It’s Not News that Romney Can Win

MITT ROMNEY’S LUCKY the Republican primaries unmasked his warts long before anyone started paying attention. Sure America saw the clown show, but the circus has passed and now it’s down to business and economics, Romney’s strong suit.

I started following Mitt Romney during the 2007-2008 primary season, writing back then that he was dangerous for Democrats. Progressives scoffed at my analysis, though they did as well when I warned them about candidate Obama back in 2007.

But that was long before Pres. Obama decided to compromise with himself and take the economic argument so far right that it benefits Republicans across the board. Obama’s bipartisanship anti-ideological politics is why he and his campaign are fighting to keep their Bain Capital strategy against Mitt Romney alive. That his own car czar, followed by two well known African American Democrats, have followed his apolitical lead where Wall Street economics is concerned has now become the biggest threat to Pres. Obama’s reelection.

From Politico’s Jonathan Martin:

Margin-of-error polling, fundraising parity last month, conservative consolidation around Romney and a still-sluggish economy has senior GOP officials increasingly bullish about a nominee many winced over during a difficult primary process.

Interviews with about two dozen Republican elected officials, aides, strategists and lobbyists reveal a newfound optimism that with a competent, on-message campaign, Romney will be at least competitive with a weakened incumbent. That’s a dramatic shift from the fatalistic view many party stalwarts shared mere weeks ago.

The other reason Romney could win is the tepid nature of Pres. Obama’s reviews as leader of the economy among nonpartisans. If Mitt Romney is inoculated on Bain Capital he will emerge as the competent business leader who voters might decide is worth giving a shot. There’s no evidence incumbency is the plus it once was in fact it’s just the opposite.

That Obama hasn’t made solid relationships inside the Democratic Party and in the progressive community, beyond his die hard fans and supporters, makes it rougher for him. I don’t know anyone who thinks Obama runs the Democratic Party, with more evidence today that he doesn’t. He’s the un-Lyndon Johnson, a man who gets by on his own steam, not through relationships inside Democratic or progressive circles. The attitude of Robert Gibbs is brought to mind and just what a bad beginning the Administration made toward their base. Obama is another in a long line of presidents who don’t feel compelled to build the political party that made his rise possible. The feeling is Pres. Obama’s a one man ego band.

Meanwhile, team Obama has dispatched Steve Rattner, the first in the line of Bain boosters, long before Cory Booker and Harold Ford hit, who’s written a defensive op-ed for the New York Times. Laugh track not included.

I am among those who have been drawn into the argument – there was even a snippet of me defending private equity in a Romney campaign ad.

As a former Obama administration official, I was uncomfortable about being used in a Romney ad in support of his position.

However, I was also concerned that the Obama ads, while narrowly accurate, might be seen to portray Bain Capital (and implicitly, private equity) in an ugly light because a few of the companies the firm invested in went bankrupt while Bain Capital still made money…

And that’s just the first three paragraphs. All defense and whispering that “the Obama ads” are “narrowly accurate,” while vamping in order to scrape a way forward to help the boss.

This is a very serious moment for team Obama, an inflection point in the 2012 race.

But like the Romney campaign’s Etch A Sketch event, some things in politics simply define what is already known, solidifying a politician’s image. It’s not like anyone today actually thinks Pres. Obama represents the “hope and change” his team marketed, many never did.

What makes the Bain Capital gaffe, which in Washington speak is really the truth, potentially lethal for Pres. Obama is that it has the potential of equaling the playing field between Obama and Romney by taking Bain off the board in many nonpartisan eyes, with the only thing that could tilt it back to Obama being a foreign policy crisis, a field of expertise of Pres. Obama’s where Romney simply cannot compete.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

74 Responses to It’s Not News that Romney Can Win

1. fangio May 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

It’s an old story but when you screw the people who worship you the most it always comes back to bite you in the ass. Those people just don’t work for you the second time around, don’t fund raise and don’t hype your candidacy. I was amused when it was revealed that Obama was going to be holding big rallies again; does he think this is going to be a repeat of ’08. When there is no enthusiasm things just seem to muddle along until it’s too late. If the economic climate improves I think he will make it; if it stays pretty much the same, there’s always that beach on Oahu.

