Barbra Streisand Turns 70

I cannot begin to write what Barbra Streisand meant to me growing up as an artist, performer, dancer, singer and entertainer, but especially as a young woman dreaming of a life beyond where I was born. There was film and Barbra Streisand.

When boys in my high school heard me screeching in the shower outside my window, they laughed and made fun of me for weeks. I was a bit embarrassed, because my shower singing was always ghastly, as I stretched beyond my talents as the water relaxed me and took me beyond the boundaries of my life.

What Ms. Steisand has done in her life is not only remarkable, but has made entertainment history. Some of us understood what it meant when it was Ms. Streisand who presented the Academy Award to the first female director to receive it, Kathryn Bigelow for “The Hurt Locker.”

Like many liberal women, she’s been a target of the right, while being a staunch supporter of Democrats her entire life, particularly of former Pres. Bill Clinton, though he’s certainly not the only one. She came to Pres. Obama’s aid recently, while slamming the Fourth Estate for negligence, with a slap at Susan G. Komen for playing politics with women’s health. From a piece she did on Huffington Post from February of this year:

…Journalists need to stand strong and do their job, which is to challenge candidates immediately when they are purposefully misleading the public. They should not be polite or fearful of offending someone when the truth is in question. As we continue through the primary and head toward the general election, this is crucial. Without the mainstream media’s commitment to holding candidates accountable, we have little chance of having a well-informed electorate on Election Day. And let’s look at the facts. The truth is, President Obama’s leadership on the stimulus, bringing the auto industry back from the brink of collapse, adding nearly 3.7 million private sector jobs in 23 consecutive months of job growth proves that our country is moving in the right direction. Because of the President’s policies, our economy is on the road to recovery and it’s time we start celebrating the truth.

P.S. Hooray to everyone who supported Planned Parenthood and spoke out against Susan G. Komen for the Cure, who wrongfully politicized the issue of women’s health. This week we saw how the power of grass roots activism can lead to positive change. Bravo!

I’ve chosen some lesser heard vocals, though I start with the most important; others include Streisand in French, which I love, via “Je m’appelle Barbra” (1966) that you can hear after the jump. I never had the means or opportunity to see and hear Ms. Streisand in person, my money always needed to live, but I’ve heard most everything she’s ever recorded, which was good enough for great joy. “One Night Only” is spectacular, if you haven’t heard it yet. There are so many from which to choose. Oh, and if you haven’t had the pleasure of perusing her book on living and design, it’s marvelous.

Happy Birthday 70th to Barbra Streisand.

Your life has meant so much to so many. I’m just one of them.

Biography

Actress/singer/director/writer/composer/producer/designer/author/photographer/activist Barbra Streisand is the only artist ever to receive Oscar, Tony, Emmy, Grammy, Directors Guild of America, Golden Globe, National Medal of Arts and Peabody Awards and France’s Legion d’Honneur as well as the American Film Institute’s Lifetime Achievement Award. She is also the first female film director to receive the Kennedy Center Honors.

She won Oscars for both Best Actress (“Funny Girl”) and Best Original Song (for her composition of “Evergreen” which has since become a standard.) She also was nominated for Best Actress for “The Way We Were.” The three films she directed received 14 Oscar nominations. A leading film star in dramas, comedies and musicals, her latest film, “Meet The Fockers,” became the first live-action comedy to earn over half a billion dollars and remains the highest-grossing comedy..

An eight-time Grammy Award winner who is the only performer to have number one albums in five consecutive decades, her 51 gold albums, 30 platinum and 18 multi-platinum, each of which, according to the Recording Industry Association of America, exceeds all other female singers. Only Elvis Presley has achieved more Gold albums than she. The RIAA also notes that her 71 million albums sales tops the RIAA list of album sales by a female singer. With the recent debut at #1 of her “Love Is The Answer” album, her 9th record to reach that top spot, the time-span between her first and most recent Number One albums, exceeding that of any other performer or act, is now 46 years. Her most recent album, “What Matters Most,” debuting at Number 4, was her 31st to reach the Top Ten in the ratings charts, with which she passed The Beatles to become the third highest achiever in that significant statistic, exceeded only by the Rolling Stones and Frank Sinatra.

