Love Sofia Vergara! “Modern Family” is one of the only sitcoms we DVR and never miss.

You cannot talk about Vergara without the picture she cuts in clothes, as well as pop culture. But her talents go well beyond her ta-tas. Her incredible figure is part of her persona and her comedy, so it’s not sexist to say so. It helps, but the woman’s got comedic chops. I’d bet she could do any dramatic role in which she was cast, something I look forward to seeing some day. That is, if the Hollywood weenies will let her break beyond the stereotype that’s making her famous. If nothing else, she’s securing the money to help bankroll any artistic stretch she decides to take on.

The ICYMI story for this Friday night is the heroism of Newark Mayor Cory Booker. His interview on CBS “This Morning” will fill you in if you haven’t heard. Booker ran into a burning building to save a woman. Who doesn’t love a hero? When it’s Mayor Booker, it goes double for me.

To finish up the Hilary Rosen – Ann Romney war, Rosen took herself off the “Meet the Press” panel this weekend to spend more time with her family. Here’s her statement, via The Hill:

“I thank ["Meet the Press" host] David [Gregory] and the folks at MTP for offering me the chance to participate in the Roundtable. It will be an important political discussion, as it always is on Meet the Press. But I have said enough and while I have unfortunately made the Producer’s job tougher today, I don’t have anything more to say. I apologized to Mrs. Romney and work-in-home moms for mistakenly giving the impression that I do not think their work is valuable. Of course it is. I will instead spend the weekend trying to explain to my kids the value of admitting a mistake and moving on.”

You can bet the Republicans aren’t finished with this one, even if the Democrats are trying mightily to move on.

Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, who once strapped his dog to the roof of the family station wagon before embarking on a road trip, has again chosen to thumb his nose at the all-important dog vote by throwing a fundraising birthday party for his wife Ann at the house of Frederick Malek III. While to most people, Malek is just another rich guy who respects Romney’s Reaganesque hair, to dogs, Malek is a living terror – when he was a youth, he was arrested for animal cruelty after police discovered that he and some friends had killed and barbecued a dog.

Jezebel asks: What the everloving hell is wrong with Mitt Romney? Does anyone have an answer to that one?

Here’s a Friday night open forum. Any topic goes.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to Bigger Than Ta-Tas, and Did You Hear the One About Mitt’s Friend Barbecuing a Dog?

1. Ramsgate April 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

Hello Gail Collins. Can’t wait.

2. Lake Lady April 13, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

Just love that Corey Booker.

Don’t blame Rosen at all for bailing on MTP.It is going to be tricky to explain to her kids how one person can get so much criticism for speaking her mind. I guess I am in the minority of thought on this one but I don’t see a thing wrong with what she said.

I do see something wrong with both Obamas reacting the way they did. Come on people. You will never, ever win over the people who hate you.

I can’t even think about the dog story.

3. fairmindedindependent April 13, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

Chris Christie would be in alot of trouble if Cory Booker decides to run for New Jersey Governor. Cory Booker is a awesome person.

On Hilary Rosen, I am sure she was under pressure to not be on MTP, she is getting hammered from both sides, even the President distanced himself from her.

The dog story is sickening, he couldn’t go to the store and buy ribs or chicken if you want to barbecue something. How gross to barbecue a dog.

4. Smooth Jazz April 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

“However, Democrats just might have another dog story to use against Mitt Romney, according to the story from Jezebel, which is backed up by this piece in the Washington Post:”

LOL, You Liberals just got whacked over the head by a 2X4 named Ann Romney, Prez Obama is now losing in 2 major national polls and the best you all could do is……Ta da: wait for it…..A friend of a friend of a friend of Ann Romney was accused of something in …1959…That was thrown out. Yeah, please keep bringing up 54 year old charges, irrelevant charges. If you Lib’s are into history, let’s scrutinize what Barack did in college 25 or so years ago. Yeah, 54 year charges that were through out against an associate hosting a party. Yeah, That’s the ticket.

