AN INTERVIEW WITH PRESIDENT OBAMA in the Situation Room with Brian Williams on the bin Laden raid has exploded.

Sen. John McCain is having a hissy fit.

Breitbart’s Ben Shapiro is either the dumbest political writer on planet earth or is ignorant of presidential commander in chief powers. I’m guessing it’s both. He’s squealing like a little girl that Admiral McRaven was in charge of SEAL Team Six during the dangerous bin Laden raid, which in his mind means Pres. Obama is gutless, though how he comes to that conclusion takes a Olympic fete of intellectual fraudulence only someone from Breitbart could complete.

McRaven’s charge has been known since May 2011, written up by no less than Military.com, which also pointed to the thoroughness of the plan:

About 10 days before the raid, Obama was briefed on the plan. It included keeping two backup helicopters just outside Pakistani airspace in case something went wrong. But Obama felt that was risky. If the SEALs needed help, they couldn’t afford to wait for backup.

He said the operation needed a plan in case the SEALs had to fight their way out. So two Chinooks were sent into Pakistani airspace, loaded with backup teams, just in case. One of those Chinooks landed in the compound after the Black Hawk became inoperable.

Politically motivated and manufactured right wing reaction to the ad above revolves around a CIA memo obtained by TIME magazine, which proves absolutely nothing and raises no questions whatsoever, unless you’re a partisan hack.

That Pres. Obama made the call and got the bastard of 9/11 galls them and they will do anything to discredit a gallant act of pure presidential leadership that was heroic, risky and revealed Barack Obama’s complete and total respect and faith in our elite military forces to get the dangerous, from military aspects to international and political hazards, job done.

I, for one, am loving it and can only say…

Finally.

At long last.

The ad I’ve been waiting to hit.

Unlike George W. Bush, who paraded himself around on an aircraft carrier, then took his place on a podium in front of a banner screaming “MISSION ACCOMPLISHED,” when it actually wasn’t and still isn’t in Iraq, Pres. Obama got the job done of getting Osama bin Laden.

Republicans are squealing bloody murder about an ad they would have tricked up and trotted out long before today. We would have been hearing about this every day since it happened, little doubt the Weekly Standard’s Stephen Hayes, who fictionalized Dick Cheney’s nuclear fantasies ad nauseam, given access to whatever Republican hero who’d gotten the madman of 9/11.

This U.S. military success, under the commander in chief Barack Obama, forever obliterates any question that he doesn’t have the right stuff to lead this nation. Republicans campaign to deny him his moment of leadership is everything that’s wrong with our politics.

Anyone can disagree with Pres. Obama’s politics, I do often and strongly, but Pres. Obama earned and deserves credit for making the decision and okaying the risky SEAL Team Six op to get OBL. It’s long past time he received it and nothing Republicans say should rob him of it.

As for using Mitt Romney’s words against him on national security, don’t make me laugh. Republicans have defamed military veterans who are Democrats, tarnishing their military service, even lying about vaunted combat awards.

That team Obama is hitting Mitt Romney on national security and foreign policy is not only fair game, it would be dereliction of political duty not to. Because unlike on the economy and business, there is absolutely no case to be made for Mitt Romney as commander in chief.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to Arrogant Amnesia: Obama Gets OBL, Republicans Stuck with ‘Mission Accomplished’ Cod Piece Photo Op

1. secularhumanizinevoluter April 28, 2012 at 11:49 am #

“Republicans actually believe the military is in charge of foreign policy and military actions. They have never understood our American republic is founded on the guiding principal of civilian leadership.”

It is about fu*king time this truth was spoken loud and clear. I would also add they have nothing but contempt for the Constitution or as the torturer in chief called it a GOD DAMN’D piece of paper and wish that had been made clear in the add as well.

Keep running this add, jam it down their fu*king throats along with pounding them on their war on women’s rights right up to the election.