2. secularhumanizinevoluter May 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

“now it’s down to business and economics, Romney’s strong suit.”

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

““narrowly accurate,”

Gosh…then they are…ACCURATE

3. Solo May 23, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Although I am well aware that many in this country have very poor long term memories, Taylor I had no idea that you were among them. Are you really going to shit there and pretend that President Obama is the only politician who has ever had one of his surrogates/supporters go off script. Maybe you should use the Google go back and look at some of the things people in Mitt Romney’s own party have called him. Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum and Rick Perry, people who now count themselves among his supporters during the GOP nomination process went on TV and called him a liar. Multiple times. Maybe you should Google all the delayed lukewarm endorsements Romney has gotten from his fellow Republicans and what they had to say about him while they were supposedly endorses him. Basically all of Romney’s surrogates have been off message but that was no big deal, but when a few of Obama’s do it, it’s a massive story that gets round the clock coverage.

Dangerous candidate my ass. Romney had to spend tens of millions of dollars just to get the Republican base to the point where they would be willing to hold their noses and vote for him. Against a slate of candidate who were nowhere near viable in the general election.

I also read that Politico article a few hours ago and what it amounted to was a whole lotta happy talk and you obviously bought into it. Obama is beating Romney in every state north of DC, he is beating him in the upper Midwest and all the pacific states. This is President Obama’s election to lose. If you add up all the electoral college votes from the states we know Obama will win (blue States) and the ones we know Romney will win (red states) that puts the President at 237 and Romney at 170. The President only needs 270. Which means Romney would have to sweep virtually all of the remaining swing states to win the White House, the chances of that are slim. Sorry Taylor but the math say the President is in a solid position to be re-elected your fantasies not withstanding!

• fangio May 23, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

” Are you really going to ” shit ” there. ” That’s a good one.

• Solo May 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Damn I can’t believe I missed that in the proof read! LOL!

4. AliceP May 23, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

I live in Loudoun County VA which was highly publicized in 2008 as a “purple” county.

We just had County Supervisor elections in November and the right wing, “crazies” and Republicans took ALL the seats.

If you think Obama is going to win Virginia this year, I think you are dreaming. The climate is to dump incumbents and the austerity/no taxes fever is alive and well here.

5. Uh-oh May 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

What goes around, comes around. Obama has done a couple of good things and a couple of really bad things, but he isn’t doing ANY of it for us, the American people. The U.S. always had this fantasy that other countries had corrupt politicians, never this country. Well, here is a news flash–most of OUR politicians are corrupt, bought and paid for. And Obama is no better than any other politician.

6. casualobserver May 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm #

Note this day for the record….I agree with Alice P…..the electoral advantage calc referenced above is predicated on giving Obama all the EV in states where his poll lead is currently low single digits…PA, MI, OH, FL, VA, WI…….just flip 2 or 3 around and the electoral math would show a similarly strong win for Romney.

Respecting the OP, the aspect that is striking me is now that Obama is campaigning, it ain’t all roses for what is supposed to be his strongest suit……..some poorly attended campaign stops, some embarassing D primary results and now some negative campaigning doing what it always can do….becoming a negative for the sponsor.

Obama was better off in the previous months when he got to do what he is best at…..doing relatively little.

• Ga6thDem May 23, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

It is going to be an uphill climb for Republicans here on out due to the fact that the younger the voting base is, the more browner it is. If you look at the latest Pew poll on the demographics the GOP voting base is dying off. The GOP has a chance in November simply because somehow they shoved the fundamentalists into the closet and got a northeastern Republican who could be perceived as a moderate and the fact that the wackos hate him probably makes it all the better for Romney when it comes to the general election.

