Campaign Said To Ask Scott To Downplay Job Gains

DOWNPLAY GOOD ECONOMIC news in the battleground state of Florida, which is showing signs of recovery, because it doesn’t help Republicans win in November. That’s the Romney message. And people wonder why even Republicans don’t like their guy?

Republicans are also hoping to hype shaky summer recovery news that’s being caused by states laying off workers in an ode to austerity, which would bring more of the same, ala Paul Ryan’s budget that Romney embraces.

Meanwhile, the above Obama campaign ad received 4 Pinocchios from Glen Kessler of the Washington Post, his most derisive review.

Quite a pair we have to choose between for president, isn’t it?

Unless of course you’re stepping outside the binary choice, because you’ve come to grips with the fact that the voters don’t control who wins the presidency the people with the money do.

, , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Romney Expects Allies to Downplay Good Economic News

1. Cujo359 June 21, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

He sounds more like his Democratic counterpart every day.

Republicans control the legislature in Florida, as well as having the governor in their party. It would be pretty foolish of them to say that Florida’s economy sucks right now, no matter how convenient that might be for the guy running for President.

• Taylor Marsh June 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

heh-heh… Yeah, but this guy, I mean, really, Cujo359. He’s some piece of work.

Both of them are!

2. Ga6thDem June 21, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

Honestly Taylor, Obama and Romney DESERVE each other. I could very well imagine Obama saying the same thing.

3. T-Steel June 21, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

My barber (a hardcore Obama supporter in ’08 and a confused voter in ’12) said something over the weekend that, well, just “affected” me (paraphrasing a bit):

Well T, it took a black President to really show how messed up the whole Presidential system is my brother. And you know why it took a black man? Because the 1st black dude was eager to please every everyone because he’s the first black President. But at the same time he thinking too much instead of a bit of thinking and some big damn action. The Prez should have came into office and became the angry black man for jobs. Just a bitter, pissed off, black guy that rammed any kind of mass jobs initiatives, programs, or whatever down his rivals throat. But noooo! He goes all gravy mushy. Prez just like the dude trying to be Prez. I need a drink.

Don’t really have much to say. :lol:

• Taylor Marsh June 21, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Wow. Just. Wow. :shock:

• jjamele June 21, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

During the 2008 campaign, he tried to be all things to all people. That’s a typical strategy for winning, and to be expected.

Unfortunately, he’s tried to do the same thing as President. Doesn’t work. Never has.

And apparently, he doesn’t have a Plan B. Because he’s so busy worrying about what the people who want him beaten will say, he’s basically paralyzed.

And, therefore, so are we.

• Taylor Marsh June 22, 2012 at 12:34 am #

Just to be clear, I’m not paralyzed.

If you choose to be paralyzed that’s on you.

As you saw from my column on Sen. Gillibrand, I have no trouble giving credit where it’s due, but when the Democratic elite do otherwise I’ll take them on and tell readers why they deserve it. I’ve given Pres. Obama credit when he’s earned it, too.

I have no animus for Democrats and they can be useful. But mostly they’re the problem not the solution, because most Democrats are conservative today. Why progressives think they belong or have a place in the Dem Party is hilarious to me.

Being liberal and not accepting Blue Dogism or any likeness thereof anymore is where I’ll continue to stand.

I’m one political writer. The only power I have is purpose, truth and the firm belief that liberalism is the only thing that can right the American ship, and I’m fortunate enough to know how to write.

As a liberal, I know I’m a minority, because everyone’s bought into the system that’s killing us and it’s acting like crack on them. They can’t shake it and because they’re addicted don’t even know they’re buying the Democratic version of Republicanism.

Not me, baby. I’ve unhooked from the the mother ship because I believe power doesn’t come from the inside, but from the outside making the elite miserable. Enough people like me on the left and maybe one day we’ll have something. This should have already happened this year, because Pres. Obama earned a primary challenger, but no one wanted to jump.

Progressives still don’t get that Obama & the Dem Party expect their vote and don’t think they should have to work for it all the way up until November. That’s insane, unless you’re still dependent on belonging a political party that is one step left of Republicans and that’s only using you for your vote, then doing whatever they want most of the time. Anything progressive is either an accident or a bone.

People who understand power have no respect for a chump.

I wrote a column for U.S. News & World Report about a “tea party for the left.” It stands today.

• jjamele June 22, 2012 at 9:10 am #

I meant the system is paralyzed- the system, and therefore the country. Not individuals.

I’m voting for Rocky Anderson and will waste no more money, sweat or tears on the Fear the Alternative Corpo-Democracts.

4. newdealdem1 June 21, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m now reading Volume 4 of Robert Caro’s masterpiece bio of LBJ “The Passage of Power”.

When LBJ became POTUS and he wanted the Civil Rights Act to become law and one of his advisers cautioned him not to “rock the boat”, not to use all of what we now refer to as “political capital” by pushing to get the Civil Rights Act passed. LBJ’s mother encouraged her children to love books and gave them a sense of duty and responsibility. Johnson graduated from Southwest State Teachers College in San Marcos, Texas, with a bachelor’s degree. While in college, he had combined his studies with a job teaching Mexican American children. He never forgot that experience which instilled in him a sense of fairness for people, for kids who showed a need to learn but were so poor they had little chance at that time to make it like their white, privileged counterparts did. That experience as well as watching his own father lose everything during the depression bringing his family down a notch or two or three in his neck of the woods in Texas also left an indelible mark on his soul and from these experiences with the no frills part of life, LJB, whose hero was FDR, wanted to do right by those less fortunate or who had been deliberately held back in America.

So, when he had the chance, as POTUS to pass the Civil Rights Act (of 1965), one of his advisers advised against using his political capital for such an insurmountable goal. And, LBJ luckily for all of us (who are not in the 1%) didn’t take that advisers counsel when explaining, rhetorically, why he was going to fight for the Civil Rights Act said to him “then, what the hell is the Presidency for” (if not to fight for what is right).

And, that is what separates a POTUS like LBJ from the cold lying calculating clown, Romney and the cold, detached calculating intellectual Obama.

What the hell is the Presidency for, then? Indeed!

• Taylor Marsh June 22, 2012 at 12:36 am #

It’s about how to use power.

There can be fear, which is natural, but there can be no hesitation of doing what must be done. You also can’t be afraid of outcome, but simply trust that you’ll find a way to get done what needs to be done no matter the obstacles or what it takes, and you NEVER compromise on core principles. You may lose a battle or two, but you’ll always be able to come back, because you haven’t sold out through cowardice.

5. newdealdem1 June 22, 2012 at 12:51 am #

Exactly, Taylor. And, I’ve known fear in it’s many forms and have not been brave every single time in my life. Not by any means. It’s taken me a long time, but, I’ve learned how to get through the fear and I’m much better at coping with fear now and have mostly gotten to the other side: the side that makes me wake up in the morning unafraid to look myself in the mirror without wincing – outside of bedhead, etc. lol – (well, if one has a conscience and does care about doing the right thing for the greater good or even if it’s good for oneself and those in one’s personal orbit/ life). It’s not an easy lesson learned but it’s better to have tried with one’s potential and to have failed than to never stand up for one’s beliefs for fear of failure.