Her civil rights activism and philanthropic pursuits are just as impressive. The Streisand Foundation has given millions of dollars in 2100 grants to non-profit organizations and she has raised many millions more through her performances.

The career of Barbra Streisand has been paved with bold, creative achievements and highlighted by a series of firsts.

For her first motion picture, “Funny Girl,” she won the 1968 Academy Award for Best Actress, the first of two Oscars.

With “Yentl” (1983,”) her first film as a director, she became the first woman ever to produce, direct, write and star in a major motion picture. “Yentl,” earned five Oscar nominations and also brought her Golden Globes for both Best Director and Best Picture.

“The Prince of Tides,” her next directorial feature, was the first motion picture directed by its female star ever to receive a Best Director nomination from the Directors Guild of America as well as seven Academy Award nominations. Barbra Streisand produced the heralded drama in addition to directing and starring in it.

She won the DGA award (Best Director Music/Variety Television Program) in 1994 for her television special, “Barbra Streisand: The Concert,” which she co-directed with Dwight Hemion.

For her very first Broadway appearance in “I Can Get It For You Wholesale,” she won the New York Drama Critics Award and received a Tony nomination.

For her very first solo recording, “The Barbra Streisand Album,” she won two 1963 Grammy Awards. One of these was for Best Female Vocal Performance. The other, Album of the Year; made her the youngest artist to have received that award.

She is the first female composer ever to win an Academy Award, this for her song, “Evergreen,” the love theme from her 1976 hit film, “A Star Is Born.” She was nominated again in 1997 as co-composer of “I Finally Found Someone,” based on her love theme for her 1996 film as director/producer/star, “The Mirror Has Two Faces.” The film achieved two Oscar nominations and the Best Supporting Actress Golden Globe for Lauren Bacall.

She is the recipient of five personal Emmy awards. Her first television special, “My Name Is Barbra” (1965,) received five Emmy Awards, including one for her for best performance, as well as the distinguished Peabody Award, the first of two. This achievement was repeated 30 years later by “Barbra Streisand: The Concert” which won two additional Emmy awards for Ms. Streisand among the five for the production. That show also was accorded the Peabody Award, the Directors Guild of America award and three CableACE awards and it became the highest-rated musical event in HBO’s history. Her 2001 television concert special, “Barbra Streisand: Timeless. Live in Concert,” also co-directed by its star, won four more Emmys, including one for Ms. Streisand’s performance. She is also an Emmy recipient in 2001 for her Barwood Films’ documentary on pioneering women directors in the early decades of motion pictures, “Reel Models: The First Women of Film.” … and much more…

, , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Barbra Streisand Turns 70

1. fangio April 24, 2012 at 12:54 am #

She also likes to sue people who inadvertently take a picture of her mansion. People…people who love people…..are the luckiest people….in the world.

• Taylor Marsh April 24, 2012 at 8:09 am #

…and what a mansion it is! ;-)

2. ladywalker68 April 24, 2012 at 2:19 am #

Thank you, Taylor. Barbra has been an inspiration to me for over 40 years. I adore her!

Great post and great choices for her music.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BARBRA!

• Taylor Marsh April 24, 2012 at 8:05 am #

She’s the grand bitch, baby, and I mean that in the best of ways.

• ladywalker68 April 24, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Agreed, Taylor. One of my all-time favorite movie quotes from Delores Claiborne: “Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold on to.”

Barbra had the guts to stand up and insist her voice be heard in a world ruled by a bunch of dicks. She would not allow them to pigeon-hole her into being just one type of entertainer doing the same old thing.

