Michelle Obama’s Quote

“Because I am so in. I am so in. I am going to be working so hard. We have an amazing story to tell. This President has brought us out of the dark and into the light.” – Mrs. Obama, Campaign Event – Nashville, Tennessee

First Lady Michelle Obama views The Slave Pen exhibit while touring the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, Feb. 23, 2012. Pictured, from left, are: Dina Bailey, Associate Curator of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center; Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory; Verna Williams; and Allison Singleton. (White House Photo by Sonya N. Hebert)

Resurrecting the feeling of 2008 will be near to impossible, but First Lady Michelle Obama proved good to her word, campaigning for her husband in a way she once rejected. But the job of first lady is now something she wears effortlessly, which can be seen most fully in her campaign for military families, which she talked about on Monday on NPR.

Today in Tennessee, however, it was a spiritual story she was telling.

“And we are blessed to have him. (Applause.)

“We are so blessed. (Applause.)…”

This isn’t a mere trifle for Mrs. Obama, with everything I’ve read pointing to the sincere belief she has that Barack Obama is an extraordinary man meant to do things that matter. That’s a foundational belief of Michelle Obama, according to reporting about her and her husband’s job as president. There is also a meaningful connection to being the first African American inside the White House, which was built by slaves and whose domestic staff used to be slaves as well. Rep. Gary Ackerman has written Pres. Obama, calling on him to acknowledge and honor the slave history of the White House, which was reported by The Grio.

Mrs. Obama’s quote immediately rattled Republican cages.

From Paul Bedard of the Washington Examiner:

First lady Michelle Obama hit the campaign trail again Tuesday, preaching the Gospel of Barack and telling a Nashville fundraiser that the nation is lucky to have him at the helm.

Daniel Harper of the Weekly Standard cites the religiosity he sees in the message of the First Lady.

There will be a lot more on this from the Fox News faithful, bet on it.

, , , , , , , ,

64 Responses to Michelle Obama’s Quote

1. secularhumanizinevoluter April 17, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

It wouldn’t have mattered what she had said the professional haters of the rightwingnutesphere would have been baying like hounds at a full moon.

2. whitepaw April 17, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

I think Michelle Obama is for the most part a wonderful first lady (with the exception of a few things I have commented on here).

I am not religious at all, so comments about being blessed to have Obama as POTUS and bringing us out of the dark and into the light tend to make me squirm, but I understand it resonates with many.

• Ga6thDem April 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

I am a Christian and it annoys me. Obama is not Jesus anymore than Bush was. So don’t think only nonreligious people are annoyed by this stuff.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 18, 2012 at 5:49 am #

“The crowd of nearly 450 folks applauded as the first lady likened her husband to a Jesus-like figure.”

I would hope inteligent, or at least inteligent enough to read where it said a rightwingnut hack at the Weekly Standard said this people, superstitious or not would opine on this.

The First lady DID NOT SAY THIS!

• Ga6thDem April 18, 2012 at 6:03 am #

No but she implied that he was Jesus-like. This is nothing new. It’s what the GOP did with Bush all the time.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 18, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

Exactly where did she say or imply that that?

• ladywalker68 April 17, 2012 at 11:55 pm #

whitepaw–Totally agree.

3. Ga6thDem April 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

I don’t really think this is very smart politics because Obama now has a record. The whole Jesus=Obama thing is so 2008 and it’s not 2008 anymore. And who cares what the idiots on the right say. Obama is just mimicking what Bush did during his campaigns a la Jesus.

I am so tired of religion being in campaigns and I’m a Christian. I go to church to worship Jesus. I don’t need anybody in the government to be doing this. There are plenty of churches for people to attend if they need spiritual refreshment.

• whitepaw April 17, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

Great post — agree 100%. But it will never happen… Politicians (and those campaigning on their behalf), will always make a speech that caters to their audience.

I doubt if Michelle Obama comes to Portland, OR to make a campaign speech, she will say the same thing. It would just turn too many off.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 18, 2012 at 5:51 am #

” The whole Jesus=Obama thing is so 2008 and it’s not 2008 anymore.”

Yes it is, and it is also so repugnantklaner/teabagger, because SHE DIDN’T SAY THIS!

• Rick Roberts April 18, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Sec, that vein in your head is about to pop.