2. ladywalker68 April 28, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

Sarcasm ON
    Why Taylor, I am shocked at this statement. Have you forgotten Mitten’s own tale (or is it tail?….I digress) of strapping his dog in a crate and driving with him up there for 12 hours, and how, as commander in chief of his family (5 sons who have never served in the military), he courageously figured out how to stop his car and coordinate hosing off the smelly, diarrhea-soaked dog, and putting him back to continue on??? I mean the entire scenario just makes me well-up with tears and pride of American Way done 1%er Style…”
    Sarcasm OFF

3. Rick Roberts April 28, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Republicans really have lost their minds, and they think the American people are stupid. It will be very easy to put together a video montage of Republicans spiking the 9/11 football over, and over, and over again. Not to mention the syrupy music from country music artists we were treated to in those first few years.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Country music ARTIST?! You mean like Hank off onna bender Williams Jr.?

• Rick Roberts April 28, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

I can’t think of any specific ones right now. I do remember how the Dixie Chicks were branded as unpatriotic for having a different view. It was all so sickening.

4. fangio April 28, 2012 at 12:58 pm #

” Unlike the economy and business their is no case to be made for Mitt Romney as commander in chief. ” I would argue that their is no case to be made for his prowess as economic guru either. Romney and his ilk, through their greed and hunger for money have destroyed what took fifty years to build in this country. They have fed off the carcass of American business to satiate their gluttonous need for more and more wealth. They are anti – American and unpatriotic. They are lucky that I do not have the where with all to be a dictator, for if I did, I would have them all taken out and shot.

5. ladywalker68 April 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

” Unlike the economy and business their is no case to be made for Mitt Romney as commander in chief. ” I would argue that their is no case to be made for his prowess as economic guru either. Romney and his ilk, through their greed and hunger for money have destroyed what took fifty years to build in this country. They have fed off the carcass of American business to satiate their gluttonous need for more and more wealth. They are anti — American and unpatriotic.

Well-said.

6. Isis April 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

“Having it narrated by former Pres. Bill Clinton is a stroke of political genius.”

Absolutely. This also proves wrong many unfounded rumors in the press and shared by many on this blog that the Obamas and the Clintons do not get along, that there is resentment, that Obama looks down on the Clintons or that President Obama is too arrogant to work with them etc….

I must say though that the Clintons are amazing team players, Bill did not have to do this ad, that he did reveals something truly great about him…

As for Republicans being lying shameless hypocrites…what else is news?

• Isis April 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Even though I do not entirely disagree with Romney when he says that it was probably not worth spending billions of dollars to get the one man even if it is a good thing he is out of the picture…and President Obama has yet to explain to us clearly why the hell we are still in Afghanistan.

7. Antonio April 28, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

My personal thoughts……………..

Osama bin Ladin was another US orchestrated political assassination. At one time if I remember correctly during the 80′s and the attempted occupation by Russia,Bin Laden was once a figurehead for a faction of one of the fighting groups defending themselves in that war…I believe it was the Mujahadine…(I’ll have to go back and look).

The US was supplying these groups with arms assisstance and Bin Laden was a part of that resistance. This war lasted for about 10 years…the US supporting this resistance. My guess is that like the great imperialists, and manipulators they are, something happened between Bin Laden and the US(my opinion only), somewhere, somehow he said those death defying words….”NO”! And imediately he became their enemy.

Just as other assassinations have taken place, Tarrios, Roldos, the attempt on Saddam and finaly war. I won’t give the government “that” kind of credit…I truly believe that they already knew where Osama was, for years, that it was a planned and timely political “coup” for the benefit of what Americans call “election”, and now is the perfect time for them to use it. “An assassination for reelection”!

• jjamele April 28, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

Thank you. The idea that the extrajudicial murder of a foreign national, which we would condemn if anyone we didn’t like carried it out, is a reason to elect someone makes me ill. To hear my liberal friends brag about how we murdered a bad guy, like we are all in some cheap western, just makes me sad.

• Taylor Marsh April 29, 2012 at 11:28 am #

Appreciate hearing all sides on this one, Antonio.

8. dafederalist April 28, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

Taylor…I am getting LIFE from this post!

• Rick Roberts April 28, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Because it’s something we can all agree on … mostly. :)

• Taylor Marsh April 29, 2012 at 11:29 am #

@dafederalist Excellent!

9. jinbaltimore April 28, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

sad

10. Ga6thDem April 28, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

This actually is the FIRST decent reelection ad I have seen. It’s really a good ad. It would have only been made better if it had showed Bush prancing around on the flight deck screeching mission accomplished and then having statements from Republicans praising Bush.

