Rick Santorum Suspends Campaign, Fantasizing about 2016

He’s out.

Rick Santorum simply had to save himself from another humiliation in Pennsylvania.

The news broke while I was on a late lunch, caught between crunches at the gym.

Perhaps meeting with conservatives solidified that if he wants to live to fight another day, because he couldn’t beat Mitt Romney on the numbers, he needed to do himself a big favor and bow out.

We can talk about what might have been if Rick Santorum had focused on his economic message instead of drawing light to his religious conservatism. But then, without his war on women cred he wouldn’t have been a viable candidate.

So, it’s over, but for Mitt Romney finalizing the 1144.

Get ready for one of the more soulless, money glutted, race to the bottom, amid an avalanche of negative ads, campaign we’ve seen in modern history.

May the best funded corporate jackal win.

23 Responses to Rick Santorum Suspends Campaign, Fantasizing about 2016

1. Solo April 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Rick Santorum will never be the President of this country. Not in 2012 or in 2016!

• jjamele April 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Wow, bold prediction. Takes courage.

Thanks for showing us the way, Solo. (gag)

• Rick Roberts April 11, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

Awesome comment, jjamele, and don’t forgot that exclamation mark. That really nailed the point for me.

2. Cujo359 April 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

The narrower the difference between the candidates, in my experience, the nastier the race becomes. When there’s not much to differentiate them based on issues or loyalties, then either things have to get personal or they have to make things up about each other.

So yes, this one will probably get very ugly.

Good riddance to Santorum, though. He wasn’t adding anything to the conversation that I wanted to hear.

3. StrideHyde April 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

The battle of the ciphers…

4. Rick Roberts April 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

Corporate jackels, indeed. Sometimes I daydream about running off to start a utopian society. There is no free land left, though.

5. Jane Austen April 10, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

I will be sitting this campaign out. I don’t have the heart for it. Disappointed? You betcha!! I’ll continue to read TM like I’ve done for the past 5 years and maybe even make a comment now and then but there’s no spirit for the nasty politics to come. But good riddance to Santorum. I concur with Cujo359 – Santorum will never be president. His view of women just doesn’t cut it. Like Rick Roberts, I too dream of a utopian society but there is no free land left. My question of the day – do we really live in a free society?

• Cujo359 April 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Actually, it was Solo who thinks that Santorum will never be President. I’d like to think so, but I’m not so sure…

• Jane Austen April 11, 2012 at 12:10 am #

sorry about that – my eyes don’t see straight sometime.

• Solo April 11, 2012 at 1:48 am #

And I stand by that quote. Rick Santorum actually thinks that woman who are impregnated by a rapist should be required by law to carry to term. I believe his exact quote was rape victims should make the best of it. Santorum will never be President of this country, his political career is over. His views will only be more unacceptable as the years go by.

6. jjamele April 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

Obama v. Romney- talk about depressing. What a great time for a John Anderson type to step up and speak for the rest of us. Maybe Rocky Anderson from the Left (I’d say Russ Feingold, but he’s already sold out to the DNC) and Ron Paul or Santorum from the right….the two party oligarchy needs to go. The more choices the better- this year, we seem to have no choice at all.

7. jjamele April 10, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

I just caught Cenck Uyger’s take on Santorum’s withdrawal- jeeesh, what a mouthy, condescending, smarmy jerk. Mocking Santorum for the ex-Senator’s comment that he won 11 states (“so that meant you won the most delegates, huh? No? Clean up, go home!”) To the best of my knowledge, Uyger has never put his name on a ballot, never put his rep on the line and gone before the voters to ask for help, never put in the legwork, never run anything but his mouth.

I am no fan of Santorum. But as Teddy Roosevelt once said, credit to the man in the arena. It’s easy to sit back from a distance and shoot snarky comments, and then kick the guy who actually puts himself out there because he believes in something. The giggling “good riddance” sneers from the peanut gallery is inappropriate- especially from people like Uyger, who will never, EVER put their money where their mouths are, but instead make their living mocking those who do. Disgusting.