4. Marie205 April 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

I wonder if the right wing pundits will offer her the same respect they demand the left to have for Ann Romney?
    While she has been first lady, Michelle has been referred or compared to every degrading thing imagined. This woman had to defend herself “alone” from the on slaughter with very few allies in the media or feminist groups. I never seen anything like it. I tried comparing her experience to Hillary Clinton years as first lady in the White House, and honestly, I don’t even think Hillary endured the same level of hatred the right have for Michelle. I am sure many Hillary historian buffs will disagree with me. But I do seem to remember many women rallying to Hillary side, during her White house years and while she was campaigning in 2008. I just don’t see the same level of support for Mrs. Obama.

Sarah Palin like Michelle…experienced similar mistreatment…however, she had Fox News, at the time in 2010, rallying around her in support. Now, a days though they just ignore her or make sly rude comments.

Michelle Obama is the first minority female to ever become first lady of a major developed nation. I find her much more interesting then her husband.

• whitepaw April 17, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

Hi Marie205 –

I am surprised because I really do not see where Michelle Obama is hated or treated more unfairly than many first ladies. And… are you serious? You think she has been treated worse than Hillary Clinton was as first lady? Nancy Reagan was vilified as well. Perhaps I am not getting my news from the same outlets you are, but I think Michelle Obama has mostly been criticized for vacations during a time when many have been suffering… nonetheless, it has not hurt her much at all.

Michelle Obama has a huge support base and a very high favorability rating, which is why she is such a big part of this campaign.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 18, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

“I am surprised because I really do not see where Michelle Obama is hated or treated more unfairly than many first ladies. ”

REALLY?! And can you say which other First lady had a picture of a Gorilla labeled as her Grandmother?

• whitepaw April 18, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

I have not seen any such image so I cannot comment. I am only commenting on what I have experienced re: Michelle Obama’s treatment and what I have seen has not been bad.

5. fairmindedindependent April 17, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

Michelle Obama and Ann Romney will be hugh in their husbands campaigns. Proberly the most popular figures in their husbands campaigns also. So I am sure some on the right will go after Michelle Obama just like some on the left will go after Ann Romney.

• Marie205 April 17, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

“So I am sure some on the right will go after Michelle Obama just like some on the left will go after Ann Romney.” …fairmindedindependent

But will the left have websites…suggesting Ann Romney needs to be lynched, burned alive, have her children slaughtered, forced into slavery, raped, compared to animals, called a terrorist? Because right now, if you visit any Republican website that dare mention the first ladies name…it turns into a racist, sexist feeding frenzy in the comment sections….I don’t seem to remember the left having websites or making comments devoted to treating Laura Bush this way.

• whitepaw April 17, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

There are definitely whackos out ther in the comment sections…. but how many read such comments. I have not been to any such sites you refer to but I believe it happens.

If you are looking at MSM, Michelle Obama is not treated poorly at all.

Re: your comment above, when Hillary was First Lady, had there been blogs…. she would have been vilified in the same manner.

• Marie205 April 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

“If I had as many lavish taxpayer-funded vacations as Michelle, I’d be effortless, too.”…JoeCHI

Exactly, what do you and I as a taxpayers covering in her vacations…are you aware she has to foot the bill for these trips. And from the looks of their tax returns they can afford to pay. Also, if you are referring to having to pay the secret service bill for following her around…while I hate to tell you this but…even when the Obama family leave the White House…you and I will still be footing the bill…per law President Obama family get ten years of secret service protection.

• whitepaw April 17, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

• Marie205 April 17, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

“What??? Talk about a non sequitur post… I did not mention anything such as you are stating except that Michelle Obama has at times been criticized for being a bit over the top with her spending when so many in the country are suffering.”…Whitepaw

Please read the post again it was not addressed to you. I submitted it to the wrong thread link. Sorry about that!

• whitepaw April 17, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

Re-read and understood.. Thanks Marie205. :razz:

• Betsy April 17, 2012 at 9:28 pm #

I so agree with you Marie. We have a friend who does nothing but make fun of Michelle Obama. She calls her thighs “thunder thighs” and in general makes nasty comments about her. This woman claims to be a born again and sent money to Santorum (which I love, she’s lost it), and when I got one of her nasty emails (she sends around the garbage that’s mostly false), I told her that if she was a Christian why was she so judgmental. She no longer sends me anything. Thank goodness. And she’s just one of many that continually makes these nasty comments.
        It’s a very sad commentary.

