Dylan Ratigan Dumps Cable

“People of the United States of America, your Congress is bought. …” – Dylan Ratigan

“Once you’ve said your piece, you can either keep saying it – and then it’s a job, good job, pays well, everybody knows your name, it’s great – or you can decide what you’re going to do about it,” he said. “And the answer is, I don’t know. But I do know, in order to figure it out, I have to dismount.” – Media Decoder, by Brian Stelter

DYLAN RATIGAN will be missed. MSNBC doesn’t have space for what he’s saying, with the top quote above something he wanted Pres. Obama to tell the American people.

As if.

It’s a good place to offer one of the emails I’ve gotten recently from a person who is finding the truth I’m writing a bit disconcerting.

Taylor, I began reading your blog during the 2008 primaries. I was and am a Obama supporter, but I wanted to read what others were saying. I admired after the primaries were over how you became somewhat supportive of Obama. Lately, your writing just depresses me. I would beg to differ with you on it doesn’t matter who wins in Nov. I remember people saying that in 2000. It turns out it did for many, many reasons. Two big reasons are Alito and Roberts as well as Iraq and a long list, too long to name here. – RebeccaZ

At least she didn’t cite poll numbers.

“RebeccaZ” represents a big segment of Democrats who need a lot more Dylan Ratigan and a lot less standard Democratic Party talking points. What is needed is energy to push for a better Congress, not more people pushing Pres. Obama’s reelection. We need more people in Congress standing up to the Executive branch like it was intended.

Economic equity matters more than any other single issue. Democrats once didn’t have to be told this fact. That labor couldn’t sell it in Wisconsin is a catastrophe.

“I think, really, government works better without them,” Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels told “Fox News Sunday,” when asked whether public-worker unions should even exist. – Fox News

Being “depressed” is the proper response to reading the truth I’ve been writing about Obama’s worth to the progressive community. What good is a conservative Democrat in the White House to progressives?

Pres. Obama isn’t nearly as important as electing Elizabeth Warren, which will remain a brutal battle until the end.

That Obama’s moved the country so far right Democrats feel comfortable sticking up for Bain Capital against Pres. Obama reveals just how off course the President has taken the Democratic Party. It was topped by Rep. Barney Frank and Ed Rendell saying labor picked the wrong battle.

Depression is anger turned inward. Unfortunately, there’s absolutely no evidence progressives will own their anger in time and turn it toward the one person deserving it, Pres. Obama, who’s made mush of the Democratic brand.

With the “grand bargain” still percolating, from Simpson-Bowles to the debt ceiling offer, it’s clear Pres. Obama thinks the next generation of blue collar workers can easily work longer and deeper into their sixties. Pres. Obama, along with other conservative Democrats, are leading this charge. Who among them has done the grind of the average working man or woman on an hourly wage, including overtime?

Dylan Ratigan knows and wasn’t afraid to say that Democrats and Republicans suck equally. Partisans and networks don’t like to hear things like this, because it confuses, even depresses, people if you lay out the obvious that something is needed beyond the status quo.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Dylan Ratigan Dumps Cable

1. Art Pronin June 11, 2012 at 1:12 am #

Yea its one suck ass situation. The whole tenor of the national mood is dour and depressed.The challenges the nation faces are immense with DC paralyzed. When Iwas at the tx dem Conv this weekend one pct chair I know well told me- with all this money flooding in places like WI and FOX news blarring all night and day is there any hope to turn the tide? Its a fearful forlorn feeling these days.
    I admit some days Idont read all your columns Taylor. Its just too difficult. All I can advise those activists is in places like Tx is get involved in local matters esp key elections where the impact wi be great. It seems the state Dem parties have much greater conviction than the natl one. For every dem we can get back in the tx house here it will make it harder for sure for the Right to push through is fright fest agenda. You have greater impact locally than nationally esp with the citizens untied crap now flooding the scene.
    They say our political history is a pendulum. It swings way right then back center then left. I think there is truth to this. Its the only hope I see- the pendulum swinging the other way here. Look at France swining away from austerity, Germany appears next etc..

2. Cujo359 June 11, 2012 at 5:41 am #

The only thing I’m surprised by is that he held on this long. I figured he’d be gone after this editorial of his. It took almost ten months before he was gone.

At least he decided to do what he thought was right. It may not be much in the way of hope, but it’s the most hopeful thing I’ve seen in the last few weeks. That someone prominent will actually choose to leave an important post over a matter of principle is something to celebrate these days. So few other progressives in his position would.

3. Joyce Arnold June 11, 2012 at 9:03 am #

Good for Ratigan, and for everyone else willing to challenge the status quo.

4. StrideHyde June 11, 2012 at 9:31 am #

Concentrate on congressional, statewide and local elections. That’s where the rubber meets the road and where non-millionaires can make a difference. I think neither candidate is going to do much with the presidency. Regarding working later in life: the 800 pound gorilla in the room is no one will hire you after you pass your late 50′s. Of course, Obama won’t have to worry about that.

5. mrpister June 11, 2012 at 9:37 am #

My sister reminds me that I warned her in 2008 that her voting for McCain would lead this nation into disaster. She voted for McCain, and the following disaster was just as I predicted.

As regards polls, here’s one of ancedotal insignificance. However, I believe the thinking and feelings associated with this are not isolated nor unique. Other than my sister, everyone I know voted for Obama in 2008. The conclusion that had been reached was that this nation was in trouble, deep trouble. Yes, the economy tanked, but then hadn’t really been good for most people in a long time. New ideas; new approaches were being espoused by Mr. Obama, and in desperation and hope the votes came forth. It is galling that in 2008 we were “enlightened” citizens. Now, questioning the “leadership of Pres. Obama” (an oxymoron), we are racists.

NONE of these people are voting for Obama this year, and the simplest explanation is betrayal. This “grand bargain” talk surfaced before the inauguration, and was a bit disconcerting. Most everything that followed was only worse. The creation of the Health Insurance Profitability Protection Act of 2009 spawned the Josef Goebbels wing of the Republican Party. The results of the 2010 elections can be laid squarely at the feet of Pres. Obama. He allowed Congressional Dems to fall upon his sword, and he’s allowed ever since the transformation of the great unwashed into a proverbial punching bag.

One only needs to look at those 2010 elections to ask themselves this: if Obama let members of his own party swing in the wind, how committed is he to the interests of those of limited means; those struggling with real life without representation?

People like Dylan Ratigan punch back. It’s unseemly to those who (like Pres. Obama) yearn for a more passive discourse from the left side of the aisle. In other words, a silent punching bag. I believe that silence will be deafening this November. As regards the sickness represented by Romney, the Dantean thrill ride he’ll take us on might just split that punching bag wide open.

6. TPAZ June 11, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Taylor, thank you again (too many times now to count) for focusing on an important story. There is “no space” on cable for speaking truth to power says it all.

Goodnight democracy; goodnight America; goodnight a better tomorrow. Hello 21st century, welcome.

7. Lake Lady June 11, 2012 at 11:32 am #

Dylan could no longer work for the man. I will miss him . I hope he runs for something. He is a true independent.