• AliceP April 14, 2012 at 12:31 am #

Yeah, the republicans are so desperate to pretend that they have not passed legislation AGAINST women and Romeny is desperate to pretend that he is not against women’t rights (even though he wants to close down planned parenthood) that they think a factual statement about Ann Romney never working (you know, like in a JOB which most women do IN ADDITION to raising a family and dealing with whatever life hands them) is just the ticket for the to gloat and win point.

Color the republicans as clueless. Women, not so much. It is obvious that Ann Romney does not represent most American women’s experience. How can she since she’s part of the 1%?

• Solo April 14, 2012 at 8:19 am #

Which two major national polls would that be? A link would be nice.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 14, 2012 at 9:03 am #

It is difficult to produce a “link” when one pulls things from ones ass. Usually the link disappears when you flush.

As for the Dog story….what is with these repugnantklaners and DOGS anyway?!!!! Mittens strapping the pooch to the roof, Hugabe’s kid hanging and stonibg a dog at camp…now this?!!!!! Jeebus crispies, they sound like a bunch of serial killers in training!!!!!!

• Rick Roberts April 14, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Rasmussen and Foxnews for what they are worth, which is not much. Polls will bounce all over between now and November. I think we know this will be a close election.

5. Lake Lady April 13, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

Why do you guys come here trying to pick a fight? Have you alienated everyone who knows you so you go online and try to pick a fight with strangers?

I was just listening to a radio call in show and was surprised at the young at home and working moms who called in and said…Ann Romney does not speak for me. All the village media may be reaching for their fainting salts but regular people out there are smarter than they are.

This is going to be a very close election and the polls will swing back and forth. people don’t vote for first lady.

• Cujo359 April 14, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Why do you guys come here trying to pick a fight?

I keep thinking they answered an ad that said “Work at home!”

Yes, I could be wrong…

6. whitepaw April 13, 2012 at 11:04 pm #

Love Sophia!!! Plan to record this tonight… my husband also adores her (no surprise there).

LL — Agree with you on much re: Hilary Rosen… I still think this has opened up a potential can of worms… Will likly blow over..

Cannot even begin to think about the dog story…

7. RAJensen April 14, 2012 at 6:34 am #

Hilary Rosen’s disparaging work-at-home Moms has served its purpose. In the three day rolling average from Gallup since the kerfufal began, The remark was correctly condemned by the DNC and the Obama campaign and Obama’s favorable/unfavorable ratings have gone up five points in the daily three day averaging Gallup Poll. The day of the Rosen screed Gallup had Obama’s favorable/unfavorable ratings tied at 44-44. His favorabilty is now at 49-44. The DNC and the Obama campaign correctly condemed Rosen’s disparaging work-at-home Moms.

Rose’s comment is nothing new coming from feminiist ‘activists. In 1992 Hillary Clinton made a similar disparging comment about Work-at-home Moms dismiissing them as baking cookies and having tea socials.

My wife was a Work-at-home Mom who in 1992 struggled with raising a first grader and a toddler and I took Hillary Clintons remark as a personal insult to my family. A lifelong Democrat I couldn’t vote for Bill Clinton who I saw as immoral jerk with the moral values of an alley cat, a view that was only confirmed by the Lewinski scandal. His wife’s dismissing my own wife’s struggles as a Work-at-Home wife as beneath her own views led me to cast a protest vote for the insane Ross Perot.

I did vote for Clinton in 1996, I thought he was a good President but that hasn’t changed my mind one iota, he still is an immoral jerk who can’t keep his fly zipped.

• Solo April 14, 2012 at 8:23 am #

If we were in a bar I would be buying you a drink!

8. JoeCHI April 14, 2012 at 6:41 am #

Rosen couldn’t shut-up about how she thought Hillary should concede sooner than later during the 2008 primary.

She can’t shut-up now, either.

She can’t seem to keep her marriage vows, either.

What a tool.

9. Solo April 14, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Before all of you Obama haters canonize Cory Booker some cold water is in order. Mayor Booker is a huge supporter of President Obama, believes in private public partnerships and is a center-left Dem. Gasp! Just like President Barack Obama!