That “are you in” is just simply lame.

• ladywalker68 April 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Agreed. Can’t stand “are you in”. That has got to go.

11. LiberalJoe April 28, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

Really like the ad. Can live with the are you in tag line

What I’d like to see/hear is a Dm politician with “stones” yeah I know an oxymoron, simply say to the Repubs to shove their bitching up their ass. That they had no shame showing the towers burning and crashing for political gain, that it is “tfb” for them that they now have to live with clear picture of their failure to catch OBL. That it was a “community organizer” who had the stones to take the risk and succeeded, and not the tough strutting frat boy or the 5 Vietnam deferments chick hawk Pres and VP of the last administration that didn’t.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 29, 2012 at 8:50 am #

I think I love you!

12. JoeCHI April 29, 2012 at 8:19 am #

job done.

The real-life experts disagree. Per Larry Johnson:

Here is the critical part to note—Obama laid the entire responsibility for this mission on McRaven. If the op went sour it was McRaven who was on the chopping block. Not Obama. It is disgusting that Obama is so desperate in trying to get the credit for the actions carried out under the command of Admiral McRaven.

Now, if you ask McRaven, he will credit the President. He is a professional military officer and respects the chain of command; even if the CINC is a dope. But get those guys who worked with and for McRaven in a private conversation and you’ll get a totally different story.

If you were appalled by George W. Bush strutting around the aircraft carrier in 2003 with Mission Accomplished in the background, you should be equally sickened by the spectacle of Rambo Obama taking credit for decisions that were forced on him. He acts like he flew the damn helicopters and fast roped to the roof. This kind of wannabe jock sniffing by a guy who is the Commander-in-Chief is going to stir the feathers among the warrior class. It is a sickening spectacle. The SEALS did not risk their lives to become a campaign commercial for a guy who was drug reluctantly to the decision point. I am glad Obama finally caved and green lit the mission. But he was more concerned about saving his own ass than kicking Osama’s.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 29, 2012 at 8:48 am #

“It is disgusting that Obama is so desperate in trying to get the credit for the actions carried out under the command of Admiral McRaven.”

WELLLLL actuall, being the CINC and all that, and considering it wouldn’t have happened unless the CINC said make it so….PRESIDENT OBAMA DID ORDER IT.

“But get those guys who worked with and for McRaven in a private conversation and you’ll get a totally different story.”

Oh yeah, like he knows, cause any REAL heman would think just like him huh?

“The SEALS did not risk their lives to become a campaign commercial for a guy who was drug reluctantly to the decision point.”

They found him and President Obama gave the green light. PERIOD. And the SEALS did what they were ordered to do…which is their job.

• Taylor Marsh April 29, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Anyone who believes or posits that Pres. Obama wouldn’t have been blamed if the SEAL Team Six mission had gone south or failed doesn’t understand national politics and shouldn’t reveal the fact by laying out an opinion that is laughable on its face.

See Desert One and what that daring military catastrophe did to Jimmy Carter. I was involved in politics, voting, & it killed him politically.

From Johnson:

But he was more concerned about saving his own ass than kicking Osama’s.

This is hyperbolic bullshit. There is absolutely no evidence that this is true. I’ve had many interactions with Larry Johnson, but his emotional antipathy toward Pres. Obama makes fairness impossible for him.

If you want to launch criticism in Obama’s direction start with what @Antonio cites above in his comment, as well as what Glenn Greenwald writes about today. I happen to agree with much of Glenn’s criticism of Peter Bergen’s writing on this one, whom I’ve heard in lecture in DC many, many times and is well versed in bin Ladenism, but simply has gone over to the militaristic dark side.

• Sandmann April 29, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

The real-life experts disagree. Per Larry Johnson…

@ ODS Headquarters, what a shocker.

13. mjsmith April 29, 2012 at 10:03 am #

I am waiting for the video that has President Obama himself shooting and killing bin laden. Things on this mission could have turned out very different. When President Carter gave the go-ahead to send in troops to rescue the hostages in Iran, it ended in disaster. I think that President Obama would have been better to take the high road and not try to take all of the credit for killing bin laden.