Unless the GOP changes many of it’s party stances it is going to go the way of the dinosaurs.

• casualobserver May 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

If you got some dough to wager, I’ll be willing to take that bet.

From where I stand, the Rs have as many, if not more potentially rising stars of currently competent position than the Ds, just as many females and, as you term it, some “brown” appeal….Rubio, Martinez, Scott, maybe even Jindahl.

More crucial in my mind, however, is that the young Rs carry both the ability to represent the necessary ideological transition away from soconism towards the middle, but also would seem to have more potential appeal to the more reliably voting demographic caste levels of the citizenry. A lot of the new blood Ds seem to be representative of a push to more ideology than less.

• Ga6thDem May 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

The GOP has no rising stars outside of Marco Rubio who has gone around shopping a fabricated family history. Most of the Republicans who have been elected are radical fundamentalists who have more in common with Phyllis Schafly than your average american.

Bobby Jindahl has been shoved in a corner because of his disastrous response to the SOTU. Martinez would never make it out of a GOP primary.

• Cujo359 May 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

The Republicans represent a vanishing constituency, but if the Democrats go on treating their constituencies as they have, they’ll find they do a vanishing act, too. There’s no reason to assume that latinos’ or womens’ votes belong to the Democrats, and unions are also going the way of the dinosaurs, thanks partly to the Democrats’ unwillingness to keep them healthy.

Right now, both major parties look like long-term losers.

• fairmindedindependent May 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

Your 100% right Cujo359. Both the Democratic and Republican parties are going to go the way of the dinosours if they keep up with the crap there doing. People are leaving both parties and Independents are the fastest growing segment right now.

7. T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER! A sizable amount of we black folks scoped out ol’ Barry back when he was runnin’ for POTUS in ’08. He didn’t come through the traditional ranks of the BDE (Black Democratic Establishment) which march mostly lock-step with the Democratic Party at large. Hence the early support for Hillary Clinton. I remember many black folks saying earlier that “Obama is his own man” in a negative light. But after winning Iowa, they said “Obama is his man” in a positive light. That also led to much euphoria in the black community (notwithstanding the historic context which is NO SMALL DEAL).

I feel strongly that Romney will win because of that quote you wrote Taylor. Obama has his vision and to heck with everyone else. In some ways, he’s more of “The Decider” that ol’ GWB was. But in a different way and a way that he can’t use much simple because he’s is and has the flat out demeanor of a:

Professor….

• Ga6thDem May 23, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

I agree that the “professor” demeanor is a big negative. He’s lucky that Romney doesn’t have much empathy either though.

• Solo May 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

I see your point, that whole speaking in complete sentences thing can be a real drag. How could anyone think that a President who writes books and thinks before he acts possibly be a good thing?

• jinbaltimore May 23, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

False equivalency and/or mis-characterization of comment, but thanks for playing!

• Solo May 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Are you denying that criticizing President Obama for being too much of a professor is anti-intellectual?

• jinbaltimore May 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

Nope, I’m saying there is a difference between being able to put two sentences together and coming off as didactic.

• Ga6thDem May 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

Huh? I’m not comparing Obama to Bush, I’m comparing him to Romney. As far as I know, Romney has no problem making complete sentences so you’re talking nonsense.

• Solo May 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

Talk about a fact free opinion! You “feel” Romney is going to win? Maybe someone should call all the polling companies putting out data indicating President Obama is going to win re-election and tell them their wasting their time because T-Steel has a feeling!

• T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

Oh Solo. My feeling means nothing on a large scale. I’m just expressing a feeling. And I have ABSOLUTELY nothing against a “Professor image”. I’m stating that the “Professor Obama” image is working against him in this election due to the political environment.