• whitepaw April 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

Calling Michelle Obama thunder thighs is ridiculous… She is truly a beautiful woman and an amazing role model for many.

With that said, there are always going to be people that do not agree with others, especially those in the public eye. I do not equate this thunder thigh comment as the same that Marie is describing (truly whackos out there).

From the MSM perspective however, I think Michelle Obama has for the most part been treated very well.

Politics is politics. You cannot put yourself out in front of the world and expect everyone to love you. Michelle Obama seems very realistic about not expecting to be adored by all.

• whitepaw April 17, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

Exactly… As far as Ann Romney, I was watching the tail end of Hardball tonight and Chris Mathews was going after the fact that Ann Romney stated in an interview that she felt it was their time.. (to be in the White House). He was trying to make the point that the Romneys felt entitled. I did not hear the whole thing, but I thought it was a bit overboard. So many make such a big fuss about nuances in a statement made. But that is politics. The race is on and MSNBC will do whatever they can to back Obama, and FOX will do the same for Romney… Not sure what CNN is doing!

• Marie205 April 17, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

whitepaw….Having Chris Mathews misinterpret Ann Romney words…is not comparable…to having websites supported by Republican honchos…calling for the rape, murder and lynching of the First lady of the Unites States is not normal politics during election seasons.

• whitepaw April 17, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

I agree… It was just an example of something I heard today. But I 100% disagree with your assessment that Michelle Obama is treated so poorly compared to other first ladies. You are referencing likely whacko right wing web sites, and the comments at that. How many voters do you think ever see such comments. I have not seen anything like this as I do not visit such sites.

There are crazies out there of course………… But the MSM’s treatment of Michelle Obama is for the most part very positive, as it should be.

I stated above that had there been blogs when Hillary Clinton was First Lady, you would have seen much of the same from sites that you are visiting. Even on liberal sites during the primaries there were horrible things said about Hillary in comments.

I just disagree with your assessment here.

• Marie205 April 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

“I stated above that had there been blogs when Hillary Clinton.” …whitepaw

I agree…I Hillary most likely would have been blogged about in the same way. However, she is no longer First Lady and the current one, is receiving no respect.

You are referencing likely whacko right wing web sites.

Unfortunately, polls have proven these people are not so far out of the norm in republican base voters. I seem to remember a poll saying almost 51 percent of Gop voters believe Obama is not a legal citizen…Now, if that many believe her husband is not a United States citizen…And Obama birth argument is prominent on these right wing web sites…these folks “vote”. So, I don’t think its far fetched as to assume these people posting about Michelle are a maybe not a small fringed group.

Below is a link cover the poll I spoke about:

• Ga6thDem April 17, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

Here’s what I think: The conservative movement in this country has collapsed and they are just nothing but a bunch of knee jerk haters. They have no issues that anyone likes. They have nothing so hatred is all they have to keep them together.

Look at it this way: even with all this it’s STILL going to be a close election.

• Marie205 April 17, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

“Actually Hillary got the same treatment. She even got it from the so called Obama supporters. It was darn ugly. Now the right had got Michele Obama in their cross hairs.”…Ga6thDem

Many women voters during the primary in 2008 rallied to support Mrs. Clinton. In fact, she was able to stay in the primary way longer then people assumed thanks to a large number of female supporters.

What I was suggesting is that unlike Mrs. Clinton…there seems to be no large movement of women supporters for Mrs. Obama.

• Betsy April 17, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

But I believe what she spends is hers. If you go to factcheck and politifact they all have stated that all of her trips were paid by the Obamas unless it had some official business. And Laura was the same.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 18, 2012 at 5:55 am #

I am sure all the stay at mansion moms who have their 8 maids and nannies raise their kids while they ride their Dresage horsies will rally round her.

• Pilgrim April 18, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Chris Matthews swings betwixt Republican and Democratic for presidents to adore. Last one was George W. Bush, whom he now excoriates.

I watch him with curiosity, observing in him what appears to be a descent into madness, i.e., insanity. He gets wilder and wilder.