When he was first elected President we all came together as a Nation to support our new President. It was very inspiring. That went away with the super majority agenda and President Obama’s refusal to work with both parties. When the news that bin laden was killed last year it was another event that brought the USA together. Even now when I talk with other Republicans they give President Obama credit for killing bin laden. I don’t really see how “rubbing it in” or saying “Mitt Romney did not give the order, I did”, helps his re-election chances.

I remember the vicious lies and attacks against President Bush after 9-11-2001. The crazy michael More film, people ranting that the US Government planned the attacks. Keith Olbermann blaming President Bush for the attacks. I hear some criticizm of Obama for some of the handling of how bin laden was killed and that the body was dumped at sea, nothing very major.

I would like to hear what President Obama is going to do on the economy.

• secularhumanizinevoluter April 29, 2012 at 11:02 am #

“President Obama’s refusal to work with both parties.”

Are you fracking INSANE?!!!!!!! His problem was he kept going buns up FOR the repugnantklan/teabaggers!!!

“When the news that bin laden was killed last year it was another event that brought the USA together. Even now when I talk with other Republicans they give President Obama credit for killing bin laden. I don’t really see how “rubbing it in” or saying “Mitt Romney did not give the order, I did”, helps his re-election chances.”

On what planet do you speak to people? Not this one.

“I remember the vicious lies and attacks against President Bush after 9-11-2001.”

Again, WHAT PLANET have you been living on?!!! The entire WORLD was at Bush’s feet including 99.9% of the Dems after 9-11. That is a flat out lie. A tiny FRINGE bunch of wackos said it was Bush.

” The crazy michael More film,”

” people ranting that the US Government planned the attacks.”

See the reference to “FRINGE”

“Keith Olbermann blaming President Bush for the attacks.”

Well considering the torturer in chief was told virtually everything regarding terrorists using aircraft as missles except the flight numbers and he did NOTHING..yeah, I suppose one could hold him responsible.

” I hear some criticizm of Obama for some of the handling of how bin laden was killed and that the body was dumped at sea, nothing very major.”

From fringe folks….but the repugnantklan/teabagger LEADERSHIP are bitching about OBL’d killing now, Mittens who didn’t think it was worth going after him before he flip flopped on that too.DAMN Marie, what counter universe do you live in?

“I would like to hear what President Obama is going to do on the economy.”

Either you are deaf or you have intentionally not listened.

• mjsmith April 29, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

secularhumanizinevoluter – Thanks for confirming my earlier decision to ignore you and the appropriate one.

“The Michael Moore film was fact based, NOTHING in that film was refuted with any thing even close to facts. NOTHING.” – If you are interested in backing up this with money, please let me know. I am not a gambler, but since the film has been proven to be complete garbage, it is not really a risk.

I think one of your statements you are sort of agreeing with me.

One of the points I am trying to make is that every Republican, Democrat, and every other person I spoke with on this subject praises President Obama for killing obl.

To quote what Taylor said earlier, which I know is true – “See Desert One and what that daring military catastrophe did to Jimmy Carter. I was involved in politics, voting & it killed him politically.”

President Obama put his political career on the line. If this mission was a failure, I doubt he would even run for re-election. President Obama does deserve credit. To say that he deserves to be re-elected for this mission is too far a stretch.

secularhumanizinevoluter – Who is Marie? also if you want to back up your statement that Michael Moore’s film is 100% fact based, let me know. Too easy.

14. ladywalker68 April 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

In response to Bin Laden’s attack, Bush wisely went to war with Iraq, because um…because um…he lied his way into that war because he wanted to. There were no weapons of mass destruction but he road the wave of 9/11 to worm his way into an unnecessary war with Iraq. If I recall correctly, the right made much whoop-dee-doo when they executed Saddam Hussein. That war cost us a gazillion dollars and helped derail the US economic cart deeply into a ditch, and put mega-gazillions into the pockets of corporations such as Haliburton. Even worse, there are negative costs to this country you cannot measure in dollars.

I can understand wanting to go after Bin Laden but the Iraq war never should have happened and that is the war that nearly killed the USA.

15. secularhumanizinevoluter April 29, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

ladywalker!!! How can you spread those”vicious lies and attacks against President Bush after 9-11-2001. “!!!!!

After all, we found all those WMDs…oh, wait…we didn’t.
    But all saddam’s ties to AlQaeda….oh wait…there weren’t any.