• Solo April 11, 2012 at 1:33 am #

Talk about projection. Accusing Genck Uyger’s of doing something you do all the time. How rich.

• jjamele April 11, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

I’m trying to decide between “what the hell are you talking about?” and “I can’t imagine giving a flying damn about your opinion of me.” I’ll get back to you when I’ve decided.

8. RAJensen April 11, 2012 at 5:27 am #

‘May the best funded corporate jackal win’. A little over the top isn’t it Taylor. Shows why the Wisconsin Governer’s recall election and the Elizabeth Warren- Scott Brown race for the Senate have allowed the professional chattering class Progressives to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in two emininently winnable Democrat states.

The primary battle for the Democratic primary in Wisonsin that will select the Democratic candidate who will oppose Scott Walker has come down to a very liberal candidate who is running against the more moderate Democratic mayor of Milwaukee. A ‘generic’ Democratic candidate beats Walker easily but the race is neck and neck when the two Democratic primary candidates are placed head to head against Walker. The liberal candidate is backed by the AFL-CIO and Move-On and Daily Kos who are placing attack ads on the Milwaukee mayor because he doesn’t share their ‘Progressive’ values.

Elizabeth Warren, in the heavily Democratic state of Massachussetts should easily defeat Scott Brown but this race is neck and neck. Elizabeth Warren’s image has been tarnished by Daily Kos, Move-On.org and other movement Progressive national orginizations and the Progressive chattering class in the media.

In the 2008 Democratic primary for President Hillary Clinton’s largest campaign contributors were the ‘corporate jackals’ of Wall Street. Why then would you place such faith in Hillary?

The lesson to be learned is the majority of voters don’t share extreme ideology whether it is the extremes of the Tea Party or the extremes of the Progressive left.

Obama/Biden 2012
    Saved GM/killed BinLaden

• Cujo359 April 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Labeling something “extremism” does not make it so. On economic matters, what we want is mostly what we had back in the 1960s. The only reason people like you think this is extreme now is because you grew up with that safety net, and now you’re so comfortable you think you don’t need it.

As for killing bin Laden, who gives a shit? I mean seriously. He wasn’t a threat to us. He hadn’t been for years. The threat to our democracy isn’t from those religious fanatics living in their man caves in Pakistan, it’s from the dictatorial powers that Little Bush and Obama have assumed since 9/11.

Here’s your political priorities in a nutshell: Obsess about the shiny objects that don’t matter, and ignore all the stuff that does. That’s not being a moderate, that’s being a fool.

• jjamele April 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

It’s all he’s got, which is why he repeats it ad nauseum here. Kind of sad, really.

9. guyski April 11, 2012 at 7:16 am #

Elections are a process. A process that is open to everyone. To say that one person, one group should not participate because it might have an adverse effect on what some one else wants is un-democratic.

10. Solo April 11, 2012 at 9:44 am #

I had no idea President Obama was a corporate jackal.

• Rick Roberts April 11, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Solo, you are saying that in jest, right?

• jjamele April 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

Well, better late than never, Solo.

How long have you realized that the sun is hot?

11. Lake Lady April 11, 2012 at 10:22 am #

It has ben interesting to me that none of the commentary following Santorums withdrawal from the race has mentioned his wife. There she stood next to him looking devastated and exhausted. Can you imagine caring for a little girl who is evidently very fragile while your husband is on his own personal ego trip?

Can you imagine being a poor person with a child who has similar problems with nowhere to go for medical help? That Rick would do everything he could to keep the poor person poor and without medical resources rather than ask the oliarchy to pony up is fairly ironic.But Rick would blame the poor person for being poor.

• Taylor Marsh April 11, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

What a provocatively important point, re: Santorum’s wife. Good for you.