*** As an aside, GWB spoke in complete sentences, albeit with the Texas flava. You don’t become POTUS by being a complete and utter destroyer of the English language. ***

Right now, President Obama has many things working against him in 2012. The economy (not his fault but Presidents get the blame and perception is everything many times), his stone cold focus on health care in the beginning of his tenure (didn’t work out the way he wanted), surrogates hurting him (nothing new for politicians), his historic gay marriage announcement not panning out well, etc. Romney flat out “sucks” in my opinion as well BUT if things stay kind of like they are from a political perspective, Romney can and will squeak this out (which I believe will occur). BUT I’ll concede this, anything can happen. Something can happen to and with the Romney camp that just kills him.

But hey, since I’m voting no to Obama and Romney, guess I don’t matter, huh? :cool:

• Solo May 23, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

“As an aside, GWB spoke in complete sentences, albeit with the Texas flava. You don’t become POTUS by being a complete and utter destroyer of the English language.” OMFG you have to be kidding me? George Bush butchered the English language constantly during his two terms.

“I’m stating that the “Professor Obama” image is working against him in this election due to the political environment. ” If that is true then how is he leading in the polls?

“his stone cold focus on health care in the beginning of his tenure (didn’t work out the way he wanted)” Really? Tell that to the thousands of people who are still alive and the millions who have healthcare now because of ACA!

“his historic gay marriage announcement not panning out well!” That happened a few days ago, do you really believe sufficient time has elapsed that you can reach such a broad conclusion?

Again I say fact free opinions!

• T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

So what do you suggest Solo? Educate me. So I should ONLY comment when I have hardcore facts? Ok. I’ll play. For a fact, this is Taylor Marsh’s site. So my comment to that fact is “all commenters on this site are really Mickey Mouse”. :roll:

Fine, you’re an Obama supporter it seems. That’s cool. Mo’ power to you. But if my opinion isn’t disrespectful, demeaning, cruel, or flat out disgustingly stupid, why is it a problem to you?

• Solo May 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

T-Steel: Scroll down and read RAJensen’s comment. That is a perfect example of opinion based on facts not “feelings”! He expresses himself and then backs up those opinions with links that support what he is saying. I have no problem with you believing whatever you want to, my point is if left up to people like you blacks would still be sitting in the back of the bus, women would be barefoot a pregnant and gays would still be in the closet. Progress is never achieved by purists! It’s achieved by realists who recognize that no political is perfect, has patience, can see the big picture and is willing to put the time in.

• T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

And another thing Solo, you have made many comments here that lacked facts. It’s what we humans do. And at least I said “my feeling” instead of “this is a fact”.

Geez….

• Solo May 23, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

Another drive-by! Don’t just throw out an accusation and run away. Name one thing I have said on this thread that was false or lacked facts!

• T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Ok, I’ll leave this alone after this. Many of us have offered PERSONAL OPINIONS here. Even when using FACTS, we still offered PERSONAL OPINIONS. And going through every post of this lovely site to pick out your comments is a waste of both of our times. But fine, I give. You win.

Solo only makes fact based comments and T-Steel (me) needs to learn how do the same cause he’s a poopy head for not doing so.

*SIGH*

But wait! Look at that!! I’m not ALONE! So many poopy heads in the world. WONDERFUL! Yes yes! I’ll keep posting opinions so I can stay in the Kingdom of the Poopy Heads. YAY for me!

Sorry Taylor… LOL

• casualobserver May 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Exactly correct, T. Look at all the posting on this thread by left leaning posters. We have exactly 2 quasi facts presented: Solo’s quoting of the RCP EV projection (nonetheless, someone’s underlying opinion of things) and Alice’s county supervisor’s election results (arguably also just her opinion as to who constitutes a crazy person vs her personal assessment of her own sanity).

Blogs are absolutely ludicrous in the sense people post things as as-if statements of fact when these things are at best wishful thinking expressed in the form of written ideological hyperbole.