Guess what? This year also marks her 50th year in show business and she has provided an incredibly diverse body of work and worn many hats with great success: Director, Actress, Singer, Songwriter and in every medium, stage, TV, movies, Starbucks…LOL!!!

Her gifts are bountiful, but her key to success are her intelligence and adaptability. She continues to learn, grow, and be willing to change.

BRAVO, BARBRA!

• ladywalker68 April 24, 2012 at 11:58 am #

This thought just occurred to me; Barbra’s story is as close as you can get to someone coming from very humble beginnings, working very hard, developing your gifts and achieving great success. In other words, the story of what used to be the American Dream only through a woman’s point of view. Of course, she was born in 1942 and came into her career in the early ’60s and was able to ride the wave of women achieving some advances in being treated as “real people” in this country. Of course, women’s rights and the middle class American Dream are all in retrograde right now. I truly doubt if Barbra were born today, that this success would be possible, given the nastiness of the Romney’s of the world, sucking up all the economic air out of the 99% into the giant 1% money vacuum.

I was born in 1950. I have a grand daughter who is 2 and 1/2. My greatest fear is that 2050 will be deja vu all over again and she will be fighting the same fights as I had to back in the 60′s and 70′s. The movie “Groundhog Day’ comes to mind….

Last but not least, do you know that there has been only ONE (1) major motion picture to deal SERIOUSLY (9-to-5 although funny as hell doesn’t count) with sexual harassment and when it did guess what? The movie was “Disclosure” with that wicked CEO woman Demi Moore harassing her poor male subordinate, Michael Douglas. Like we all know that with the hundreds of female CEOs out there, this is the biggest issue and it happens every day! Riiiiiight…

So hats off to Barbra again. I recommend that young women everywhere look to her to see what you can achieve when you control your own wealth. She had to work to get there, but once she did, she took control of her career and never looked back. Oh, and by the way, she managed to raise a fine son along the way, mostly as a single mom.

• whitepaw April 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Great post ladywalker68!

• Taylor Marsh April 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Exactly.

It’s why I related to her when dreaming of getting out of Missouri and on to Broadway. I held on to her story in hopes that some part of it would become mine.

• ladywalker68 April 24, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Thanks again, Taylor, for a great tribute to a great lady!

3. secularhumanizinevoluter April 24, 2012 at 5:51 am #

Wow, I know the big wheel keeps on turning….but these birthdays for icons of my youth never fail to catch me by surprise. 70 Hard to believe. I always admired her for never bending or giving in….not once.

• Taylor Marsh April 24, 2012 at 8:05 am #

I know! 70 is very hard to believe, sec.

4. Chuckg April 24, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Not even sure where to begin…as they made fun of you for singing in the shower, they made fun of me because I loved Streisand….but we survived! If we’re talking about favorites, her album “Wet” is mine, and my favorite song on there is Kiss me in the Rain. It still amazes me that a person with the talent she’s been given, has stage fright….Happy Birthday Babs…..

• Taylor Marsh April 24, 2012 at 8:39 am #

“Wet” is MARVELOUS!!!

…your song now added at the top, my good friend. In honor of what we shared together.

I’ll never forget when stage fright struck me in New York. It was the worst panic in the world. I couldn’t get my voice past the orchestra for an understudy role that meant the world to me. That’s when I knew it was over and something in my life was about to hit like a thunderbolt.

5. Lake Lady April 24, 2012 at 9:18 am #

One of a kind. I know the word genius gets overused but I think she fits the description.

• Taylor Marsh April 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Barbra is a creative genius, no doubt about it.

In chick speak that would be “difficult.”

6. whitepaw April 24, 2012 at 11:04 am #

Thanks Taylor — I have always LOVED Barbra Streisand. The first time I experienced her was as a 12-year old when my mom took me to see the movie Funny Lady. My parents would play her albums and I loved her voice.

Thanks for the music links… I have always especially loved What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life.