Jon Stewart Calls Out Brian Schweitzer, Lawrence O’Donnell, and Martin Bashir

“I hate Barack Obama more than I love Jesus.” – Jon Stewart on religious conservative bigotry over Mitt’s Mormonism

What a target rich environment.

In the first video below, Stewart uses Schweitzer, O’Donnell and Bashir for target practice, after they make fools of themselves over Romney’s religious preference. “Speaking as a Jew,” Stewart’s religious take down is perfection.

The second video’s subject is Richard Grenell, which has been a disaster for Mitt Romney.

So, as long as we’re talking about the media, let’s also look at the horrific news CNN got this week. They can’t even beat HLN. Buzzfeed offers some advice that’s not bad, starting with their prefab taped segments, but also that Piers Morgan is great on celebrity dish, but the worst on cable when it comes to political analysis.

There’s a reason Fox News Channel leads the pack and that’s because the competition, minus Rachel Maddow, is very weak.

Enjoy the videos, it’s two of Stewart’s best in a long time.

, , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to Jon Stewart Calls Out Brian Schweitzer, Lawrence O’Donnell, and Martin Bashir

1. fairmindedindependent May 4, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

There are things to hit Romney on instead of going after his religious beliefs. As far as CNN, thats really sad that they had the worst ratings in a decade. There lineup is aweful, Anderson Cooper’s talk show is way better than the show he was on CNN, Piers Morgan is horrible, I tryed watching his show, and I switched the channel and never watched again. Larry King is a thousand times better than Piers Morgan. CNN has got to get better hosts for their shows. Erin Burnett is a nice person, but does not have the personally to host a political show. I would rather watch paint dry than watch Wolf Blitzer. CNN better start cleaning house or we could be seeing the end of CNN. MSNBC has some terrible hosts also, for the life of me, I can not understand why they hired Al Sharpton, and Ed Shultz gets on my nerves so bad. Rachel Maddow is fantastic, one of the only ones I like. The morning line-up on MSNBC is way better than there primetime lineup. The weekend show are good too, Melissa Harris and Chris Hayes are pretty good. Current Tv is good too, I actually like that better than MSNBC, maybe thats just me, but they are also in trouble in the ratings department, Time Warner Cable is threatening to let go Current TV which could mean trouble for that network. As for Fox News, the reason they have the ratings they do is because they keep the same hosts in the primetime line-up, and they can count on a large conservative base to watch. It is produced much better also.

• whitepaw May 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Hi FMI — I rarely watch CNN or FOX, but as far as MSNBC goes… I cannot tolerate:

Schultz…………can we say one-sided on everything
      Sharpton….. takes his activism too far… and his show is BORING
      Bashir………..OMG… where do I start
      O’Donnell…. he is rabid in terms of his fury when going after someone… such anger is intolerable.

(The video Taylor posted… shows exactly how despicable Bashir and O’Donnell can be)

I “mostly” like Morning Joe, Dylan… and the other morning shows (the morning shows outside of Morning Joe are more news oriented from what I can tell… Tamryn Hall, Andrea Mitchell, etc.). I do not have it on always… just when I DVR or watch when working from home.. Anyway, my take.

• fairmindedindependent May 4, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

Hi Whitepaw, always like reading your posts. I agree with everything you said about the hosts you were talking about.

• whitepaw May 5, 2012 at 1:34 am #

Thanks! I enjoy your posts as well..

• jjamele May 5, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Al “Tawana Brawley” Sharpton is simply not credible on any topic. And I’m sorry, he’s also pretty unintelligible most of the time (try listening to his show on XM Radio, and see if you understand even every other word.)

Ed Schultz considered running for Congress in 1994 as a Conservative Republican. Now he spends a lot of his time trying to manipulate the Occupy Movement into becoming a voter pool for the Democratic Party.

Rachel Maddow is too pedantic, pondering, and just plain condescending to hold my attention for very long. It takes her forever to get to a point, and she always sounds like the sweet child care worker who thinks her audience needs to be taken to it in baby steps by Doctor Maddow. Her “Moment of Geek” segments might as well be called “Look I’m Smart in Science Too, Aren’t I Amazing?” (Her old radio show included a segment called “Ask Dr Maddow,” in which callers could ask her any question they wanted. I thought it should be called “Ask Rachel to look up something on Wikipedia for you,” until one day Maddow herself said that would make a good name for the segment.

Lawrence O’Donnell is a hyper-partisan bully. ‘Nuff said.