When you realize the next election, as all elections in recent decades have demonstrated, will be decided by a small percentage of voters who historically vote either way. Therefore, unless you can say you voted one time for Bush and one time for Gore or Kerry, not only does your opinion not actually matter a whit, but neither does your vote.

8. angels81 May 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

All this is much to do about nothing, seeing as most people have not even started to pay attention. Mitt is still a blank slate for a lot of people, and until we get closer to the election will people start paying attention. Once people start really looking at both candidates will we see what people really think. Everything going on now is more pundit driven and inside the beltway stuff.

9. mjsmith May 23, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

I think the Romney team is doing a great job at defining Obama. I see the Obama team having trouble painting a negative picture of Romney.

• Ga6thDem May 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Huh? Romney’s own campaign has painted him as the etch a sketch candidate. I guess you don’t see that as a problem?

• angels81 May 23, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Are you kidding me? Mittens has married himself to the Ryan budget, and when most people start paying attention they will have a different viewpoint about the lord of the manor. It’s a long way off till the election, and right now the only people paying attention are policy wonks like us and pundits. .

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

I know you complain that I “pick on” you. But if you time after time after time insist on making knee jerk, disassociated from reality comments like that…..

10. RAJensen May 23, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

When you look at the total electoral votes in the bag for Obama and Romney, Obama has 284 electoral votes in safe and strong Obama states and Romney has 170 electoral votes in safe and strong Republican states:

Obama could lose in every tossup state and he still wins the electoral college vote. It coujld be a rehash of 2004 when Gore won the popular vote and Bush won the electoral vote.

Despite the quinnepiac poll Florida is a toss up state:

North Caroloina is also a tossup state:

Romney has to draw to an inside stright and win all the tossup states and take one or two safe Democratic state.

• Cujo359 May 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Obama’s lead is weak in Ohio, Michigan, and Virginia, adding up to 47 electoral votes, if memory serves. Romney isn’t similarly weak anywhere sufficient polling has been done. That alone suggests that Obama could be in trouble for any number of reasons come election day. Plus, those polls are all aggregates of “likely voter” and “registered voter” polls. The difference in those two populations usually favors Republicans, and may well do so in this election, given how little Obama has done for his base in the last three-plus years.

11. mjsmith May 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

This map is a joke. Mitt will get New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Virginia. The Election is only 6 months away, beleive me people are starting to make up there minds. I express my concerns about Romney to anyone that will listen. It is clear that people do not want President Obama re-elected.

• T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

I don’t necessarily believe the map is a complete joke. And un-seating an incumbent is always tough. But I tend to agree with you mjsmith, Obama facing more not being re-elected “buzz” than not. But 6 months not necessarily short. And a “swift boat” type of issue (I use the term “swift boat” to describe a game changer) against Romney could make it MUCH easier for The Prez.

• Ga6thDem May 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

You’ve got to be kidding? Mitt is NOT carrying MA. NH and VA probably but not MA.

• angels81 May 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

So your telling me people would rather elect mittens and insure that the Ryan budget would become law? Do you really think people are that stupid? Do you think women would vote for someone who would take all their rights away that they have fought for years to get? Are you telling me that because of some hatred for the black man in the white house, they would take us all back to the days when women had no rights whatsoever and seniors and the poor will pay the price so the rich can continue to reap all the profits and wealth of this country? Are the American people really that stupid?

Are you telling me that independents and progressives would hand the right wing a victory in this country because Obama isn’t left enough for them to vote for the middle of the road democrat? Are people in this country really that stupid? Is this what you really want, just to prove your point that you are a true left winger?

• jinbaltimore May 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

Not voting for Obama does not equal supporting Romney as nice as a talking point that might seem to be.

• angels81 May 23, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

You can delude yourself all you want, but the fact is, if Mittens gets elected a lot of people in this country will suffer.

• jinbaltimore May 24, 2012 at 3:36 am #

Asked and answered. Scroll down to your post at 8:24.