• Rick Roberts April 14, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Solo, get that thing outta your mouth so that we can understand you.

• Solo April 14, 2012 at 10:49 am #

You have a serious fixation! You should change your name to Oral Roberts!

• Rick Roberts April 14, 2012 at 11:20 am #

They have threatened to take away my membership card because I’m not that much into oral sex. You, on the other hand, can’t seem to let go of the president’s popsicle for even a moment of critical thinking.

• Solo April 14, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Leave it up to you to link supporting a particular political leader to oral sex. I don’t view life through the prism of sex like some.

10. secularhumanizinevoluter April 14, 2012 at 9:06 am #

I can understand the outrage over Ms. Roean’s comments…I mean, being a stay at mansion Mom having your EIGHT maids and nannies raise your kids while you ride your Dresage Horsies is hard work ALL women can relate to!!!

11. Smooth Jazz April 14, 2012 at 9:09 am #

“Which two major national polls would that be? A link would be nice.”

Here you go:

And before you claim Fox & Ras are rigged to favor Romney, just remember CBS, ABC, Reuters, NBC, AP & especially PPP, etc etc etc are all rigged to favor Obama. So let’s call it close to even at this point. It’s not going to be a walk in the park for Obama that all his media sychophants keep saying. As bumbling and anti smooth and as Romney is, his background as a businessman and moderate disposition gives him a good chance in uncertain times. Besides, Santorum just left the race so he can turn his sights on the genral now without being attacked by another Repub.

• Ga6thDem April 14, 2012 at 9:17 am #

No one thinks this is going to be some sort of blow out election. The problem Romney has is that he has spent the primary pandering to the radical Tea Partiers. Maybe he can run away from it and maybe he can’t. His background as a business man is not much of a benefit because he was basically a vulture capitalist breaking up companies, selling them off, laying people off and then enriching HIMSELF off of the deals. And your friends in the GOP think that Santorum would be a good VP candidate. LOL.

You should be advising Romney to be running away from the GOP brand and the tea party if you want him to have a chance.

• Solo April 14, 2012 at 9:36 am #

Both those polls are within the margin of error. What does that tell you? The President is in a virtual tie with the GOP nominee in a poll conducted by an organization that trashes the President 24/7! And as for that business man argument, George Bush made that same argument 12 years ago and look what that got us. Unpaid for wars, unpaid for tax cuts, a doubled national debt and last but not least The Great Recession. The same people Bush took his foreign and domestic policy advice from are the same people Romney is taking his advice from. If the GOP was a rock band they would be Van Halen, the frontman changes but not the rhythm section.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 14, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Faux not news?!!!! Rasmussen?!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

• Rick Roberts April 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Do you have gas, Sec? Should I send paramedics?

12. StrideHyde April 14, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Ann Romney is a 2×4?…?
    Lake Lady, you speak my mind. Rosen’s comment was clumsy but I don’t see the Repub machine throwing their friends under the bus the way the Dems do.
    Cory Booker is a mixed bag as far as I’m concerned on policy, but I give him huge credit for taking on huge problems in a deeply troubled city and deliberately locating his office in a sketchy neighborhood rather than isolating himself.

• Lake Lady April 14, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

Booker also lived in public housing for something like three years.

13. StrideHyde April 14, 2012 at 9:58 am #

JoeChi: Do you have any links to back up your statement? I remember Rosen standing by H Clinton until she officially conceded and then she immediately jumped to Obama. Perhaps I’m remembering wrong, but I would appreciate seeing what you have.

14. StrideHyde April 14, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Love all the musical metaphors today.

15. StrideHyde April 14, 2012 at 10:11 am #

“Take the horn outa your mouth.” ;-)

16. StrideHyde April 14, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Ooh, let’s go back to the musical metaphors.

17. alnhrs2@yahoo.com April 14, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

The Obama crowd just can’t keep from bailing, caving and apologizing to Republicans. What Rosen should have said is: “Hey, Ann Romney, you know exactly what I meant. You never worked for a paycheck in your life.” But instead, she followed right in line with Obama, she caved.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 15, 2012 at 8:11 am #