Morning Joe might as well be called “Wall of Noise,” or perhaps “Guys in sweaters taking sexist, dismissive shots at the pretty girl in the room.” Also not worth my time.

There’s not much out there.

• Cujo359 May 4, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

I think it would be nice if they went back to hiring real journalists, and then letting them do their jobs. The CNN people I see on clips on Jon Stewart, or wherever, seem to be folks who have the intellectual curiosity of houseplants.

Of course, that criticism could apply pretty well to the other networks, too.

2. casualobserver May 4, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

Well, Lilia Luciano is now available….oh, that’s right, that’s a news event we’re not going to mention here.

• whitepaw May 4, 2012 at 11:25 pm #

Haha — clever Casual Hal!

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 5, 2012 at 12:08 am #

Maybe they could find that pathetic, dickless weasal James O’Keefe?

3. Cujo359 May 4, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

I’m all for asking candidates who state that they have devout beliefs about what those beliefs are. But it needs to be done to all. If they aren’t on record, ask Catholics if they believe in transubstantiation, and ask all Christians what they think about when life begins and why. Ask Hindus if they think cows are sacred, and ask Jews if they think that their god thinks it’s OK to wipe out their neighbors.

Just about every religion has wacky beliefs of one sort or another. If politicians happen to share those beliefs, then voters ought to know that up front. But it has to be fair game for everyone, not just the religions most of us don’t believe in.

If we can’t do that, then we probably shouldn’t ask those questions of anyone, because that strikes me as being a bit like a religious test for office. I’m not sure how I feel about that, but it definitely shouldn’t be the case that folks from minority religions have to explain themselves, and folks in the majority don’t.

• whitepaw May 5, 2012 at 1:32 am #

Agree Cujo!

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 5, 2012 at 7:47 am #

“Just about every religion has wacky beliefs of one sort or another.”
      NO! REALLY?!!!!

• jjamele May 5, 2012 at 9:28 am #

All the candidates already tell us what their beliefs are. They believe in Freedom. When you ask what that means (and the media pretty much never does) they elaborate that they mean in the Freedom to be Free in America. If you push them harder, they say that they mean the Freedom that our Founding Fathers fought and died to give us, the Freedom to be Free and to use that Freedom to achieve our Dreams in this Amazingly Unique Free Country. By then, the candidates are quite irritated and wonder why “I have strong beliefs” wasn’t enough, because it certainly was the first 100 times they were asked.

But that they were very happy to clarify this important point.

4. fangio May 4, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

I do firmly believe that Mitt Romney should, as a prerequisite to running for president, be forced to have sex with a black woman so we can see if he does indeed die on the spot. The last time I had sex with a good looking black woman I almost died; but it was for another reason.

• ladywalker68 May 4, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

:mrgreen:

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 5, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Agreed, AND it almost made me a believer cause there was that time I shouted OH JEEBUS!

5. jjamele May 5, 2012 at 9:47 am #

By the way, couldn’t help noticing that Stewart felt perfectly comfortable taking shots at the religion that believes God says men should have more than one wife, or the religion that says God impregnated a teen-aged girl, or the religion that says people should spend time in meditation rather than labor (sounds good to me, actually) but he failed to bring up the religion which believes that the Earth is 5700 years old, certain foods are banned forever by Holy Writ, using electricity on Saturdays is verboten…

Gee, I wonder why? Just a slip? Or was that clip just not included?

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

No, Stewart is secretly in league with the UBERChristian repugnantklaners….he gibbers in tongues as soon as the cameras stop.

6. Ga6thDem May 5, 2012 at 9:51 am #

I have to say the statement “I hate Barack Obama more than I love Jesus” is a perfect statement on the bankruptcy of the evangelical/political movement in America today.

• ladywalker68 May 5, 2012 at 11:15 am #

Ga6thDem – BINGO!

And as it stands right now, even though I didn’t vote for President Obama in 2008, I plan to vote for him in 2012.

Why? Well it certainly isn’t for his record, which is about what I expected.

No, I am voting for him this time as a strike against the despicable right, because of the Republicans in Congress who by their actions stated, “I hate Barack Obama more than I love the USA.”

The obstructionist Republican congress was willing to force America to fail, so that Barack Obama would fail. That is something I will never forget.

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

With you ladywalker.

7. Joyce Arnold May 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

As Cujo says, “I think it would be nice if they went back to hiring real journalists. …”

That would be great, and I’m in total agreement. Unfortunately, I think it’s about as likely as having real choices beyond two parties trading who gets to be top dog for a while.