The fact is a lot of people ARE suffering because Obama was elected and seeks re-election. All to serve his ego.

• cjoblak@hotmail.com May 24, 2012 at 8:45 am #

Angels,

A LOT of people are already suffering. Obama has had 3 years to do something about it and he hasn’t. In fact, a lot of people are a lot worse off now than 4 years ago.

12. T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

ROFLMAO!! Oh wow! How much you don’t know about me Solo. ROFLMAO. Ok let me stop. Real quick:

I’m a former black nationalist (basically a surrogate to the Nation of Islam led by Minister Louis Farrakhan). Both my parents were Black Panthers and I have a grandfather and great-uncle that were members of the Deacons for Defense in the 1960s. I have sizable number of family members that marched for civil rights during the height of the movement. I have two male gay cousins who both have partners (and I supported their civil unions and marriage in Cali IN PERSON). I don’t like the two party system and have voted third party in EVERY ELECTION as a protest. My family are LOYAL Democrats with only me abstaining due to my little anarchist ways (what my aunt calls it lovingly). I cheered Obama’s election because the history even though I didn’t vote for me. And I’m pro-choice, pro-contraception, and pro pecan pie and vanilla ice cream every Friday. By the way, I’m also a Futurist that belongs to the World Future Society and the Lifeboat Foundation. I’m a well-rounded dude. LOL!

All those are facts. So your label all wrong and then some. But I’ll forgive you if you forgive me.

• Solo May 23, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

Assuming that’s all true, I only have one more question! What happened to you?

• T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

You mean why I’m not a Democrat or Obama supporter? WELL I dislike the two party system. Plain and simple. They both goofy to me and need real competition in order to “straighten up and fly right”. I’m not a Romney supporter either. Obama and Romney don’t appeal to me at all. Well I do like the fact that they are Harvard Boys and I have a soft spot for Harvard because the campus is beautiful.

Wall Street got ‘em both corrupted. Two Harvard Boys trying to out-position each other when they both getting the $$$ from the Wall Street crew. Puh-leeze. I don’t hate Wall Street. I hate the national politicians are beholden to them. When they stop that, maybe I’ll give the Big 2 and sniff.

• mjsmith May 23, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

They both goofy to me too!

• angels81 May 23, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

And you really don’t see any difference? I agree Obama is not a left wing liberal, but there is a difference between Obama and Mittens. For one, the Ryan budget would become the law of the land under Mittens. The next president will more then likely pick two to three supreme court justices. Women will be big losers under a Mittens presidency, and we will go back to healthcare as it was before Obama care. Under Obama we may have a chance to make health care even better, under republicans and Mittens, forget it.

• Solo May 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

Have you looked across the pond recently? All those European country’s that are now in economic turmoil all have multiparty political systems. That fact doesn’t seem to be helping them any. Have you looked north lately? Canada is an overwhelmingly liberal country but liberals keep losing because they keep splitting their votes among multiple left party’s.

• jinbaltimore May 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm #

Have you looked at Obama’s record? He’s pushing austerity! What is screwing up Europe more than anything else?!? LOL

• Pilgrim May 24, 2012 at 9:18 am #

That is true. With thirty per cent popular vote, Conservatives have a majority in House of Commons, allowing them to pass anything their little hearts desire.

• angels81 May 23, 2012 at 5:12 pm #

So. you would hand the right wing in this country a victory just to prove a point? I know as someone who is 63 years old I would be in deep shit with Mittens and the Ryan budget as law. Obama may not be the progressive liberal I would want, but considering that the next President will more then likely appoint two to three supreme court judges, I’ll go for Obama over Mitt and right wing republicans any day. I know my daughter and granddaughters will fair much better with Obama then Mitt and the republicans in power, and their well being is everything to me.

• lynnette May 23, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

I’m with you, angels81. I don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water, the Supreme Court appointments, especially.