• Pilgrim April 18, 2012 at 11:19 am #

(sometimes these reply items don’t slot in where one thinks they will, creating what seems like a non – sequester. I was responding to a mention of Chris by Marie 205)

• Pilgrim April 18, 2012 at 11:20 am #

non-sequiter….I hate mis-spellings

6. JoeCHI April 17, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

But the job of first lady is now something she wears effortlessly…

Unfortunately, some of us have to live in the reality of Obama’s anemic economy.

• Marie205 April 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

• Rick Roberts April 17, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

Joe, don’t go with the vacation thing. It’s just lame.

• getty1206 April 17, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

So true, Joe. She lives like a queen and acts like one.

7. Rick Roberts April 17, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

Obama is Jesus. Oh. OK. Thanks, Michelle. We know you luvs yo mane (though probably not as much as Solo luv yo mane), but please. Give us a break.

• Sasha April 17, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

@ Rick, I think Solo is Reggie Love… :|

Michelle knows Barrie is no saint.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 18, 2012 at 5:56 am #

Perhaps, just perhaps some of the folks here, even the racist ones will reread the post and see that it was the Weekly Standard trolls that used the Jesus thing.

• Ga6thDem April 18, 2012 at 6:09 am #

When Michelle said we are “blessed” to have him she put Barack in a religious context. I’m sure there will be more “saved by Obama” statements this year too.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

“When Michelle said we are “blessed” to have him she put Barack in a religious context.”

She put him in HER religious context…she didn’t say or imply he was Jeebus…CHEEEEEEZ what is it with you Obama haters and reality?

• Rick Roberts April 18, 2012 at 8:56 am #

You always go there, Sec. Shame on you.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Yeah, I always go to reality and facts, I understand how that can gum up the fantasies some folks like to weave here.

• T-Steel April 18, 2012 at 6:25 am #

I just took it has a very-dedicated wife speaking more from her view of her husband than anyone else. But that doesn’t matter. Words going be thrown out there and will be dissected from both sides with electron microscopes.

Ugh… I hate campaign rhetoric… :evil:

8. getty1206 April 17, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

We are lucky to have Obama at the helm? I would rather have Captain Smith of the Titanic at the helm. At least we would have a fighting chance after the boat goes down.
    Hearing her go ona bout how lucky we are turns my stomach. I never felt lucky…never. And the pretend concern and care for the military families? Nauseating.

Is she feeling proud of America for the second time in her adult life?

• Isis April 17, 2012 at 10:50 pm #

Silly but I can’t resist….Where did the Palin bus take you in the end? Do you still think she is the undefeated with a mission to save this amazing country that God and Jesus sooo loves?

• Isis April 17, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

:roll:

• Taylor Marsh April 18, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Point to Isis on that one. :lol:

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 18, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

SCORE!!!!!!

9. fangio April 17, 2012 at 11:04 pm #

What light did he bring us into: the light of the interrogation room, the light of the police state; or was it the light of the hellfire missile killing the wicked.

10. ladywalker68 April 17, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

I think what she really meant was Obama has brought us over to the right… :mrgreen:

• whitepaw April 18, 2012 at 12:28 am #

Perfect…… Right….. not light…. :cry:

11. fangio April 18, 2012 at 12:25 am #

Ironic that she would praise her husband at a sight that represents so much human suffering by black Americans, a group which has been completely ignored by this black president.

• whitepaw April 18, 2012 at 12:33 am #

Hi fangio… If I read Taylor`s post correctly, Mrs. Obama made the comments perhaps today (my W. coast time) in Nashville, TN. The pic which shows her at the Slave Pen exhibit in Ohio was taken on Feb. 23rd of this year.

12. StrideHyde April 18, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see much of a story here. A loyal wife who loves her husband uses overly flowery language to extoll his virtues. And…?

• whitepaw April 18, 2012 at 9:53 am #

Just a turn-off for me as I stated above.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

Exactly

13. casualobserver April 18, 2012 at 10:22 am #

All I can say is if God had a son, he’d look like Obama.

14. Antonio April 18, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Awwwww…..a picture of the First “corporate” Lady…in the year of “corporate” election time…visiting a “corporate” planned PR site… of her “corporate” selected roots.

BULLSH*#!T!!!!!!!!!!!!

• T-Steel April 18, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Ya got that one right. It’s all “corporate” sprinkled with Hollywood. Let the “staged events” from the Obama and Romney camps COMMENCE!!

15. jinbaltimore April 18, 2012 at 10:58 am #