• T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

…AND i’m not a black nationalist anymore because it became painfully obvious that the majority of white folks weren’t out to “get” black folks. And my black wife having a snow white best friend (since they were 4) really made me re-evaluate my thought processes. Also, my hair started falling out due to all the screaming I used to do. And my throat started hurting. And my fist was sore from all the shaking. And I couldn’t write “Black Power” signs as good since carpal tunnel set in. And…. ;-)

• Lake Lady May 24, 2012 at 8:54 am #

:grin:

13. secularhumanizinevoluter May 23, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

“It is clear that people do not want President Obama re-elected.”

Bwahahahahahahahaha! That is the funniest most no there, there line I have read in YEARS!!!!!

It’s a DANGED good thing there aren’t any Pandas that don’t want President Obama re-elected!!

14. T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

…with the only thing that could tilt it back to Obama being a foreign policy crisis, a field of expertise of Pres. Obama’s where Romney simply cannot compete.

President Barack “The Hawk and Foreign Policy Dude” Obama. Who’d a thunk it? LOL

15. tonyb39 May 23, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

T-Steel,
    Absolutely enjoyed reading you! I don’t post often but your posts compelled me and regarding the 2 party system being goofy gave me a chuckle and you are so right! Also agree we need a third party to compete with them and shake them up…

• angels81 May 23, 2012 at 5:48 pm #

Don’t hold your breath, a third party in this country will never happen in our life times. The system we have is built around a two party system, and as long as money and the power money brings we will never see more then a two party system.

The best chance we have as liberals and progressives is to take over one of the two parties. The left and progressives need to get up off their asses and work to take control of the democratic party. anything else just plays into the hands of the right wing in this country, and they will cruse anybody who stands in their way.

• jinbaltimore May 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Just because it won’t happen “in our lifetimes” doesn’t make helping to create third (or fourth!) parties a worthless endeavor. It makes it more of a selfless one. Whereas we know progressives taking “control of the democratic party” is not happening. We have that evidence before us.

Continuing to vote for the corrupt Democratic party of today, thinking it can go back to its populist roots at this point, is the futile exercise.

• angels81 May 23, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

How many people will suffer just so you can feel better about yourself? Why not do what the tea party did, and work to take over the democratic party? We talk all this high “what if stuff” instead of doing the hard work and working with what the system is set for and gain control of one of the parties we now have.

• Cujo359 May 23, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

How many people will suffer when Obama is re-elected? Quite a few, I would bet. Most of the ones who would suffer under a Mitt Romney Administration, in fact. Are you going to take responsibility when, as plenty of us have predicted right here, Obama imposes austerity measures like raising SS eligibility age, cutting back on Medicaid, etc., because we “can’t afford” to tax the people who have been making all the money.

Not a chance, I’d say, because anyone who offers like this doesn’t have the courage. By doing what’s accepted, you get to absolve yourself of anything wrong that might happen. After all, how could it be your fault?

• jinbaltimore May 23, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

We fundamentally disagree on where the “hard work” will achieve the greatest positive impact.

How many are suffering given the choices democrats have made in the last three years? How many are suffering due to Obama’s increased drone attacks? How many are suffering because Obama took single payer off the table during his Great Aetna Bailout of 2010? How many will suffer because of the “grand bargain” Obama insists on making, cutting SS and Medicare? How many are suffering because Obama is more interested in pleasing his donors than helping to ease the suffering? How many will suffer under continued warrantless wire-tapping, given another five years just today by democrats? Finally, how many are suffering because of this ridiculous “war” between democrats and republicans and the ensuing tribalism that distracts from any real good occurring?

Many more than will suffer from my obeying my conscience.

• T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

True liberals and progressives will never take over Democratic Party as long as it is beholden to Wall Street. Look, I don’t have mindless, insane hate regarding President Obama. In fact, when people bring up stupid things like “he’s the most racially divisive president ever”, I’m all over them like a thirsty man at an oasis. But look at how he just basically told the progressive community, “Ease up and got this but I really don’t”. Romney’s going to do it to conservatives too. Both parties raid the American people for votes that really don’t count in an electoral college but do count but still kinda don’t count but whatever!

Today, 27,000 HP workers are getting the boot. I was laid off from HP in 2008 when they cut 24,800 workers (the majority in the US and Canada). Romney’s going to play it like Obama had something to do with it. And Obama is going to play the “corporate America enemy angle” and he “got your back”. They both wrong wrong wrong. Corporations steer our Presidents. So I say we just vote for one of more of them to represent the Presidency. As someone said in an earlier post:

We don’t need the middlemen…

• fairmindedindependent May 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

tonyb39 and t-steel are right. We do need a two party system, I left the democratic party alittle after 2008 and I am not looking back. I am tired of voting for the lesser of two-evils, its old and I am fed up with it. I will vote third party. When it comes to social issues, yes I agree with the democrats more, but when it comes to Wall Street, both parties are two peas in a pod. At least the Republicans are honest about it, when Cory Booker or Harold Ford or Ed Randell slip out the truth about how they feel I am sure there are many more, they get blasted.

• T-Steel May 23, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

Hey tonyb39…

Walt Disney’s Goofy has nothing on our goofy two-party system. I want them to SWEAT when a third party disrupts their comfort zones. Look at how comfortable they are. Conventions all planned out. Campaign events, their scripts, etc. One of them will win in 2012. No bumps on that. But if they are seriously threatened, you watch how the Donkey and the Elephant start fretting. Watch how those campaign stops change. And if we can get rid of that antiquated electoral college and force these goofy candidates to work ALL 50 STATES, my my my, we’ll have some change to believe in. LOL!

16. tonyb39 May 23, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

Fair,
    I like your comment and i left the Dem party as well after the Dem 2008 Primaries..I come from Michigan and live and vote in Florida and Dems didn’t count my vote!!! I l agree with Dems
    more too but i intend to vote Indy if i can…

• jinbaltimore May 23, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

How anyone could expect a non-corrupt administration to arise from that, ahem, “nomination process” is beyond me.

• mjsmith May 23, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

jinbaltimore – You make a very good point.

17. fairmindedindependent May 23, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

Well President Obama has problems within the Democratic Party. Yesterday in the Arkansas and Kentucky primary, John Wolfe Jr. won 41% of the vote in Arkansas and won 36 counties and winning over 60,000 votes. In Kentucky Uncommitted won 42 percent of the vote. 86,785 votes to Obama 57.9%, 119,245. In West Virginia, a guy named Keith Judd who is in jail won 41% of the vote, won over 70,000 votes and won 10 counties. In North Carolina, 20 percent of the Democratic vote went towards “no preference” but Mitt Romney is also not getting the number of votes John McCain did in 2008 Republican primary. So It goes to show how people are ticked at both candidates.

Governor Deval Patrick gave a interview with CNN, saying he agreed with Cory Booker and Harold Ford Jr. Like I said, both parties are bought and paid for by big bussiness.

• secularhumanizinevoluter May 24, 2012 at 10:59 am #

“Well President Obama has problems within the Democratic Party. Yesterday in the Arkansas and Kentucky primary, John Wolfe Jr. won 41% of the vote in Arkansas and won 36 counties and winning over 60,000 votes. In Kentucky Uncommitted won 42 percent of the vote. 86,785 votes to Obama 57.9%, 119,245. In West Virginia, a guy named Keith Judd who is in jail won 41% of the vote, won over 70,000 votes and won 10 counties. In North Carolina, 20 percent of the Democratic vote went towards “no preference” ”

You have got to be kidding right? For starters….President Obama still WON majorities in all those elections right? And they were basically technicalities since there are no primary chalanges right?

• jinbaltimore May 24, 2012 at 2:02 pm #